NBC Sports Edge Forums

adding players when out of playoffs!?

10 hours ago, Boy George said:

Is it fair for other people in the league that did not make playoffs to add players off waivers in a normal, non-dynasty league?? I feel like if u don't make playoffs you should get locked out from being able to pick up free agents, so the teams that did make it can only add players. Anybody know any info on this? (ESPN league btw)

Hell yes. Be competitive to the end. Make your mark on the league even if you didn't make it. Don't give people shoe-in players for free.

Real life teams are allowed to pick up players off of waivers until the end of the season, even if these teams have been knocked out of contention.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for it. Not going to bore everyone with the details, but two of the guys that made our playoffs are d**kbags and have been acting that way all season. I feel the other two teams that made it have better rosters, so I scooped Rodgers last week to ensure neither of the two clowns could end up with him. 

Moral of the story: don't be an a**

3 minutes ago, papaphunk said:

Commisioner of my yahoo league, I always lock teams from making add/drops that didn't make the playoffs. 

If there is a consolation bracket which has an effect on the next years draft position, that is wrong, if not that is ok i guess. 

My view is that you should be competitive til the end. Happens to often where someone drafts and then doesn't do anything rest of season or bails half way through. Granted I don't play in some huge money league so obviously the financial aspect isn't do or die but i rather have someone invested regardless that will try and better their team. 

If you feel that playoff teams should have priority on waiver because of their position, that makes no sense. I could be 0-10, i'm still going to pick up the next best thing if i have roster room just so I can make it tougher on the guys who lead the league. Thats the whole point. There is no handouts.

I'm in so many leagues that when I'm in a consolation bracket I can't keep track of which have a prize and which don't.  So I'll often make adds/drops just per normal (although I probably put less effort into those as my playoff teams get priority obviously).  If a commissioner wants to lock non-playoff teams I'm fine with that, but they need to take it on themselves to put that in the league settings and ensure no consolation bracket.

My league has always locked non playoff teams from add/drops to avoid feel bads. The standings this year have no bearing on draft order for next year, teams out of playoffs have nothing to play for so nobody minds. As others have said, it really depends on individual leagues and what is on the line.

That being said, we don't lock teams until playoffs start and everybody plays to try to win their games late in the season whether they're sitting at two wins or ten.

As commish of both of my redraft leagues, I lock people from making add/drops if they don't make the playoffs. This has always been our policy. The guy playing in a meaningless consolation game for 9th place shouldn't get to grab the DST streamer of the week or whatever. 

Some of you guys actually have some good ideas as to why you do and why you don't lock rosters. Based on the ideas and responses, I came up with this as a proposal for one of my leagues next year to address playoff waivers and late season competition. See if this is plausible.

The example I will use is a 12 team H2H format. Top 6 teams make the playoffs (Top 2 get a bye). Same stuff.

This would leave 6 teams either picking their nose, not active until next season (at your draft have you ever heard, "oh who won last year" lol), or making waiver claims for no damn reason :)

The format I would propose would be to have a similar playoff schedule for the bottom 6 teams since so many people in this thread like to play spoiler. The setup would actually start at the beginning of the season where all 12 owners will be responsible for paying up front for the "Loser's Bowl". That amount is totally up to your league. For this example I'll use $30. The top 6 teams that make the playoffs automatically get their "Losers Bowl" money back whereas the 6 teams that did not make the playoffs will play in the "winner take all" pot of $180 PLUS the #1 pick in the following years draft. You can set it up as the team with the most points after three weeks wins or you can do a playoff bracket where teams that finished  #7 and #8 get a bye and teams 9, 10, 11, 12 battle it out in the first round and then follow the same format until someone wins the "Loser's Bowl".

The one catch is that "Loser Bowl" participants CANNOT MAKE A WAIVER CLAIM during playoffs. However, THEY CAN make add/drops after waivers process each week.

This would appease all of the competitive junkies out there looking to play spoiler, continue to keep the league fun and active through the end of the season while still making sure the top teams arent affected.

What do you guys think? Is this format a keeper?

Edited by nonstopfan

If you think teams that are out of the playoffs shouldn't add anyone, why not go the next logical step and just force these teams to release all their players, let the playoff teams claim them, and then let the bad teams scoop up crappy players instead?  I mean, it's not like they have anything to play for.  My 12 team league will essentially turn into a 6 team league where every team is stacked.

Personally I think it's ridiculous.  I went 2-9 in one league so no chance to make it, but I am now 4-9 and you bet I'm trying to win the rest of my games.  Just this past week I won by 3 points and the guy I played would have finished 1st overall with a win and would have made $100.  Feels good.  Just because some people might think I have nothing to play for doesn't mean I see it the same way.  There is pride, there is my overall fantasy lifetime record (which Yahoo tracks), etc.  Actually, in this league, non-playoff teams are now blocked from making moves.  I guess if that is the rule then I knew about it early on and I can live with it.  Better to have a rule and actual locking in place rather than not and just have it be some unspoken code.  Still though, I don't really agree with it.

These leagues are supposed to be competitive, so let's try to keep them that way.  If you are in the playoffs and in desperate need of adding someone off waivers, maybe you should have just put together a better team before week 14.

If settings allow you to then knock yourself out. personally.  I keep playing if I'm eliminated but don't submit waiver claims. However, if there is a free agent available, I will not hesitate to pick up. I've given the playoffs teams first chance. If they drop the ball then too bad.

I think if you play in keeper leagues, you should be able to make moves just like everyone else.

I think if you play in leagues where even the consolation bracket has value (money, next year's draft pick, etc.), you should be able to make moves.

I think even if you want to play for pride, you should be able to make moves.

Bottom line is you can't decide as the commish right now whether or not to lock players, that should be voted and discussed at next year's draft.

6 hours ago, Zekepeak86 said:

If there is a consolation bracket which has an effect on the next years draft position, that is wrong, if not that is ok i guess. 

My view is that you should be competitive til the end. Happens to often where someone drafts and then doesn't do anything rest of season or bails half way through. Granted I don't play in some huge money league so obviously the financial aspect isn't do or die but i rather have someone invested regardless that will try and better their team. 

If you feel that playoff teams should have priority on waiver because of their position, that makes no sense. I could be 0-10, i'm still going to pick up the next best thing if i have roster room just so I can make it tougher on the guys who lead the league. Thats the whole point. There is no handouts.

Auction Draft so we start fresh every year. Teams are competitive up until week 13, then just the playoff bound teams have access to the free agent pool. 

Just hate leagues that have waivers in place that reward the crappy teams, and allow them to pick up prime FA players ahead of the teams that earned playoff spots. 

7 minutes ago, papaphunk said:

Auction Draft so we start fresh every year. Teams are competitive up until week 13, then just the playoff bound teams have access to the free agent pool. 

Just hate leagues that have waivers in place that reward the crappy teams, and allow them to pick up prime FA players ahead of the teams that earned playoff spots. 

I kinda think when last place teams have the first wire waiver each week it adds a lot of competitiveness to the year...Granted it sucks if your in first all year but you just have to be a bit more proactive.

8 minutes ago, Dylanfan66 said:

Teams should be told not to make moves if out of the playoffs and if they do the commish should put them back on waivers.

Told? Unless I am playing with friends,  no random strangers are telling me what to do 

11 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

I kinda think when last place teams have the first wire waiver each week it adds a lot of competitiveness to the year...Granted it sucks if your in first all year but you just have to be a bit more proactive.

Last place priority throughout the season definitely makes my league more competitive. 

In our format we pay $10 per week for the high score, week 1-16. 

We also pay the season high points team all transaction money. Transactions are $1 per trade per team and .50 adds so that usually adds up to $150 or so. 

This is season I missed the playoffs (7th place by record) but I am currently 3rd in points, only 50 behind the leader.  So there are reasons to add players when out of the playoffs. 

I do like the idea earlier about making a toilet bowl tournament as well. I think you would have to collect that money elder the season starts because the bottom teams are sometimes just ready to be done at that point in the season. 

8 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Hell yes. Be competitive to the end. Make your mark on the league even if you didn't make it. Don't give people shoe-in players for free.

Real life teams are allowed to pick up players off of waivers until the end of the season, even if these teams have been knocked out of contention.

If your talking about a redraft that comparison makes no sense.  Real life teams don't redraft every offseason.  They keep their same rosters so of course they are always trying to improve themselves all year.

None of my leagues do it, but I"m in favor of a "toilet bowl" where the teams that don't make the playoffs enter their own bracket with the winner getting the first overall pick.

The opposite of picking up players after playoff elimination?  Cutting your whole roster and watching everyone act like it's black friday at walmart.  No, I've never done it and don't think our commish would allow it.  Would be funny to see though.

If a playoff team needs waiver fodder to make it through what's the difference.  I prefer teams to stay competitive to the very end.  Better way to address is to establish FAAB and everyone has the same exact chance and can spend it how they wish.  

5 hours ago, Dream On said:

If you think teams that are out of the playoffs shouldn't add anyone, why not go the next logical step and just force these teams to release all their players, let the playoff teams claim them, and then let the bad teams scoop up crappy players instead?  I mean, it's not like they have anything to play for.  My 12 team league will essentially turn into a 6 team league where every team is stacked.

Personally I think it's ridiculous.  I went 2-9 in one league so no chance to make it, but I am now 4-9 and you bet I'm trying to win the rest of my games.  Just this past week I won by 3 points and the guy I played would have finished 1st overall with a win and would have made $100.  Feels good.  Just because some people might think I have nothing to play for doesn't mean I see it the same way.  There is pride, there is my overall fantasy lifetime record (which Yahoo tracks), etc.  Actually, in this league, non-playoff teams are now blocked from making moves.  I guess if that is the rule then I knew about it early on and I can live with it.  Better to have a rule and actual locking in place rather than not and just have it be some unspoken code.  Still though, I don't really agree with it.

These leagues are supposed to be competitive, so let's try to keep them that way.  If you are in the playoffs and in desperate need of adding someone off waivers, maybe you should have just put together a better team before week 14.

That first sentence is probably the single dumbest thing I've ever heard on these forums. You're logic is legally retarded.

1 hour ago, cjw99 said:

That first sentence is probably the single dumbest thing I've ever heard on these forums. You're logic is legally retarded.

If you're going to say that then explain why it's so dumb.  I mean, it's not like I am serious about any league taking that step, it was said in part for effect - perhaps that wan't obvious. Regardless, the logic/motivation behind the two things is essentially the same if you really want to get down to it, which is why I made the point.

IMO, you play under a certain set of rules for 13 weeks, you should play under those rules for all 15 weeks.  Most leagues (in my experience) are not 1st waiver wire pick to the last place team, so if you are going into the playoffs then you should manage your waiver position the same as you had to do all year long.  One can argue it's not fair to playoff teams if non-playoff teams can add players, but what about the playoff team that gets a big waiver pickup who otherwise would not have if the rules hadn't changed to appease half the league?  The team in the playoffs that has to play this team might lose because of this and I'm guessing they might not feel all that hot about it.

But hey, we are free to choose what leagues we join and the rules can be whatever that league wishes, and team managers know these rules ahead of time.  So it's all good I guess, I just find myself coming down on the side of let everyone keep playing until the season ends.

Edited by Dream On
19 hours ago, BMcP said:

So a team out of it by Week 8-9 or so should just stop even trying?  Where do you draw the line?

That's a different argument. During the regular season, it is unfair to players fighting for a playoff spot to "stop trying".   It would certainly piss me off if I needed a certain opponent X lose in week 13 in order for me to have a chance at the playoffs and player  X's opponent, for instance, starts an  injured or suspended player.  

What we're talking about here is teams in the "consolation bracket" after the regular season has ended, when there is no benefit  for winning, either monetarily this season or from a roster standpoint next season.  I personally feel that playing spoiler in that scenario is BS. It opens up the possibility of being vindictive, if you don't  like one of the playoff participants for one reason or another.   What I'd say to those owners is "you tried your best, you failed, now stay out of it from here on in."  It seems as though I'm in the minority here but that's how I feel.  

In my league, I can't recall a single waiver move or free-agent pick up  by any team in the consolation bracket. Frankly, it seems a little bit sad and pathetic  to fight for seventh place. Just move on and enjoy your free time I way from  Fantasy football, at least in that league.  Frankly, having a consolation bracket it all is dumb. Just wipe the non-playoff teams off of the board.