Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

12-17-17 Patriots @ Steelers Gameday Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Bastardo! said:

 

Would have been one thing if they had called it incomplete on the field, but stopping the game, slowing down the video to a fraction of normal speed, and searching for a reason to overturn what almost everyone agrees was a catch-- that is what ruins the game.

 

good point, it was ruled a TD on the field.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

 

good point, it was ruled a TD on the field.

 

Don’t forget the NFL’s VP of officiating (I kid you not) explicitly described it as a completion.  After the game.  With time to consider his opinion.

Edited by BMcP
Link to post
Share on other sites

Typical Patriots soul-killer, the team moves on and their victim is eternally frozen in that moment in time, their beating heart having been ripped from their chest, as their mind is doomed to forever contemplate all the "what-if" scenarios, and all the ways in which they should have won. In 5 years, Pittsburgh fans will still be telling anyone who listens that that should have been a touchdown, like the drunken bum in the street yelling about meteors and damnation. This Christmas, I'm thankful to be a Patriots fan. #blessed

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is a huge distortion going on... and that is, Pittsburgh could have easily still been in this game with a spike and a ot push field goal. Also, the coaching staff should have spent the time WHICH WAS A LOT going over plays to run and scenarios with more plays as a contingency. I do not think this happened given the complete baffled look of all the Steelers players on that final play. I wish I can see if Tomlin tried to talk Ben through scenarios leading up to the overturn call. Bottom line is that almost any head coach in the league would have their qb and team prepared with the worst case scenario. In my opinion, this is why the Steelers lost. Calls are calls, but they weren't knocked out of the game due to said calls, they were knocked out due to lack of preparedness by the coaching staff and/or qb leadership. To focus all the energy on rule changes is to avoid the root problem... lack of good coaching is a source of losing games against the Pats. They are rarely outcoached and underprepared.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

I think there is a huge distortion going on... and that is, Pittsburgh could have easily still been in this game with a spike and a ot push field goal. Also, the coaching staff should have spent the time WHICH WAS A LOT going over plays to run and scenarios with more plays as a contingency. I do not think this happened given the complete baffled look of all the Steelers players on that final play. I wish I can see if Tomlin tried to talk Ben through scenarios leading up to the overturn call. Bottom line is that almost any head coach in the league would have their qb and team prepared with the worst case scenario. In my opinion, this is why the Steelers lost. Calls are calls, but they weren't knocked out of the game due to said calls, they were knocked out due to lack of preparedness by the coaching staff and/or qb leadership. To focus all the energy on rule changes is to avoid the root problem... lack of good coaching is a source of losing games against the Pats. They are rarely outcoached and underprepared.  

 

I don't disagree. That is beside the point IMO.

 

We're talking about a rule that needs to be fixed. Not because "it cost the poor victim Steelers the game and I love the Steelers, or I have Jesse James and Big Ben and needed those points" etc.


Again good points you made,  however the rule needs to be fixed and even if the Steelers won after that play, I'd still feel this way.

 

I'm a Packers fan for the record :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

 

I don't disagree. That is beside the point IMO.

 

We're talking about a rule that needs to be fixed. Not because "it cost the poor victim Steelers the game and I love the Steelers, or I have Jesse James and Big Ben and needed those points" etc.


Again good points you made,  however the rule needs to be fixed and even if the Steelers won after that play, I'd still feel this way.

 

I'm a Packers fan for the record :D

I understand this. But imagine he catches the ball, clears the goal line, is up ended and then the ground causes fumble without his knee hitting. Is it a catch? This is why they make rules like this.

And to the guy that says we need a comitee of ex player and smart brains to define the rules... they did. Go listen to Cris Carter on his show, he says he was a part of that rule committee. 

Now on another note I will say two things, when i played that is a td. It is a td on almost every level of football save NFL. Of course I am not some sort of great athlete, but I played the game nevertheless.

Second thing I will say is this, those players and coaches all know the rules. They get educated and have it drilled into their brains. I will give kudos to Tomlin for saying he's not going over the call and replay and all that crap.  He is good at that shielding his team and players. 

We spend more time as fans litigating this crap then the players or coaches do. Truth be told I bet if they ask players, now that the bite wore down, according to your knowledge of the rules and your coaching is that a catch. They will say no. Because they know the rulebook better than we do.

Would you play a golf event without knowing the rule book?  No. And you would have no person to blame but you. Now, some of these athletes make 10s of millions of dollars, and you don't think they know the rules. Good luck on that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

I understand this. But imagine he catches the ball, clears the goal line, is up ended and then the ground causes fumble without his knee hitting. Is it a catch? This is why they make rules like this.

And to the guy that says we need a comitee of ex player and smart brains to define the rules... they did. Go listen to Cris Carter on his show, he says he was a part of that rule committee. 

Now on another note I will say two things, when i played that is a td. It is a td on almost every level of football save NFL. Of course I am not some sort of great athlete, but I played the game nevertheless.

Second thing I will say is this, those players and coaches all know the rules. They get educated and have it drilled into their brains. I will give kudos to Tomlin for saying he's not going over the call and replay and all that crap.  He is good at that shielding his team and players. 

We spend more time as fans litigating this crap then the players or coaches do. Truth be told I bet if they ask players, now that the bite wore down, according to your knowledge of the rules and your coaching is that a catch. They will say no. Because they know the rulebook better than we do.

Would you play a golf event without knowing the rule book?  No. And you would have no person to blame but you. Now, some of these athletes make 10s of millions of dollars, and you don't think they know the rules. Good luck on that.

 

 Again, all good points and I don’t think I disagree with anything you’re saying. 

 

I still believe that the rule could be tweaked. Nothing wrong with admitting that after seeing a few good cases surface. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BigBenTheSteelerMan said:

Has anyone come up with a comprehensive list of rule changes/ re wording/ removal/ proposals?

Yes, let's just take the Pats out of the NFL. Because they have a lack of talent save qb, but great coaching. And all the fans believe it is a big accident. When I played sports, which I admit to not being a high profile athlete, I knew the difference between a great coach and not. Hell, I had a situation as a freshmen where I couldn't play 3rd base despite being better. I only got in games as a pinch runner or a late inning closing pitcher. We got runner up in our state championship and the only call I got was running despite my fielding and arm. Hurts man, but I did what coaches said. Sometimes you have to do what coach says. My point is, despite all this talent it takes a good coach to put pieces together. The Steelers lost the other day because of coaching. They are f ing loaded and scary. But bottom line is, only as good as your coach. We would have won that game if I played 3rd base in my opinion because in that game the senior had 2 errors and went 0 for 5. But we will never know because the coaches coach. Coaching is a huge part of all sports. And they need to take on responsibility despite the outcome. I like Tomlin because he gets it now, but he needed to coach the game the right way at the time despite the talent on the field. I know it hurts, but bottom line in my opinion, the faults are not on the player. It is on coaching.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BMcP said:

 

Don’t forget the NFL’s VP of officiating (I kid you not) explicitly described it as a completion.  After the game.  With time to consider his opinion.

 Let’s not get bogged down in advocacy for a particular team - we should all remember this gem, which was not made up.  

 

The Vice President of Officiating NFL games - after the fact - claimed that Ben Roethlisberger completed that pass.  While attempting to explain the “catch” rule.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BMcP said:

 Let’s not get bogged down in advocacy for a particular team - we should all remember this gem, which was not made up.  

 

The Vice President of Officiating NFL games - after the fact - claimed that Ben Roethlisberger completed that pass.  While attempting to explain the “catch” rule.

 

 

 

 

 

Yes, don't get bogged down on the fact that the coaching staff has a huge amount of documentation on rules and they teach players the rules. Let's ignore this so that we can act more educated then the coaches and players. Go and bring more reasoning to this. 

Edited by PizzaBeerFF
Deleted "I" from convo, like taking me out... ;)
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BMcP said:

 Let’s not get bogged down in advocacy for a particular team - we should all remember this gem, which was not made up.  

 

The Vice President of Officiating NFL games - after the fact - claimed that Ben Roethlisberger completed that pass.  While attempting to explain the “catch” rule.

 

You're obsessed with anything Patriots. I always notice that ham and egger Mattingly in your avatar and make a mental note. What gives man? Why do you let a football team get you so down bro? Don't watch if it hurts so much.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fingers said:

 

You're obsessed with anything Patriots. I always notice that ham and egger Mattingly in your avatar and make a mental note. What gives man? Why do you let a football team get you so down bro? Don't watch if it hurts so much.

 

 

Because Mattingly was a winner when we were in our hay day. I loved Mattingly too. Actually Schmitt was better. Schmitt in my young development was prototypical third baseman. As a sox fan, loved Boggs. But Schmitt kicked everyone for me. Mattingly switched to first and became a real pu@y.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Yes, let's just take the Pats out of the NFL. Because they have a lack of talent save qb, but great coaching. And all the fans believe it is a big accident. When I played sports, which I admit to not being a high profile athlete, I knew the difference between a great coach and not. Hell, I had a situation as a freshmen where I couldn't play 3rd base despite being better. I only got in games as a pinch runner or a late inning closing pitcher. We got runner up in our state championship and the only call I got was running despite my fielding and arm. Hurts man, but I did what coaches said. Sometimes you have to do what coach says. My point is, despite all this talent it takes a good coach to put pieces together. The Steelers lost the other day because of coaching. They are f ing loaded and scary. But bottom line is, only as good as your coach. We would have won that game if I played 3rd base in my opinion because in that game the senior had 2 errors and went 0 for 5. But we will never know because the coaches coach. Coaching is a huge part of all sports. And they need to take on responsibility despite the outcome. I like Tomlin because he gets it now, but he needed to coach the game the right way at the time despite the talent on the field. I know it hurts, but bottom line in my opinion, the faults are not on the player. It is on coaching.

 

Perhaps you just weren't as good as you thought you were.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BMcP said:

 Let’s not get bogged down in advocacy for a particular team - we should all remember this gem, which was not made up.  

 

The Vice President of Officiating NFL games - after the fact - claimed that Ben Roethlisberger completed that pass.  While attempting to explain the “catch” rule.

 

 

 

 

 

It was not a catch ....to complete the catch he must survive the ground and by that means he must maintain control of the football. As we see on the play James does NOT. So no catch. 

 

It’s time to admit ....  the Patriots are the greatest team ever and Tom Brady is GOAT at QB 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

 Hell, I had a situation as a freshmen where I couldn't play 3rd base despite being better. I only got in games as a pinch runner or a late inning closing pitcher. We got runner up in our state championship and the only call I got was running despite my fielding and arm. Hurts man, but I did what coaches said. Sometimes you have to do what coach says

 

We would have won that game if I played 3rd base in my opinion because in that game the senior had 2 errors and went 0 for 5. But we will never know because the coaches coach. 

 

Let-it-Go_0.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Because Mattingly was a winner when we were in our hay day. I loved Mattingly too. Actually Schmitt was better. Schmitt in my young development was prototypical third baseman. As a sox fan, loved Boggs. But Schmitt kicked everyone for me. Mattingly switched to first and became a real pu@y.

It’s Mike Schmidt not Mike Schmitt

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...