NBC Sports Edge Forums

12-17-17 Patriots @ Steelers Gameday Thread

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

NFL is going to lose a lot of money if calls like this become the pattern of deciding football games. Only people like us into fantasy and diehard football fans will continue to watch. Casual viewership will be widely diminished. Half the time it's barely watchable for me.

This is an overaction to a commonly criticised rule. I don’t know how you tweak the rule but the NFL needs to be careful so as not to make it to grey an area.

As much as I hate the rule it is pretty black and white, and the Call was right to the letter of the rule book. To try and squeeze in an exception within the catch rule without making it more complicated is not as easy as you’d think.

I don’t think the NFL is worried about losing causal viewers, nor do I think casual viewers care about plays like this. 

15 minutes ago, Vegemite2 said:

This is an overaction to a commonly criticised rule. I don’t know how you tweak the rule but the NFL needs to be careful so as not to make it to grey an area.

As much as I hate the rule it is pretty black and white, and the Call was right to the letter of the rule book. To try and squeeze in an exception within the catch rule without making it more complicated is not as easy as you’d think.

I don’t think the NFL is worried about losing causal viewers, nor do I think casual viewers care about plays like this. 

It's not just this play in particular. There are way too many penalties and calls being made all due to technology making it easier to spot everything. Casual viewers are the NFL'S number one priority to gain, that's simple business. Casual viewers do not want to see technicalities determine games; they want to see the big plays that they remember. They don't want to see Matthew Stafford lose a game because of a 10 second run off and a play overturned. They don't want to see Martavis Bryant's 100 yd return TD get overturned because a defender grabbed a guy. They don't want to see defenders being handicapped by fear of losing money by a bad hit. Think of how football games would had been in the 70's, 80's etc. if they had the technology we have now, and implemented accordingly. 

Edited by CharlieWhitehurst
proofread
7 minutes ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

It's not just this play in particular. There are way too many penalties and calls being made all due to technology making it easier to spot everything. Casual viewers are the NFL'S number one priority to gain, that's simple business. Casual viewers do not want to see technicalities determine games; they want to see the big plays that they remember. They don't want to see Matthew Stafford lose a game because of a 10 second run off and a play overturned. They don't want to see Martavis Bryant's 100 yd return TD get overturned because a defender grabbed a guy. They don't want to see defenders being handicapped by fear of losing money by a bad hit. Think of how football games would had been in the 70's, 80's etc. if they had the technology we have now, and implemented accordingly. 

It's not technology that's calling these penalties.  It's bad referees.

The replay on a whole is a good thing.  They just need to really refine some of the rules.  Like that fumble out of bounds by the goal line.  I hate that one.

Problem is replay is over-used.  Every play gets magnified and slowed down to a fraction of actual speed, looking for a reason to overturn catches and touchdowns.

Replay is a good thing, but should only be used to overturn egregious officiating errors.

2 hours ago, RustyMiller said:

It's not technology that's calling these penalties.  It's bad referees.

The replay on a whole is a good thing.  They just need to really refine some of the rules.  Like that fumble out of bounds by the goal line.  I hate that one.

You can't possibly articulate a rule that will unequivocally define every play and situation. At some point, these plays get down to that Justice Potter Stewart moment where a catch is a catch because "I know it when I see it."

Twice this season, the Patriots* have had games decided by plays that were by every measure and common sense a TD catch save for a technical judgement handed down from the NFL in New York City to the game crew after a long review. That is not football. 

There is plenty wrong with the Pittsburgh call but the "fumble" by ASJ in that Jets game was the most egregious BS I have ever seen save the Tuck Rule Game. 

The Patriots* should be 9-5 right now. 

Supposed to be you need incontrovertible evidence to overturn a call.  In reality, now it's there has to be incontrovertible evidence to confirm it's a catch.

I am facing Ben this week, and I still say that was a bull**** call.

3 hours ago, Bastardo! said:

Problem is replay is over-used.  Every play gets magnified and slowed down to a fraction of actual speed, looking for a reason to overturn catches and touchdowns.

Replay is a good thing, but should only be used to overturn egregious officiating errors.

If you think "it might be a catch," then it should be a catch.  It's bad for the league and fans to do otherwise.  

2 hours ago, FreakFries said:

You can't possibly articulate a rule that will unequivocally define every play and situation. At some point, these plays get down to that Justice Potter Stewart moment where a catch is a catch because "I know it when I see it."

Twice this season, the Patriots* have had games decided by plays that were by every measure and common sense a TD catch save for a technical judgement handed down from the NFL in New York City to the game crew after a long review. That is not football. 

There is plenty wrong with the Pittsburgh call but the "fumble" by ASJ in that Jets game was the most egregious BS I have ever seen save the Tuck Rule Game. 

The Patriots* should be 9-5 right now. 

How about those Patriots?

IDK im confused why everyone is upset over the ruling on the steelers pats game. They have said the same thing for years now. You have to control the ball all the way to the ground. And he bobbled it. The tip of the ball actually hit the ground and rested against it without having full control. Im not saying I like the calls but its the call they have been making for a few years now. I saw the replay and within 3 seconds I was like they won't call that a catch.

Edited by StevenSC400
3 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

IDK im confused why everyone is upset over the ruling on the steelers pats game. They have said the same thing for years now. You have to control the ball all the way to the ground. And he bobbled it. The tip of the ball actually hit the ground and rested against it without having full control. Im not saying I like the calls but its the call they have been making for a few years now. I saw the replay and within 3 seconds I was like they won't call that a catch.

Exactly he didn't secure the catch all the way to the ground.  It was obvious the ball moved and the tip hit the ground.  Don't really see how people are arguing that point.  Anyway that didn't cost Pit the game.  They still had a chance you clock the ball with 12 sec on the clock.  Run one play for the end zone and kick the field goal if you don't get the TD.  Even though they didn't do that all Big Ben had to do was throw it away when NE had the only WR that was running a route triple covered.  

2 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Exactly he didn't secure the catch all the way to the ground.  It was obvious the ball moved and the tip hit the ground.  Don't really see how people are arguing that point.  Anyway that didn't cost Pit the game.  They still had a chance you clock the ball with 12 sec on the clock.  Run one play for the end zone and kick the field goal if you don't get the TD.  Even though they didn't do that all Big Ben had to do was throw it away when NE had the only WR that was running a route triple covered.  

Yup. 

Edited by StevenSC400

I mean, even the NFL-employed official explaining his very call referred to it as a “completion.”  Is it that hard to understand why people are confused?!

https://www.google.com/amp/ftw.usatoday.com/2017/12/nfl-steelers-patriots-james-catch-touchdown-review-explanation-video-rule-replay-riveron/amp

8 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I mean, even the NFL-employed official explaining his very call referred to it as a “completion.”  Is it that hard to understand why people are confused?!

https://www.google.com/amp/ftw.usatoday.com/2017/12/nfl-steelers-patriots-james-catch-touchdown-review-explanation-video-rule-replay-riveron/amp

Its like saying in baseball well he caught the ball but it  was still rolling around in his glove when the runner reached 1b so the runner is safe

Just now, azeri98 said:

Its like saying in baseball well he caught the ball but it  was still rolling around in his glove when the runner reached 1b so the runner is safe

You dont have to like the calls but its what they have been calling now for years. 

Just now, StevenSC400 said:

You dont have to like the calls but its what they have been calling now for years. 

I know and agree its just a stupid rule, these guys put their heart and soul, never mind their well being on the line to win a game and they have some jerks on the competition committee telling them a catch is not a catch.

4 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

I’m going to disagree here.  If an NFL official, while describing the play in question, says the pass was “completed,” but it’s ultimately ruled “incomplete,” I think it is a pretty serious problem with the sport.

Yes, by rule it was not a catch/TD. They need to change the bad rule.

He catches the ball has control (no bobble), gets 2 feet down, a knee down, breaks the goal line plane, elbow down....and then as he falls on top of the ball it moves and touches the ground.

notd.0.gif

18 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Yes, by rule it was not a catch/TD. They need to change the bad rule.

He catches the ball has control (no bobble), gets 2 feet down, a knee down, breaks the goal line plane, elbow down....and then as he falls on top of the ball it moves and touches the ground.

notd.0.gif

If there was an index card underneath the ball would it have counted?