NBC Sports Edge Forums

Luis Castillo 2018 Outlook

azeri98

yup this guy will get 30 more innings and not violate the Verducci Principle/Effect.  3 plus pitches, at least.  Slider moves as wickedly left as the change and 2 seamer to the right.  His change fools everyone with the exact arm action of his 2 FBs

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/20/2018 at 6:24 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah also the Sale thing about the "inverted W" too.  Most pitchers are either too small, too tall, too heavy, too skinny, too old, too young, have inverted letters of the alphabet arms etc etc etc.  Goldilocks would have a hard time drafting any pitcher in fantasy baseball.  Wouldn't worry about it.

I vividly remember reading about how Harvey's mechanics were perfect during that magical first half of 2013. Then the second half happened for Harvey. It's ok I picked up Jose Fernandez. But then 2014 happened.

12 hours ago, UberRebel said:

I vividly remember reading about how Harvey's mechanics were perfect during that magical first half of 2013. Then the second half happened for Harvey. It's ok I picked up Jose Fernandez. But then 2016 happened.

FIFY.

4 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Unbelievable...some guy in my league loves him so much, he grabbed him over the likes of Paxton, Cole, Price, Godley...

He’s definitely better value if you wait on him instead of Paxton and Cole who are both way overranked if you ask me.

Is Price even healthy? He’s a big gamble too. I actually drafted Godley two rounds after Castillo is one league. I’m a big fan of Luis this year.

4 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I think he's better than both Cole and Godley, he just won't win as many games (most likely).

I think so too which is why I was annoyed.

56 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

He’s definitely better value if you wait on him instead of Paxton and Cole who are both way overranked if you ask me.

Is Price even healthy? He’s a big gamble too. I actually drafted Godley two rounds after Castillo is one league. I’m a big fan of Luis this year.

So much for the value, he got taken BEFORE those guys, LOL!

On 3/16/2018 at 4:10 AM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I think he's better than both Cole and Godley, he just won't win as many games (most likely).

Yes and no, Castillo seems a better raw talent.. but Given the Astro's are about Cole throwing more of his breaking pitches this year. I see Cole contributions may end up being across the board better than Castillo.

Not like Cole is some soft tosser he throws 96 and his command is little more polished. His K% is a good bet to be hitting a career high this year. While I think the Reds will probably not mess with Castillo pitch selection and keep it more FB healthy.

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

Not a great outing today against the Tribe:

Pitchers IP H R ER BB K HR ERA
L. Castillo 5.0 7 4 4 2 3 1 4.72

Three infield singles in the first inning made it look worse than it was. But I’m not concerned at all. I’d imagine he’d be rusty he missed a good amount of time after the birth of his child.

Not the opening start I was hoping to see, but glad to see he generated a ton of swinging strikes today with the changeup. Didn’t watch every single pitch so I don’t know how often he threw it, but the slider fooled hitters too. When he has his fastball, changeup, and slider all on with command he’s gonna be devastating.

This was a good Nats lineup and they caught him leaving balls in the air or down the middle. The one walk was encouraging too.

What will be key for him this year, especially with his home ballpark is keeping the longballs to a minimum. I’d be interested to see how often he used his sinking two-seamer today and how many of those led to ground ball outs.

Someone in the game thread mentioned Danny Salazar to describe this outing. I disagree. A bad Salazar outing is HRs plus walks, and only two pitches to turn to. The issue today with Castillo was HRs.

8 minutes ago, jwblue said:

This guy needs to finding a good breaking pitch yesterday.

As good as his changeup is it is not good enough for him to rely on à la King Felix in his heyday.

Uh, he has a pretty good slider

Got to see him in person yesterday (I  live 30 minutes away). Seats were decent but man does Castillo's ball have movement and the slider is sick! I drafted him in 2/3 leagues and I am a bit worried. He will have tons of K's but I just do not think he has control over the ball yet, at least not enough to keep the ball from getting into the "fat zone" during the game enough to allow the other team to tee off a few times.

Castillo will eat up some crappy teams but when the legs are playing the other 8-10 teams it could be no good for the ratios. Good value SP3 but not sure he is ready for more just yet.

I was hoping for the exact trajectory of Pedro Martinez 1993-94 but I think Castillo will have a 3.9-4.2 ERA vs Pedro's 3.5

I am no expert but based on the Red's schedule I would bet money on this 4.20/10/203/1.32

I've watched him close this year and he is a fraud.

expect him to round into form a start or three before he hits the ever important "innings limit"

what a joke bill of goods this guy was to anyone who bought the hype 

Archived