NBC Sports Edge Forums

Miles Mikolas 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Who? Signed by the Cards after reviving his career in the Japan Central League. 

Similar career path as Colby Lewis, but had more success overseas. Cards want him to be a starter. Could  have sneaky value in leagues 12 teams or deeper. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/cardinals-nearing-multi-year-deal-with-miles-mikolas.html

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've watched most of his starts so far, and I love what I've seen out of this guy so far. Currently the league leader in k/bb ratio. Three straight games of 7ip. He also owns a a 50% ground ball rate,

Mikolas had 13 0-2 counts today (and 15 swinging strikes). League wide this year batters have an .829 OPS after starting an at bat up 1-0, vs a .605 OPS after starting a count 0-1. Even before today M

What a show he put on tonight. The KC offense is bad, but they're among the best teams at avoiding Ks, and Miles made them look like a AAA lineup today, scattering 4 hits with 9 Ks and just one walk.

Cardinals signed him to a 2 year $15.5 million deal so they must believe in him. Also means there were probably other clubs boosting up his value. The deal also ensures he will be given legitimate shot to start at the beginning of the year. He's a name to monitor, not sure I'd draft him in a standard 12 teamer at this point.

Edited by Sidearmer
  • Like 1
On 12/6/2017 at 9:56 AM, Sidearmer said:

Cardinals signed him to a 2 year $15.5 million deal so they must believe in him. Also means there were probably other clubs boosting up his value. The deal also ensures he will be given legitimate shot to start at the beginning of the year. He's a name to monitor, not sure I'd draft him in a standard 12 teamer at this point.

That's pretty cheap.  Sounds like he is emergency reserve more than anything else.

2 minutes ago, 96GOAT said:

The Cardinals might as well have just taken $15 million and lit it on fire.  This is a terrible sign.

Why are you so down on him? I think they figure he can be a nice addition to the back-end of the rotation, with a little upside. 

I don't know very much at all about him, other than the little I read in the link I posted. 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Someone made a good point today.  If his name was something like Shattisaki Matsumoto, people would be all over him.  Since he's Miles Mikolas, not so much.  

The Greeks get no love. Opa!

On 2/8/2018 at 11:01 AM, kidtwentytwo said:

Someone made a good point today.  If his name was something like Shattisaki Matsumoto, people would be all over him.  Since he's Miles Mikolas, not so much.  

The bigger truth is he isn't an up and coming star like those players. He is 29 and washed out of the MLB once already. He may be decent but not fantasy worthy. At his best, I see a Kyle Hendricks but I see more of a Mike Leake. The idea is that the pitchability goes farther than the actual stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Mikolas is Greek for "poo poo" because he's stinking the joint up today.  

Yet ANOTHER Mozeliak inspired failure.  Hopefully they smarten up and dump this chump to give Flaherty a rotation spot...though I doubt very seriously that they will.  Mikolas could have a 12.99 era for the entire spring and Johnny Mo & Co. would still slot him over Jack Flaherty.

First start of February is a bit early to call him a failure, but yeah, I'm not seeing much that I like today. He's not locating at all, and control/command is supposed to be a big selling point for him. There's still a month to sharpen up though. I usually give everyone a mulligan for results in their first spring start.

Drafting as a SP6 in twelve teamers. Where's the risk in that? Posted similar numbers to Ohtani in same league and Ohtani is going as SP2 so hard to see a big issue with taking a flyer. I'll be drafting. Cardinals magic and what not. 

UPDATE: wife's hot. Draft with confidence. 

• Like 3