Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

New York Yankees 2018 Outlook


BlueJaysIn2030

Recommended Posts

As a Yankees fan, I'm not a fan of the hire. Would've much preferred Meulens. Or better yet, David Cone (who wasn't interviewed but expressed his interested to Cashman). 

 

I've listened to Boone talk about baseball for hours and hours on ESPN broadcasts and never came away particularly impressed. And on a more personal level he's just a hard guy to listen to for an extended period of time... have concerns about how that will effect the clubhouse over the course of a 162-game season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • tonycpsu changed the title to New York Yankees 2018 Outlook
  • Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This move sounds like Yankees basically wanted Cashman to be manager. Get a guy that can relate to players, but front office should be able to control and do whatever they want strategically with the team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

This move sounds like Yankees basically wanted Cashman to be manager. Get a guy that can relate to players, but front office should be able to control and do whatever they want strategically with the team.

 

I feel like this is what every team is starting to do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Cashman you magnificent SOB.

 

Giancarlo Stanton, Judge, Sanchez back to back to back. I'm literally erect right now over this.

OK, now let's not forget the rest of this lineup:

Didi hit 25

Gardner hit 21

Hicks hit 15 in only 88 games

Bird should be healthy and able to hit ~30

Frazier hit 11 in 66 games

 

This team is LOADED with home run guys... I'm stoked and I hate the Yanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

OK, now let's not forget the rest of this lineup:

Didi hit 25

Gardner hit 21

Hicks hit 15 in only 88 games

Bird should be healthy and able to hit ~30

Frazier hit 11 in 66 games

 

This team is LOADED with home run guys... I'm stoked and I hate the Yanks.

I'm hoping MLB juices the balls even more and lower the mound to ground level. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

OK, now let's not forget the rest of this lineup:

Didi hit 25

Gardner hit 21

Hicks hit 15 in only 88 games

Bird should be healthy and able to hit ~30

Frazier hit 11 in 66 games

 

This team is LOADED with home run guys... I'm stoked and I hate the Yanks.

 

I can't imagine Frazier isn't in the deal. If they're moving Castro seems that somehow Torres isn't in the deal. Who else could they be giving? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

 

I can't imagine Frazier isn't in the deal. If they're moving Castro seems that somehow Torres isn't in the deal. Who else could they be giving? 

Dunno. We gotta wait and see. Torres might be out a while longer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Marlins asked for Torres in this deal the Yankees would've laughed and hung up. It'll be second tier prospects (for the Yankees). Maybe Acevedo/McKinney, guys at that level. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

TWIN TOWERS JUDGE AND STANTON HITTING OVER 60 HOME RUNS NEXT YEAR FIRST TIME IN MLB HISTORY 2 TEAMMATES SAME YEAR HIT OVER 60 HOME RUNS BOOK IT. YOU DONT THINK STANTON IS GOING TO HELP JUDGE HIT SLIDERS? YANKEES MIGHT BREAK THE MLB TEAM RECORD FOR MOST HR FOR A TEAM IN A SEASON ESPECIALLY PLAYING IN YANKEE STADIUM.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

TWIN TOWERS JUDGE AND STANTON HITTING OVER 60 HOME RUNS NEXT YEAR FIRST TIME IN MLB HISTORY 2 TEAMMATES SAME YEAR HIT OVER 60 HOME RUNS BOOK IT. YOU DONT THINK STANTON IS GOING TO HELP JUDGE HIT SLIDERS? YANKEES MIGHT BREAK THE MLB TEAM RECORD FOR MOST HR FOR A TEAM IN A SEASON ESPECIALLY PLAYING IN YANKEE STADIUM.

I wish I knew you in real life because I would take that bet for any amount of money you have.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Marlins will receive Starlin Castro, Jorge Guzman and Jose Devers in the Giancarlo Stanton trade.
As expected, with the Yankees taking on most of Stanton's salary, the Marlins aren't getting much in the way of prospects. Guzman, 21, is a live arm who came to the Yankees in the deal that sent Brian McCann to the Astros. He went 5-3 with a 2.30 ERA, 1.04 WHIP and 88/18 K/BB ratio over 66 2/3 innings in 13 starts at Low-A Staten Island in 2017. Devers, who is the cousin of Red Sox' third baseman Rafael Devers, is an 18-year-old shortstop who slashed .245/.336/.342 in Rookie Ball last season.
Related: Yankees
Source: Joel Sherman on TwitterDec 9 - 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Yankees fan, it's great that Stanton was acquired to strengthen a World Series contending team, but this trade isn't nearly as nearly as much of a steal as it seems. 


Forbes has the Yankees having a team value of $3.7 billion. Stanton is being acquired for 265 million. ~7% of the Yankees entire value is being tied up to one player. Best case scenario, the Yankees get 3-4 prime years of Stanton, where he plays at an all-star level or better, and then becomes an average regular until inevitably playing below replacement value. At the very least, the Yankees are paying Stanton $25M+ per year until he's 39. Without a doubt, this contract will be Pujols-esque or worse.

 

Having Stanton's mega deal will likely prevent them from going after Machado or Harper, who the Yankees would get two more prime years out of as 26 year olds. Additionally, Machado and Harper would likely sign for less money than Stanton's contract is worth, considering how unimaginable it would be for teams to fork up that much cash. 

 

Essentially, the Yankees inherited an obscene financial burden, and gave up an All-Star 2nd baseman (Castro) and a top 100 prospect (Guzman) only because they're too impatient for 2018 free agency. This isn't that great of a trade.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nuts and bolts time.  Who plays where in the outfield now?  Stanton and Judge are corner outfielders. 

 

So centerfield comes down to Ellsbury who sucks but who is stuck on the Yankee payroll forever.  Or Gardner who is always going to be traded and never is.  Or Hicks who has shown he should be playing.  And then there is the curious case of Clint Frazier.  Arizona-style outfield clutter.  Who stays and who goes and who plays center?

 

And don't tell me the Yankees will "dump" Ellsbury and his horrible contract on some other team.  There is no other team that would be that stupid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nuts and bolts time.  Who plays where in the outfield now?  Stanton and Judge are corner outfielders. 

 

So centerfield comes down to Ellsbury who sucks but who is stuck on the Yankee payroll forever.  Or Gardner who is always going to be traded and never is.  Or Hicks who has shown he should be playing.  And then there is the curious case of Clint Frazier.  Arizona-style outfield clutter.  Who stays and who goes and who plays center?

 

And don't tell me the Yankees will "dump" Ellsbury and his horrible contract on some other team.  There is no other team that would be that stupid.

If the Angels were stupid enough to take Vernon Wells contract anything is possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nuts and bolts time.  Who plays where in the outfield now?  Stanton and Judge are corner outfielders. 

 

So centerfield comes down to Ellsbury who sucks but who is stuck on the Yankee payroll forever.  Or Gardner who is always going to be traded and never is.  Or Hicks who has shown he should be playing.  And then there is the curious case of Clint Frazier.  Arizona-style outfield clutter.  Who stays and who goes and who plays center?

 

And don't tell me the Yankees will "dump" Ellsbury and his horrible contract on some other team.  There is no other team that would be that stupid.

I am glad the American League has the DH ..... 

 

i was hoping for this deal to be made the Marlins had to take Jacoby and his contract or some portion of 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • tonycpsu changed the title to New York Yankees 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...