NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mario Hezonja 2017-18 Season Outlook

L3onD

i know its bad to wish for another guys to get injured but if thats what needs to be done for my boi Hez to get recognized, im doin that...he never had a real chance and he was always in a doghouse with Skiles and Vogel...thats now 2 great performances in 4 games even tho last game he only played 20mins and had like 2 shots...the boy is a shooter and has that touch, he needs to have minutes if f***in TRoss played nearly 30mins

Edited by L3onD

14 hours ago, Stallion said:

Not touching him in standards because of the risk factor, but in dynasty he's a very intriguing pick up.

There's no reason Terrance freaking Ross should be getting minutes over him even when they're healthy. He's only 22 years old and still a prodigious talent.

I don't see how he is more talented than Ross who around Hezonja's age had a 50 point game since that 28 points game is the hot news. Hezonja seemed to have great potential but has done nothing to justify these reports. Still seems extremely raw. 

28 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

I don't see how he is more talented than Ross who around Hezonja's age had a 50 point game since that 28 points game is the hot news. Hezonja seemed to have great potential but has done nothing to justify these reports. Still seems extremely raw. 

atleast Ross got a real chance with minutes and hes still inconsistent af and this is his sixth season, hasnt changed and improved one bit after that 51 point outburst, Hez was in a doghouse (Skiles never liked him, Vogel probably never knew what he was all about) from his first year til these injuries happened...dude is def more talented than Ross who is a glorified dunker and rather average shooter that only plays good when he gets hot and thats every 20 or so games...hope Hez gets traded cause he can play in this league, just needs confidence, regular minutes and a good coach

The thing is, the Magic declined their team option on Mario for next year. They may have some kind of super genius plan of resigning him while his stock is low or they don't want to resign him at all, and both mean less playing time. His situation is kind of a mess. Don't know if anyone wants to give up assets for a rest of year rental of Mario in a trade.

It's the Magic, I am sure they will handle this situation in the worst way possible.

• Haha 1

Surely will flourish far away from Orlando, missed Eurobasket to grind all summer long with coaches in the States and he received a lot of criticisms back home for that move, he knows this is his last chance to atleast stay in the league

First, why wouldn't you take a short term flyer on Mario? Injuries everywhere in Orlando. He can space the floor. He got minutes in April (27.9) of his first year and threw down a decent line of 10/3/3 with 1.7 stocks and 1.6 3's on good %s. He never got more than 21 or 22 minutes a month aside from that April. He has a path to minutes. He has a fantasy friendly game. You could do much worse as a wire option until the Magic get healthy.

Second, when a young international player has Skiles as a coach that should be all the context you need for his struggles. That is a terrible spot to start your NBA career. He got inconsistent minutes so I am sure he struggled to find rhythm and consistency with his role. As long as the Magic are missing Gordon and/or Fournier his opportunity to get consistent minutes is there. Sure, he will be inconsistent because he is young, but he has already flashed serviceable upside in the last 4 games...rounding quickly here.....14/6/3 with an outlier amount of 3's (close to 4), 2 stocks, and really strong %'s.  

Last thing, and most important for his ROS outlook, the Magic declined his option so I think this is the exact same situation as Jahlil. Orlando can only offer him a one year contract for 120% of the declined option amount. If they trade him to another team, that team would have the same financial limitations. I only think Mario will produce when the roster is decimated with injuries. Giving him a 6th man type of role is pointless because he will price himself out of Orlando. This is an instance where the team should have picked up the option and just gutted it if it didn't work out. Now that the potential is being flashed, everyone is screwed. Well played Orlando...bravo!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

First, why wouldn't you take a short term flyer on Mario? Injuries everywhere in Orlando. He can space the floor. He got minutes in April (27.9) of his first year and threw down a decent line of 10/3/3 with 1.7 stocks and 1.6 3's on good %s. He never got more than 21 or 22 minutes a month aside from that April. He has a path to minutes. He has a fantasy friendly game. You could do much worse as a wire option until the Magic get healthy.

Second, when a young international player has Skiles as a coach that should be all the context you need for his struggles. That is a terrible spot to start your NBA career. He got inconsistent minutes so I am sure he struggled to find rhythm and consistency with his role. As long as the Magic are missing Gordon and/or Fournier his opportunity to get consistent minutes is there. Sure, he will be inconsistent because he is young, but he has already flashed serviceable upside in the last 4 games...rounding quickly here.....14/6/3 with an outlier amount of 3's (close to 4), 2 stocks, and really strong %'s.  

Last thing, and most important for his ROS outlook, the Magic declined his option so I think this is the exact same situation as Jahlil. Orlando can only offer him a one year contract for 120% of the declined option amount. If they trade him to another team, that team would have the same financial limitations. I only think Mario will produce when the roster is decimated with injuries. Giving him a 6th man type of role is pointless because he will price himself out of Orlando. This is an instance where the team should have picked up the option and just gutted it if it didn't work out. Now that the potential is being flashed, everyone is screwed. Well played Orlando...bravo!

you the man bro!

• Like 1

What do you thing about him with Vucevic out 6-8 weeks..

The starter will be Payton/Fournier/Simmons/Gordon/Biyombo

Mario could receive around 25min from the bench?...small ball time?

we probably have an answer tonight..?

Edited by 23_gaby_23

• 2 weeks later...