NBC Sports Edge Forums

New York Yankees 2018 Outlook

BlueJaysIn2030

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Doesn't matter who was out of the rotation . The pitching was still very good and the best bullpen in baseball . Only need 5-6 innings and they shut the door .

Fact is....not good enough to go deeper in postseason.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well the latest Rotoworld blurb says they are after Gerrit Cole now.

got a link?

and Cole has a propensity to give up homers

not a good trait in The House that Jeter built

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

got a link?

Recent tweet from Olney

Yanks did draft Cole fwiw. Although I'm with you he's not someone I'd go after- he's never quite lived up to the hype and is a bit overrated imo. Though he's still young so thats appealing. 

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

got a link?

Here you go.  Posted right here at Rotoworld on their main baseball page:

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Pirates "are willing to listen" to trade offers for Gerrit Cole.

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reported earlier Monday that the Yankees are interested in Cole, and Olney notes that the two sides "match up well for potential deals" and general managers Brian Cashman and Neal Huntington "have an extensive trade history." Cole, who was drafted by the Yanks in the first round out of high school but didn't sign, is under team control for two more seasons.
Related: Yankees

Dec 11 - 4:21 PM

1) Severino - Ace. Top 3 CY Young

2) Tanaka - Y'all saw his postseason, right?

3) Gray - Could be a top 2 pitcher for a lot of teams

4) Montgomery - slowed down towards the end of his rookie season because of the innings, but man was he impressive

5) Potentially CC?, Chance Adams, Sheffield, someone else? doesn't matter. Cashman will figure it out. 

That's a really good rotation. With a top tier bullpen. This is a dangerous, dangerous, team. 

14 hours ago, ak427 said:

1) Severino - Ace. Top 3 CY Young

2) Tanaka - Y'all saw his postseason, right?

3) Gray - Could be a top 2 pitcher for a lot of teams

4) Montgomery - slowed down towards the end of his rookie season because of the innings, but man was he impressive

5) Potentially CC?, Chance Adams, Sheffield, someone else? doesn't matter. Cashman will figure it out. 

That's a really good rotation. With a top tier bullpen. This is a dangerous, dangerous, team. 

The 5th starter doesn't even matter so long as they can keep the team in a game (heck, with that 1-9 they could probably get away with giving up 4 from the 5th starter). Come playoffs you're looking at Severino, Tanaka, Gray and potentially one extra. Plus that BP is lights out. This is the Indians pitching staff from a year ago (sorta).

Oh boy. Headley traded in a pure salary dump. Helps get even lower under the luxury tax. Could be the sign of another move coming, or maybe just bringing back Frazier full time? Andujar maybe?

Joel Sherman‏Verified account 
@Joelsherman1
#Yankees are getting back outfielder Jabari Blash for Headley/Mitchell. This feels like NYY salary dump, tying Mitchell's upside arm to get #Padres to take all of Headley's $13M pact. Having more financial wiggle room with Headley gone will allow #Yankees to have more room to go under $197M to better chase a SP and/or get Frazier back for 3b. #padres If season started now #Yankees would have to go young at 2b and 3b. But season doesn't start now. NYY loved having Frazier, he loved playing near home. NYY believes Andujar not far away and also that Gleyber Torres could handle 3b if needed.

16 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Provided no further moves for a 3B, do you guys think Andujar will win this job in ST? 

My guess is they'll resign Frazier and let Andujar work on his defense in the minors for a little longer. 

37 minutes ago, ak427 said:

My guess is they'll resign Frazier and let Andujar work on his defense in the minors for a little longer. 

Baltimore is also saying it is ready to trade Machado.  Of course Manny wants to play SS now but hey if the Yankees trade for him he will play where they tell him to play.

O's want two high pitching prospects back so the Yankees are one of the few teams that could pull that off along with St Louis.

Of course the Yankees would want a guarantee of a long term contract with Machado first and not a one year rental.

Letting headley go gives them more $ to look for SP help. Hearing Cash recently he said that SP is the priority as of now. So I'd be surprised if Frazier is the get here.  But I could be wrong - I think this means its Andujar time. 

22 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Baltimore is also saying it is ready to trade Machado.  Of course Manny wants to play SS now but hey if the Yankees trade for him he will play where they tell him to play.

O's want two high pitching prospects back so the Yankees are one of the few teams that could pull that off along with St Louis.

Of course the Yankees would want a guarantee of a long term contract with Machado first and not a one year rental.

In theory, the could shift Didi to second base, let gleybar take third, and put machado at short. But I haven't seen any reports saying the Yankees are in on trade talks yet. 

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

This and why would the O's trade MM to their division rival NYY? Makes no sense. 

^^^ this might be a manny machado 2019 move lmao

but it looks like they are going to give andujar a shot this year at 3rd? and torres at 2nd?  with maybe Ronald TOrryes being the utl glove??

9 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

This and why would the O's trade MM to their division rival NYY? Makes no sense. 

The O's might find it prudent to take the best offer on the table, even if it means sending him to the Yankees. 

3 minutes ago, ak427 said:

The O's might find it prudent to take the best offer on the table, even if it means sending him to the Yankees. 

I mean I totally get what you're saying. Of course they want to get the best deal for him or rather get anything for him before he becomes an FA next year. But the next priority would be to ship him at the very least outside of the division and better yet outside of the AL. A trade to say the Cards or Phils makes a lot more sense to me because they of course have the need but more importantly have the $ flexibility to sign him to a multi yr deal once they acquire him. 

1 minute ago, DidiFan said:

I mean I totally get what you're saying. Of course they want to get the best deal for him or rather get anything for him before he becomes an FA next year. But the next priority would be to ship him at the very least outside of the division and better yet outside of the AL. A trade to say the Cards or Phils makes a lot more sense to me because they of course have the need but more importantly have the $ flexibility to sign him to a multi yr deal once they acquire him. 

I agree, that does make sense. I think the Yanks would have to blow away the O's to make a trade happen, so it doesn't seem likely, especially with his free agency looming. As a Yankee fan, I hope he doesn't extend if he gets traded somewhere else. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to New York Yankees 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic

Archived