NBC Sports Edge Forums

12-17-17 Patriots @ Steelers Gameday Thread

3 minutes ago, FlashGordon401 said:

After this season is over, I have a feeling that there's going to be a significant deliberation on the NFL's catch rules among several other key issues. There will be a notable overcorrection next season with these types of calls.

It should have happened after that Dez Bryant garbage call years ago.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, DJSatane said:

Odds are, if this wasnt against Patriots, the call would of stayed. :)

LOL, bandwagon pink hat logic.  Its the rule.  I agree the rule needs to be rethought, but lets try and be constructive.

Edited by Hellgrammite
41 minutes ago, Tenner said:

Gotta fix the rule. Dude caught the ball. Has full possession with knee down. No defender touched him down. Made a football move. Ball crossed the plane. 

Odds are, it will take even something more drastic to change the rule. Could you imagine a player catching a ball in the endzone, makes three steps while somewhat stumbling, his own teammate jumps on him to celebrate and the ball comes out during the celebration. NFL would say no catch.

I'm waiting for the day when we have super high def slow-mo 4k cameras that can catch someones leg hair hitting the ground and use it to complete a catch. I mean, hell, in the Packer game today a players left a** cheek looked like it touched the ground about 0.00001 second before his right a** check touched the white out the back of the end zone and they OVERTURNED the call to be a TD.

Even ******** Greg Olsen was like, nah, not a catch, out of bounds.

1 minute ago, MJJ28 said:

Replay culture has gone too far. It should be limited to 2 per game by coaches only and also limited to feet in bounds/sidelines and down by contact. All else is unnecessary.

Honestly, I would rather all replays be sent to a group of officials in New York to review plays as a first resort so we don't have on field refs making the calls with millions of fans screaming in their ears as they're watching replays on overhead screens.

1 minute ago, Patsgofor6 said:

https://twitter.com/BDCPatriots/status/942564222172631041/photo/1

Stop it.  Left hand off the ball, ball touching the ground.  It was the correct call.

My problem (as someone who has no skin in this game, Packer fan here) is that I've seen plenty of calls overturned because a player broke the plane of the endzone. Look where he is at in that shot. A good football length over the line.

Show me a picture of that play the moment the ball broke the plane.

Just now, Holben said:

Honestly, I would rather all replays be sent to a group of officials in New York to review plays as a first resort so we don't have on field refs making the calls with millions of fans screaming in their ears as they're watching replays on overhead screens.

I thought it is sent to New York and the tablet booth things are just fake advertising?

Just now, MJJ28 said:

I thought it is sent to New York and the tablet booth things are just fake advertising?

No idea. It seems rather crazy though if we have a group of officials in NY who can't make consistent calls. I always assumed the final call is made by the head ref on the field.

Just now, Holben said:

No idea. It seems rather crazy though if we have a group of officials in NY who can't make consistent calls. I always assumed the final call is made by the head ref on the field.

I think the ruling is made by New York and the refs just stand there doing nothing looking at the tablets because Microsoft paid them to.

1 minute ago, Patsgofor6 said:

https://twitter.com/BDCPatriots/status/942564222172631041/photo/1

Stop it.  Left hand off the ball, ball touching the ground.  It was the correct call.

We know that. Most of the qualms here continue to be the criteria for a catch. 

Something else that makes me think.

(Imaginary scenario) If someone has both heels in bounds with possession. And he is balancing himself for about 5 seconds with just his heels touching....and then leans forward and his toes are now on the out of bounds line....is that a catch? Is a heel good enough to be a "foot"? 

A somewhat relatable play occurred in the Saints-Jets game. Still shot of the right foot and left heel down in bounds.

7 minutes ago, Holben said:

My problem (as someone who has no skin in this game, Packer fan here) is that I've seen plenty of calls overturned because a player broke the plane of the endzone. Look where he is at in that shot. A good football length over the line.

Show me a picture of that play the moment the ball broke the plane.

You do realize that this is irrelevant, because it wasn’t a running play or a catch and run, right?  He was in the process of complete a catch, and he lost control of the ball on the way down.  The “broke the plane” rule doesn’t apply. 

You can certainty argue that it’s a bad rule but it’s a well known rule and the call was correct.  Any BS about the “fix was in” blah blah blah, is just sour grapes.

3 minutes ago, Patsgofor6 said:

You do realize that this is irrelevant, because it wasn’t a running play or a catch and run, right?  He was in the process of complete a catch, and he lost control of the ball on the way down.  The “broke the plane” rule doesn’t apply. 

You can certainty argue that it’s a bad rule but it’s a well known rule and the call was correct.  Any BS about the “fix was in” blah blah blah, is just sour grapes.

Most people recognize that he was much more in the process of scoring a touchdown than he was in the process of making a catch. The “process of making the catch” ended before he turned up field, went to his knees, and stretched for the goalline. The NFL has proven they lack the ability to properly define a catch.

Edited by MJJ28
4 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Most people recognize that he was much more in the process of scoring a touchdown than he was in the process of making a catch. The “process of making the catch” ended before he turned up field, went to his knees, and stretched for the goalline. The NFL has proven they lack the ability to properly define a catch.

I agree with you. The moment he turned up field, he had the ball in his hands, imo. The refs didn't see it that way. The moment that ball broke the plane as he was turning up field and stretching (two football moves) it should've been a TD.

It's a crazy standard theyve made for it to be considered a catch now.  Next year you will have to make a football move, perform open heart surgery, poop out a gold coin,  and hail a cab, all while maintaining control of the ball.  The rule has taken all of the fun out of what could've been some pretty exciting plays.

2 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

They have defined a catch, for better or for worse, and the rule was interpreted properly in this case.  It cant be a catch and run when the pass catcher doesn’t take a single step after catching the ball. He caught it, then turned and lunged forward, all in the same motion.   The goal line doesn’t matter.  Period. 

6 hours ago, Patsgofor6 said:

They have defined a catch, for better or for worse, and the rule was interpreted properly in this case.  It cant be a catch and run when the pass catcher doesn’t take a single step after catching the ball. He caught it, then turned and lunged forward, all in the same motion.   The goal line doesn’t matter.  Period. 

The problem is no one knows whether the rule was Interpreted “properly” because no one understands the rule.