NBC Sports Edge Forums

New York Yankees 2018 Outlook

BlueJaysIn2030

3 hours ago, DidiFan said:

CC back on one year deal

great deal

and this means no cole or fulmer. and i like that.

you guys think they can dump ellsbury's salary by including a good prospect like frazier?

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

great deal

and this means no cole or fulmer. and i like that.

you guys think they can dump ellsbury's salary by including a good prospect like frazier?

I don't think that they stop going after Cole at all.  And I really like Fulmer so as a Red Sox fan I sure hope the Yankees don't land him.

As for including Ellsbury in a Clint Frazier trade?  I don't see that.  Why would any team trade for two outfielders and have to sit one on the bench with a big, bloated contract attached to him?  There are way too many FA outfielders, trade-able outfielders and outfield prospects around to get away with a salary dump of one of the worst contracts of recent years in a scenario like that.

6 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I don't think that they stop going after Cole at all.  And I really like Fulmer so as a Red Sox fan I sure hope the Yankees don't land him.

As for including Ellsbury in a Clint Frazier trade?  I don't see that.  Why would any team trade for two outfielders and have to sit one on the bench with a big, bloated contract attached to him?  There are way too many FA outfielders, trade-able outfielders and outfield prospects around to get away with a salary dump of one of the worst contracts of recent years in a scenario like that.

good point

maybe they trade ellsbury with sheffield + to dump his contract.

the reason i said frazier is because hes blocked big time

14 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

also i dont think monty is much worse, if at all, than cole or fulmer

id just roll with month as the 5th, with chance adams as your guy in AAA ready to go

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

good point

maybe they trade ellsbury with sheffield + to dump his contract.

the reason i said frazier is because hes blocked big time

Hoping you mean Gary Sheffield and not Justus. I'd need some serious liquor if they traded Justus Sheffield for an Ellsbury dump. How bad is that Ellsbury contract. As great as Cash has been he's had some serious whiffs in FA like Carl Pavano. 

44 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Hoping you mean Gary Sheffield and not Justus. I'd need some serious liquor if they traded Justus Sheffield for an Ellsbury dump. How bad is that Ellsbury contract. As great as Cash has been he's had some serious whiffs in FA like Carl Pavano. 

you always have to question if they were Cashman whiffs or BOSS's whiffs

i think ellsbury was on the front office...just like giambi and GARY sheffield (who was actually good outside of being a locker room cancer)

5 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

you always have to question if they were Cashman whiffs or BOSS's whiffs

i think ellsbury was on the front office...just like giambi and GARY sheffield (who was actually good outside of being a locker room cancer)

Yes good point. All GMs make mistakes hindsight being 20/20 and all but I did always feel like Cash was too smart to totally sign up for a player whose best asset was his speed and was headed for his age 30+ years. Boston made a similar mistake with the Crawford signing.  It felt like an ownership move - they opted no to re up Cano so they felt compelled to spend on a big name FA and one coming from rival Boston. Almost as if they felt oh why not sign Ellsbury it worked with Damon!

Being a New York Yankee fan, I would like to see Jacoby Ellsbury have a great spring wins and the center fielder job. Because I think he would be the perfect leadoff man in front of all that power ... Gardner batting 9th, Ellsbury in the 1 hole ... 

5 hours ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

Nobody will take on Ellsbury unless the Yankees give them their 3 top prospects and eat some money.

Do you think this Yankees team can win 100 games?

easily. they could have 100 last year

39 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Being a New York Yankee fan, I would like to see Jacoby Ellsbury have a great spring wins and the center fielder job. Because I think he would be the perfect leadoff man in front of all that power ... Gardner batting 9th, Ellsbury in the 1 hole ... 

Being a Yankee fan , you should be hoping they find a team to pawn him off on. As a Red Sox fan, I was happy the Yankees over paid Ellsbury. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching Ellsbury in Boston but his real game relies on his speed. And speed doesn't usually age that well.

45 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

That ship has sailed. The Yankees are 100% set on Hicks as their starting CF. Ellsbury's been a bad offensive player for a while now and Hicks has a far, far better arm out there anyways. 

5 minutes ago, dilly3307 said:

Being a Yankee fan , you should be hoping they find a team to pawn him off on. As a Red Sox fan, I was happy the Yankees over paid Ellsbury. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching Ellsbury in Boston but his real game relies on his speed. And speed doesn't usually age that well.

I agree but finding a team that will take his contract ain’t going to happen ....

I was hoping the Marlins would take him when the rumors about Stanton coming to New York.

I have come to realize Jacoby is staying in New York so being a Yankee fan I am hoping he can find that lightning fountain of youth. 

Or maybe he can play in the minors with your bonus baby Rusney Castillo ... lol 

2 minutes ago, absknicks said:

That ship has sailed. The Yankees are 100% set on Hicks as their starting CF. Ellsbury's been a bad offensive player for a while now and Hicks has a far, far better arm out there anyways. 

Nothing is 100% in stone.... injuries do happen. Hicks had a horrible 2nd half (playoffs included)  yea he was  (injured)

Yea that contract... is a reason why he is hated. 

Jacoby has never had an arm.... 

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

I agree but finding a team that will take his contract ain’t going to happen ....

I was hoping the Marlins would take him when the rumors about Stanton coming to New York.

I have come to realize Jacoby is staying in New York so being a Yankee fan I am hoping he can find that lightning fountain of youth. 

Nothing is 100% in stone.... injuries do happen. Hicks had a horrible 2nd half (playoffs included)  yea he was  (injured)

You said compete for a starting job in Spring Training, now you're broaching the possibility of an injury. 

It's 100% set in stone that Hicks will be the starting CF on opening day assuming health. The Yankees have told Ellsbury as much and Cashman had stated it repeatedly in interviews in recent weeks. 

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

You don't find the "fountain of youth" and Jacoby never did have an arm.  Now he doesn't have much of legs left and seems happy to sit back and collect his money over the next few years.

But don't get me wrong.  As a Red Sox fan I'd love to see Els in center over Hicks, haha.

9 hours ago, absknicks said:

You said compete for a starting job in Spring Training, now you're broaching the possibility of an injury. 

It's 100% set in stone that Hicks will be the starting CF on opening day assuming health. The Yankees have told Ellsbury as much and Cashman had stated it repeatedly in interviews in recent weeks. 

No No I want Jacoby to win the centerfielder's job at spring training. I really hope he is healthy, a healthy Jacoby Ellsbury makes the Yankees better. Just think how much better the Yankees could be with a good Jacoby....Jacoby is staying in New York I can't see him getting traded so me being a Yankee fan I want a healthy and strong Jacoby.

Yea everybody (especially disgusted/disgrutled Yankee fans) hates Jacoby because of that massive contract asnd then having three ugly seasons in a row us the fans are sick of seeing Jacoby. So this year like I said last year I really hope Jacoby can find something and help the Yankees win...maybe this is the year (?)

I did not want the Yankees to Jacoby. His first season in New York was decent then three down years and all the haters are all-in hating Jacoby.

Don't you be one of the many. Jacoby winning the centerfield job will make the Yankees a better team.... with Aaron Hicks the 4th outfielder. A defensive replacement player and rotating to get AB's for jacoby & Brett

Jacoby swiped 22 bases in 356 AB's and was only caught 3 times. I am looking at those numbers and that doesn't tell me he has no legs left.

9 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Now he doesn't have much of legs left

Cashman has stated what? This is copied n pasted.

Following Monday's acquisition of Stanton from the Marlins, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that Brett Gardner will be the Yanks' everyday starter in left field, with Aaron Hicks and Ellsbury competing for reps in center field. American League Rookie of the Year Award winner Aaron Judge and Stanton, the National League MVP Award winner, will be rotated between right field and designated hitter.

Cashman has suggested that Ellsbury will have to come into Spring Training with the mindset of reclaiming his starting role from Hicks.

"He's got a lot of pride," Cashman said of Ellsbury. "I think he's intending to try to find a way to take that job back. The season ended with Hicks as the everyday center fielder, so I think it's easy to presume going in that Hicks would be the everyday center fielder. That doesn't mean that Ells can't take it back."

seems like hicks in CF shouldn't be 100% decided at this point.

hicks had a career year last season. every stat was basically the best he's ever had, by a substantial margin. i'm not saying he can't/won't maintain these gains, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me to see him regress toward his career numbers. until last season, the best wRC+ hicks had ever produced was 96 and that was in 2015. last season he ended up at 127. that's a huge improvement at the plate. was there a known reason for the improvement? or did he just "get better" overall?

the defense opinion is based on stats only,  i'm not familiar enough to have an eyes-on opinion. certainly there's room for disagreement with what the stats say.

hicks defense appears to be superior to ellsbury, but like the other numbers, last year appears to have been a pretty considerable improvement over previous seasons.  in fact, until last season hicks provided very similar results to ellsbury in the OF. 

ellsbury has been up and down defensively for the yanks and providing average defense wouldn't be out of the question.

i'm not saying that hicks is bad, or won't be great, but i'm cautious to anoint a guy who had a career year in almost every aspect as the next great thing. maybe the coaching did it, maybe he just matured into the player he was thought to be, or maybe things just broke right for him.

closing thought: a competition in spring training seems like the most appropriate approach for the yanks, assuming they don't find a way to trade ellsbury.

2 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

i'm not saying that hicks is bad, or won't be great, but i'm cautious to anoint a guy who had a career year in almost every aspect as the next great thing. maybe the coaching did it, maybe he just matured into the player he was thought to be, or maybe things just broke right for him.

closing thought: a competition in spring training seems like the most appropriate approach for the yanks, assuming they don't find a way to trade ellsbury.

Just my 2 cents but its not so much that Hicks is great or heck even an above average player- he could be I'm just not convinced. But its more of a case of Ellsbury being just flat out cooked as a player. Everything mgmt has done indicates that - they've basically done everything but affirm it in a statement. He along with Holliday were both benched in the ALCS the only reason that one still occupies a roster spot is due to their contract. 

Hicks is the starting CF according to Cashman and there's no competition. The Yankees very nearly broke ST last year with Hicks as their starting RF over Judge even after Hicks had a miserable prior year... Cashman and others in the FO are believers in him and have been for a while. And the Yankees know what Ellsbury is by now. I'm not completely sold on Hicks either but barring an injury there's 0% chance the Yankees let Ellsbury start in CF to start the season. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to New York Yankees 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic

Archived