NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Richaun Holmes 17-18 Season outlook

bball961

6 hours ago, night said:

Dropped him. If you own embiid you can stash him I guess but his value is too dependent on embiid getting injured. I'd rather own Henson. 

YeA I held thinking he'd get close to 20mins even with Embid playing. Maybe he will eventually but I cant afford to hold ...too many new waiver wire guys

Also had to drop since I don't own Embiid. Was a nice stash in one of my injury slots but until Joel goes down, not really sure Holmes has enough stand alone value.

Coupled with a strong showing last night from WCS and I couldn't hold any longer. But will definitely be watching Richaun closely!

Interesting games the last 2 games.  Not sure whether to jump ship on Holmes yet or not.  He was virtually invisible versus SAC, but woke up again against GS, even with Embiid playing. 

11/9 @SAC

Embiid:  32 mins, 22/15/2/3/0

Holmes:  9 mins, 0/1/1/0/0

Amir:  7 mins, 3/2/0/0/1

11/11 @GS

Embiid:  25 mins, 12/7/2/1/1

Holmes:  21 mins, 11/7/1/0/0

Amir:  DNP

Now, the real question is from this point forward, are we going to see more games like the SAC game or more like the GS game?

I know it's a very small sample size, but hopefully in the next few weeks (which I know impatient fantasy owners such as myself can't stand) we 'may' have our answer...fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I might hang on to this guy all year.  The upside if Joel goes down is just too high, and his standalone value is also decent.

Richaun's post-ASG splits last year: 14/7/1/1/1 with 0.7 threes on 58/34/78 splits.   In 27 MPG.

If he can get up to even 23 or 25 MPG, I can see him putting up 2015-16 Gorgui Dieng numbers for sure.

39 minutes ago, bkw77 said:

And Embiid is suffering soreness in his surgically repaired knee... 

Huh?  Where did you read this?  I am not seeing it anywhere

EDIT: Just dug around and it seems to just be regular soreness.

Edited by alexstr

Yeah, don't blame anyone for dropping now. He's just a handcuff with crazy unpredictable standalone value.

Amir Johnson always stunting the growth of promising bigs. Doesn't help that the Sixers are good this year.

I doubted he had enough value for standard league even as a handcuff, but I drafted him in deep league (20 teams, each 15 players) where he should have enough value. Now I am asking, what do to with him even in deep league. Looks like I did a big mistake. Of course, Rotoworld "experts" again fooled people.

Edited by apatas

Hes a HANDCUFF (possibly the most valuable one in the league). You werent supposed to pick him up for big nightly stat lines while Embiid is still healthy. YES he will get the occasional start if/when Embiid needs rest and YES he will have some decent nights when Embiid is in foul trouble but if you picked him up hoping for him to immediately produce at values that are going to save your season you are going to be disappointed. 

• Like 1

Handcuff is valuable only if he plays for injured player at least 1/4 games and if he plays also in other games 15-20 minutes. Right now it has not happened and as I said Holmes can be only handcuff at deep leagues probably. If you ask, what I expect, then I reply: slightly better than so far, but it is not enough to have standard league value.

Much better handcuff is Kyle Anderson. If you drafted him until Kawhi is healthy, then you just drop him later. But to keep Holmes in several useless games is not smart.

Edited by apatas
  • Like 1

So who are people signing when they drop Holmes? If you're in a 10-teamer he's surely an easy drop. In 12 team leagues with deeper benches, this guy is a must hold in my book. I dropped Dejounte Murray for Kyle Anderson a week ago, and am playing Anderson but have 12 guys better than him that I can play. This is in a roto 9-cat. With depth like that, I have no interest in dropping Holmes for the flavor of the week adds that don't have legit season-long outlooks. That's just roster churn for the sake of being active managers. 

If Holmes gets a real opportunity, he will flourish. He would likely be top 100 IOW almost surely worth starting regularly. There is no downside to keeping him unless your bench is clogged up with injured players, or guys you drafted in top 8 rounds who aren't producing that you're not ready to cut... I can see dropping Holmes before them. To me, Holmes is a homer or a strikeout, and a strikeout at the end of my bench can't hurt me.

3 hours ago, rando said:

If Holmes gets a real opportunity, he will flourish. He would likely be top 100 IOW almost surely worth starting regularly.

If... When he get this opportunity? Man has now been healthy during five games and has played average 11 minutes including one DNP. I am asking everybody here: how I can be sure he will flourish? Give me some proof! Of course in deep league I am not dropping him yet, but if DNP will be happen repeatedly? I don't know is it right comparison, but something similar was said about Boban or Willy Hernangomez. But these men are not playing! They are basically useless. You really think that fantasy managers can wait so much?

50 minutes ago, apatas said:

how I can be sure he will flourish? Give me some proof! Of course in deep league I am not dropping him yet, but if DNP will be happen repeatedly? ...

You really think that fantasy managers can wait so much?

There is no proof of anything that happens in the future, nobody with that ability is going to answer your question, they are in gambling houses collecting their winnings.

With Holmes, the whole idea is he is only worth holding if the spot he takes up is not needed in your active lineup. If you need some starts, you can't hold Holmes. If you don't need starts, stashing him is a great play. Even if he never gets his opportunity (if Embiid is healthy all year), I'll take the zero for the potential he has. I would just have some marginal benchwarming scrub in his spot. This is not that complicated. I can wait forever for Holmes, some can't wait until tomorrow. In the end, it's your choice and holding may be right for one person, while dropping is right for the next manager.

• Like 2