NBC Sports Edge Forums

Joey Gallo 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

The decrease in walk rate is a pretty huge deal. Looking at his career, he's never had a BB% this low at any level. If that can start turning around quickly I'm not overly worried but at 200+ plate appearance sample size is starting to make this look like a legitimate approach change and it isn't a good one.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course it is hyperbole because higher than 80 grade power doesn't exist on paper. 

I really want to own Gallo in my OBP league this year. He was showing improved plate discipline as the year went on last year. His 1st half to 2nd half splits are pretty noticeable. He improved his K/

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Redphan said:

If Joe's not hitting bombs he is useless, at least lay down a bunt and score some runs and help my ANG..geez this guy is practically unownable

He listened..thanks Joe

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mevins31 said:

If you own in a keeper is this the last ride for you? I own him in last round but he doesn’t seem like a guy i can win with 

Theres a lot of season left and he’s starting to turn it around right now.  If he returns to his former self for the the rest of the season he’s right back to being a keeper in any format.  One bad month doesn’t negate the fact that he has been the 3rd best/most consistent overall fantasy player of the last 3-4 years behind only Trout and Altuve.

By the end of the year we’ll probably just be talking about how his steals are trending down, but that’s about it.

13 minutes ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Theres a lot of season left and he’s starting to turn it around right now.  If he returns to his former self for the the rest of the season he’s right back to being a keeper in any format.  One bad month doesn’t negate the fact that he has been the 3rd best/most consistent overall fantasy player of the last 3-4 years behind only Trout and Altuve.

By the end of the year we’ll probably just be talking about how his steals are trending down, but that’s about it.

You do know this is the Joey Gallo thread, right?  Not trying to be sarcastic, but 2017 was his first full MLB season, so not sure how he qualifies as the 3rd most consistent player in fantasy baseball in the last 3-4 years behind Trout and Altuve :lol:

I do agree with your sentiment that it's still early enough in the season not to be making any major decisions on keepers.  His BB% is up over 10% now, and hopefully it keeps climbing.

My bad, thought I was in the goldschmidt thread when I posted that

to answer the question correctly, Gallo is definitely not one to give up on as a keeper right now.  He’s still at the top I. Hard hit %, barrels/pa, avg exit velo, top exit velo and his xwoba is at .380 ranking 33rd overall(100 min pa) 

All he really does wrong is hit too many fly balls, a minor swing change/approach at the plate and he’s gonna turn into a monster for the rest of his career and he’s only 24 so not sure why it would be out of the question 

Edited by BackyardBaseball
  • Like 3

His problem is chasing pitches out of the zone. So far walking at a lesser rate compared to last year. Fly balls aren't the problem as his fly balls turn into HR easily 

Sonavabench! Gallo is on fire

8 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

You can’t bench him. If you’re going to own him you have to budget him in. With his swing and miss we have no idea when he’ll connect on one so you live and die with it. 

Yep I agree. He has the kind of power to carry your team for a period of time but you have to account for his poor batting average by surrounding him with players that have high averages; easier said than done though. However, if you own him in an OBP league there have been some signs of improvement lately. In the last two weeks his OBP has been .383 as he's beginning to take more walks. Since the game on 5/24 he has walked 8 times which is half of what he had on the season prior to that game (16 BB before the 24th). He's ranked as the 60th overall player in my OBP league (rest of the cats are standard) and that's with his .296 OBP which is nuts. If he can get his OBP up to .320-.330 range he could be a monster of a fantasy asset in that format.

• Like 1