NBC Sports Edge Forums

Best teamin the NFC - debate

11 hours ago, WaiverHero said:

My favorite team is the Rams, but it has to be the eagles or the saints. I love the Vikings and case Keenum has been good (thank you for fantasy) but I just don't buy them as an actual contender.

Even after that absolute a** kicking they gave your team two weeks ago?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, jtbgator said:

Mods, please move if not allowed here.

Had a discussion with a buddy of mine last night and debated which team is the best in the NFC.

Eagles or Vikings - we didn't discuss Saints or Rams.

He and I went game by game and he claimed the Vikings were hands down the better team based on schedule strength and wins/losses vs. quality opponents. He claims the Vikings are better due to the fact that the Eagles have had a softer schedule. We went game by game for both teams and anointed quality opponents.

Wanted to share with the forum to get your thoughts.

Eagles (10-1)

week 1 Eagles 30 Redskins 17 (quality opponent)

week 2 Eagles 20 Chiefs 27 (quality opponent)

week 3 Eagles 27 Giants 24

week 4 Eagles 26 Chargers 24 (quality opponent)

week 5 Eagles 34 Cardinals 7

week 6 Eagles 28 Panthers 23 (quality opponent)

week 7 Eagles 34 Redskins 24 (quality opponent)

week 8 Eagles 33 49ers 10

week 9 Eagles 51 Broncos 23

week 10 bye

week 11 Eagles 37 Cowboys 9 (quality opponent; debatable)

week 12 Eagles 33 Bears 3

So Eagles have 6 quality opponents

Vikings (9-2)

week 1 Vikings 29 Saints 19 (quality opponent)

week 2 Vikings 9 Steelers 26 (quality opponent)

week 3 Vikings 34 Bucs 17

week 4 Vikings 7 Lions 17 (quality opponent)

week 5 Vikings 20 Bears 17

week 6 Vikings 23 Packers 10 (quality opponent; loss Rodgers)

week 7 Vikings 24 Ravens 16 (quality opponent)

week 8 Vikings 33 Browns 16

week 9 bye

week 10 Vikings 38 Redskins 30 (quality opponent)

week 11 Vikings 24 Rams 7 (quality opponent)

week 12 Vikings 30 Lions 23 (quality opponent)

So Vikings have 8 quality opponents.

Interested in hearing y'all's thoughts. Thanks.

lmao Eagles played one team with a winning record

I do not believe cam was 100% for our game either, but thats obviously very speculative.

Vikes/panthers/saints best nfc teams imo. Throw in Pats and u have the best teams in the league (steelers overrated)

1 hour ago, Panthers8912 said:

can't wait for ruse wilson to will the seahwaks to victory by himself. If the LoB wasn't on IR this game wouldn't even be close. I haven't seen a team this overrated since the Eagles Dream team

Haha I remember that. They got hyped up like no other especially by themselves before coming out the gates trash. 

This team is obviously better but this game will say a lot. Either the Eagles are legit or Seattle is still a team to worry about. They've always been a second half team either way so we will see.

15 hours ago, SurlyRobot said:

I like how you have 2 teams ahead of the Vikings that they already beat easily.... :blink:

Not sure why you think H2H is the absolute truth for determining for power rankings in playoffs.  If it is, what is the point of even debating NFC power rankings?  I explained my reasoning, and while it’s true McVay didn’t adjust well to the Vikes and got owned,  I think Keenum is exposed in postseason and rank them lower because of that.  Are the Eagles worse than the Chiefs because they lost to them in week 6?

Edited by ap0calypse

The next 2 weeks the eagles play the Seahawks and the Rams, if they win both the answer is simple if they split then we can debate this but right now they are still the best team in the NFC. Also Home field advantage seems very valuable in the NFC for the eagles because of the other teams in the playoff hunt only 2  don't play in domes (sorry Green Bay not counting you) and the Rams play in sunny LA, so if the eagles get home field advantage all these teams would have to come out of their domes in bad weather.

On 12/2/2017 at 3:05 AM, Panthers8912 said:

lmao Eagles played one team with a winning record

I do not believe cam was 100% for our game either, but thats obviously very speculative.

Vikes/panthers/saints best nfc teams imo. Throw in Pats and u have the best teams in the league (steelers overrated)

The Panthers are one of the top 3 NFC teams, ahead of the Eagles?  You mean those same Panthers that not only lost to the Eagles but we’re humiliated by the same Bears team the Eagles just throttled?  LOL. Those are some big homer glasses you’re wearing there. 

The experience vs upcoming is a tough question. Also depends on how you interpret the question. Who's the hottest or who do you see going to the super bowl? I personally view it as who is coming out of the NFC.

For me, it's Saints or Seattle. Goff has one more year before he can really be a threat in the playoffs as does Wentz. Similar to Wilson losing to Falcons and then rolling. Entirely different atmosphere and I simply don't see them just coming in and rolling. Keenum is a career backup and frankly I don't see him turning into a super bowl QB magically. I've stated it a few times already. Who do you take in the 4th Wilson or Keenum? It's not even close. 

Now, obviously people like to scream bias before they can form a rebuttal that is decent so I'll save you the trouble. My assessment of Seattle has been quite harsh and fair. Even more so than most posters here. You can read through the Seattle thread if you want proof. The reality is experience is incredibly important. Rams will lose before they rise and Vikings will never win anything with Keenum. Their defense isn't historically great to make up for their QB.

8 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

The experience vs upcoming is a tough question. Also depends on how you interpret the question. Who's the hottest or who do you see going to the super bowl? I personally view it as who is coming out of the NFC.

For me, it's Saints or Seattle. Goff has one more year before he can really be a threat in the playoffs as does Wentz. Similar to Wilson losing to Falcons and then rolling. Entirely different atmosphere and I simply don't see them just coming in and rolling. Keenum is a career backup and frankly I don't see him turning into a super bowl QB magically. I've stated it a few times already. Who do you take in the 4th Wilson or Keenum? It's not even close. 

Now, obviously people like to scream bias before they can form a rebuttal that is decent so I'll save you the trouble. My assessment of Seattle has been quite harsh and fair. Even more so than most posters here. You can read through the Seattle thread if you want proof. The reality is experience is incredibly important. Rams will lose before they rise and Vikings will never win anything with Keenum. Their defense isn't historically great to make up for their QB.

Seattle ain't winning on the road in the playoffs. They couldn't even do it when the Legion of Boom was healthy, and they're not going to get a home game in the divisional round. 

27 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

just plain dumb! You obviously have not been watching the Vikings play. Keenum has been phenomenal!  He just won NFC offensive player of the month.  The Vikings have beat the Saints, Rams, and Falcons and are now sitting in position as the #1 seeded team in the NFC.  Your whole reasoning is based solely on who the QB is for each team.  While the QB is obviously very important, there are a lot of other guys on the field that can make a big impact on the outcome of a football game.

6 minutes ago, TommyKramer said:

just plain dumb! You obviously have not been watching the Vikings play. Keenum has been phenomenal!  He just won NFC offensive player of the month.  The Vikings have beat the Saints, Rams, and Falcons and are now sitting in position as the #1 seeded team in the NFC.  Your whole reasoning is based solely on who the QB is for each team.  While the QB is obviously very important, there are a lot of other guys on the field that can make a big impact on the outcome of a football game.

Yeah I can easily see arguments for the Saints, Vikings and Rams in addition to the Eagles, but it's certainly not Seattle. Their offense is pretty mediocre and their defense is a far cry from their Super Bowl winning squad.

Edited by miasma16
2 minutes ago, TommyKramer said:

There are a lot of guys that impact it but the QB, especially in the modern NFL, is more important than every other player combined. Saints defense is also very good and Seattle defense is also still very good. This isn't some pathetic defenses yet Keenum can't compare to them. I couldn't care less what he won. Alex Smith set the world on fire and he isn't winning anything ever. 

33 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Seattle ain't winning on the road in the playoffs. They couldn't even do it when the Legion of Boom was healthy, and they're not going to get a home game in the divisional round. 

This is correct and next week will be telling. I believe this is a corner Wilson has turned. There was always a lot of reliance on the defense which would choke in big situations. Now it's an offensive team with the way Wilson is playing. If the defense can still be very good it's just a bonus.