NBC Sports Edge Forums

Miles Mikolas 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

48 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

I cant wait until Mo is fired.  

You and me both.  He's made a lot of bad moves and yet somehow he found a way to get promoted within the organization.  The man must be connected.

• Like 1
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've watched most of his starts so far, and I love what I've seen out of this guy so far. Currently the league leader in k/bb ratio. Three straight games of 7ip. He also owns a a 50% ground ball rate,

Mikolas had 13 0-2 counts today (and 15 swinging strikes). League wide this year batters have an .829 OPS after starting an at bat up 1-0, vs a .605 OPS after starting a count 0-1. Even before today M

What a show he put on tonight. The KC offense is bad, but they're among the best teams at avoiding Ks, and Miles made them look like a AAA lineup today, scattering 4 hits with 9 Ks and just one walk.

1 minute ago, jwblue said:

Since when do Spring Training starts mean anything?

They don't "mean" anything but they are definitely an indicator of how well a player is doing.  Clearly Mikolas isn't fooling anyone with his stuff at this point.

The Mikolas situation is interesting to me. They've pulled him out of the spring rotation to "work on things". They already signed Bud Norris to be a middle inning guy. After getting bombed in a small sample size last year, Flaherty has made some adjustments and is plenty capable of 180ip that SP5's ideally go per year. Lynn is on his couch, waiting for a fair deal. There is no way the Best Fans in Baseball let Matheny & Mozeliak run him out there for the 10 start disaster he was in Texas the last time he was in Mlb. You throw away 10 games, bye bye wild card imo.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, TheBoatmen said:

5 K's in 2 innings so far tonight.  Was pretty good in his last outing too.

I’m watching the game right now and I’m impressed. He’s getting a lot of swing and misses while his command looks good. I’m thinking he’s going too low in drafts and he’ll make a solid SP5. I wish I had more shares.

23 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I’m watching the game right now and I’m impressed. He’s getting a lot of swing and misses while his command looks good. I’m thinking he’s going too low in drafts and he’ll make a solid SP5. I wish I had more shares.

I own him in all so hope this works out.  Wondering if it is the night though.  22 K's combined for both teams and not through 8 innings yet.

I like that he was blasted at the beginning of spring training ... but he was dominant after the first 2 appearances.  It added to the camouflage of a sleeper.   

Edited by phatrat
CSB removed
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, WEIL3R said:

Yes, and his xFIP was 3.00.

He gave up 4 ER from 3 HR.  He looked good to me.

He will give up HR. I listened to a Fangraphs podcast where Eno Sarris described him as an "NL-version of Colby Lewis". He's not going to walk many batters and will put up a solid K/9 but he will give up his share of HRs.

Showed good stuff but iffy command. Breaking ball showed plus potential, but he hung a fair amount. Cain blasted one. Couldn't put guys away with two strikes in the 6th and it killed his chance at a QS. Brewers are going to hit a lot of pitchers hard this year, so the 4 runs itself didn't scare me. The 3 homers are not great to see, but it's one start and his stuff is good enough to deserve a roster spot. Arizona will be a good test for him this weekend. 

Edited by Red Sox Nation