NBC Sports Edge Forums

New York Yankees 2018 Outlook

BlueJaysIn2030

1 minute ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

You're nuts. The Jays aren't moving their best pitcher for an OF with some holes in his swing, even if it includes some other prospect, to a division rival. 

And for the record, it's aterrible deal for the Jays. We KNOW Stroman is going to give them ~180-200ip with a solid ERA every year. We have no idea what Clint Frazier will be. Stro is under control still. 

Bad deal go away. 

why am I getting the heat?   I agreed with someone else's post    lol.   I was away, I just came back.    You will have to do something to catch back up with yanks and sox

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rich22 said:

why am I getting the heat?   I agreed with someone else's post    lol.   I was away, I just came back.    You will have to do something to catch back up with yanks and sox

Because it's a stupid trade idea for a team with many needs (the Jays). 

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nuts and bolts time.  Who plays where in the outfield now?  Stanton and Judge are corner outfielders. 

So centerfield comes down to Ellsbury who sucks but who is stuck on the Yankee payroll forever.  Or Gardner who is always going to be traded and never is.  Or Hicks who has shown he should be playing.  And then there is the curious case of Clint Frazier.  Arizona-style outfield clutter.  Who stays and who goes and who plays center?

And don't tell me the Yankees will "dump" Ellsbury and his horrible contract on some other team.  There is no other team that would be that stupid.

Yeah was thinking the same thing. I think you'll be looking at Hicks in CF as always they'll shop Gardner (what else is new) Gardner is an FA after next year too. At this point maybe they just outright cut Grandma Ellsbury- although considering how much they would have to eat that seems unlikely.  Frazier is tough I really liked what I saw from him in limited action - nice quick bat and he certainly has the prospect pedigree.  I was looking forward to seeing what he could do with serious playing time- doens't look like we will see that now though. I'm not sure what happens to him maybe they opt to have him start the season in AAA - doesn't make much sense to have him start off the season on the bench as a 4th OF. Its also a possibility that they look to move him potentially for some pitching I'd guess. 

@Maxcd99 brings up some really great points and initially I agreed with most of them. Its a ton of money no doubt 265 over 10 - Guzman is a legit prospect with upside he throws 100 mph however he hasn't made it out of A ball yet so there is a ton of hurdles he has to jump through so he's afar from a finished product and when you consider the NYY have a fairly deep farm its overall not a huge loss. Also you have to consider that the Marlins are eating 30M and taking Castro and his 22M so that helps soften the blow monetarily speaking. So from what I've read NYY is taking on 13.5 M AAV hit to their luxury tax threshold- but their quest to stay under the cap for 2018 is still intact. So all told they acquired the NL MVP while still remaining under the cap. Anyway you look at it its not a bad tag for Stanton who is just entering his age 28 season. As far as losing Castro goes I mean he's a useful player for fantasy purposes but if you watch him day in and day out he's just not a very good baseball player IMO. Awful situational hitter with terrible OBP - I wouldn't lost any sleep over Castro. As far as Machado and Harper go - I'm not so certain they would come at a cheaper tag -I've heard that Harper is looking for 400M - will he get it? who knows but the point is that acquiring Stanton for 265 M might not be that obscene all things considered. As far as Machado and Harper being younger? I mean thats true but Stanton isn't exactly old either - he's just now 28. Does Stanton present more injury risk than Machado and Harper? Yes. Although I will say that Harper as missed his fair share of games and isn't exactly an iron man. MM has been a legit iron man past 3 years. Also Stanton now being able to DH occasionally should help mitigate his injury risk to a degree.  As far as the other prospect involved in the deal, Devers, - I admittedly know nothing about him other than his cousin is Rafael Devers and I found this hilarious tweet about it- 

1 hour ago, DidiFan said:

As far as Machado and Harper being younger? I mean thats true but Stanton isn't exactly old either - he's just now 28. Does Stanton present more injury risk than Machado and Harper? Yes. Although I will say that Harper as missed his fair share of games and isn't exactly an iron man. MM has been a legit iron man past 3 years. Also Stanton now being able to DH occasionally should help mitigate his injury risk to a degree. 

It's not necessarily that 28 is old. It's just that they would have more "prime" years if signed to 10 year deals next offseason. With Stanton, the Yankees are getting his age 28-38 seasons. With Machado and Harper, a team would be getting their age 26-36 seasons. I would much rather take Machado's or Harper's age 26-27 seasons rather than Stanton's age 37-38 ones. 

If Harper or Machado sign for ~$400M then my point on Stanton's contract being obscene is weak. While possible, I don't think a team will give up this much money unless they defer part of it like the Nats did with Scherzer.

3 hours ago, rich22 said:

to improve their team.   why would any team entertain an offer?   improve team or lose salary.  In this case they would try to improve team.  Jays don't have a RF.  

Jays have a couple of good outfield prospects in Alford and Tesocar and may be in on the JD Martinez bidding war.  What they NEED is what everyone needs.  Good top of the line pitching.  They would be insane to trade away Stroman for a corner outfielder and anther unproven prospect at that.  Especially one under there control for a few more years.  No way no how they would trade Stroman for Clint Frasier ... unless the other person coming to them in the trade was Sonny Gray maybe.

3 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

You're nuts. The Jays aren't moving their best pitcher for an OF with some holes in his swing, even if it includes some other prospect, to a division rival. 

And for the record, it's aterrible deal for the Jays. We KNOW Stroman is going to give them ~180-200ip with a solid ERA every year. We have no idea what Clint Frazier will be. Stro is under control still. 

Bad deal go away. 

I said a piece not a one for one. Might as well get something for Stroman. The Blue Jays will be nowhere near close to an AL East title anytime soon especially within 3 years. Red Sox and Yankees will be very good for a long time. 

22 minutes ago, kco734 said:

I said a piece not a one for one. Might as well get something for Stroman. The Blue Jays will be nowhere near close to an AL East title anytime soon especially within 3 years. Red Sox and Yankees will be very good for a long time. 

You don't trade away a really good pitcher with 3 years of control left.  At the very least you use him for two then trade him after he has established himself as a true ace.  But it is insanity to let a really good young pitcher with that much control go let alone for three magic beans.  And rebuilds can be done quicker than you think.  Bichette could be up this year and Vlad the year after.  Tesocar was blocked in Houston so he should flourish in Toronto.  Stroman is in a perfect position to be the by then veteran star pitcher in the new Jays resurgence.

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

You don't trade away a really good pitcher with 3 years of control left.  At the very least you use him for two then trade him after he has established himself as a true ace.  But it is insanity to let a really good young pitcher with that much control go let alone for three magic beans.  And rebuilds can be done quicker than you think.  Bichette could be up this year and Vlad the year after.  Tesocar was blocked in Houston so he should flourish in Toronto.  Stroman is in a perfect position to be the by then veteran star pitcher in the new Jays resurgence.

Jays problem always has been that brutal bullpen. I do understand your point on not trading Stroman for a couple years tho. 

17 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nuts and bolts time.  Who plays where in the outfield now?  Stanton and Judge are corner outfielders. 

So centerfield comes down to Ellsbury who sucks but who is stuck on the Yankee payroll forever.  Or Gardner who is always going to be traded and never is.  Or Hicks who has shown he should be playing.  And then there is the curious case of Clint Frazier.  Arizona-style outfield clutter.  Who stays and who goes and who plays center?

And don't tell me the Yankees will "dump" Ellsbury and his horrible contract on some other team.  There is no other team that would be that stupid.

I doubt Cashman's done. Probably going to make a move for some pitching. Perhaps, he'll get more prospects for his his OF depth and put them in a package for a quality starter. At this point, I trust his genius. I don't know what happened but Cashman has done a complete 180 and I absolutely love it. Was getting so tired of him signing 36 year old "names" to 8 year, albatross contracts. Finally, the team is young and full of hope for years to come.

10 hours ago, kco734 said:

Jays problem always has been that brutal bullpen. I do understand your point on not trading Stroman for a couple years tho. 

Since 2015 Jays have had the 7th best BP last year. Soooo I don't understand. And I have no idea what their BP has to do with keeping Stroman.

36 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Since 2015 Jays have had the 7th best BP last year. Soooo I don't understand. And I have no idea what their BP has to do with keeping Stroman.

Just that I don’t view Toronto as any kind of threat in the AL East anytime soon IMO

1 hour ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Well, they aren't, you're right. But trading away a 25 year old stud pitcher keeps them from contending. 

Trading Stroman isn't nuts if the Blue Jays are going to do the rebuild. Trading him for Frazier and a pc would be nuts though.  Stroman should make a good dent in a  team's farm system. One AAA player wouldn't even speed the rebuild along. At best for a rebuild, it is a sideways move. 

2 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Trading Stroman isn't nuts if the Blue Jays are going to do the rebuild. Trading him for Frazier and a pc would be nuts though.  Stroman should make a good dent in a  team's farm system. One AAA player wouldn't even speed the rebuild along. At best for a rebuild, it is a sideways move. 

They aren't going to do a rebuild, though. From everything the front office has said, they aren't rebuilding. It might change, but if that's the case then trading Stroman is nuts.

with Castro gone, who plays 2B?

the Yankees sure have a bunch of extra players that they could trade.

does getting Stanton mean it's likely that the Yankees wont be able to go after Harper?

18 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

with Castro gone, who plays 2B?

the Yankees sure have a bunch of extra players that they could trade.

does getting Stanton mean it's likely that the Yankees wont be able to go after Harper?

It opens the door for top rated prospect Gleyber Torres at 2B.  Which in turn helps clear a pathway for Miguel Andujar at 3B if Cashman can find a way to dump Headley.

The Harper/Machado 2019 stuff has been discussed endlessly up thread.  Summary:  Not a "not able" to get Harper but more a not needed now.  But that frees up the money for a full on court press for Machado.  Of course if Anjujar comes up and is even half of who Alex Rodriguez insists he is maybe Machado won't be that big a priority and the money next year can go into getting a top ace pitcher instead.

18 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It opens the door for top rated prospect Gleyber Torres at 2B.  Which in turn helps clear a pathway for Miguel Andujar at 3B if Cashman can find a way to dump Headley.

The Harper/Machado 2019 stuff has been discussed endlessly up thread.  Summary:  Not a "not able" to get Harper but more a not needed now.  But that frees up the money for a full on court press for Machado.  Of course if Anjujar comes up and is even half of who Alex Rodriguez insists he is maybe Machado won't be that big a priority and the money next year can go into getting a top ace pitcher instead.

this, i think 2nd base will be a competition between Torres and maybe Wade...with Ronald Torryes playing the utility man roll again

and i agree....id andujar can be an avg defensive 3rd basement, the yanks might go after a kershaw or something...which i dont love but its possible

• tonycpsu changed the title to New York Yankees 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic

Archived