NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mario Hezonja 2017-18 Season Outlook

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First, why wouldn't you take a short term flyer on Mario? Injuries everywhere in Orlando. He can space the floor. He got minutes in April (27.9) of his first year and threw down a decent line of 10/3/

He's legit. It makes you wonder why the Magic, a team in need of talent, would just let Hezonja walk after this year. If they really didn't like him, did it ever occur to them to start Hezonja earlier

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:04 PM, NBA_OG said:

Super Mario is such a hard call for me right now because there are FAs worth picking up in my league. 

But this kid's upside is way too strong. If Magic doesn't consider reshuffling lineup then I really don't see Mario having the value coming off the bench. Here is what a "healthy squad" Orlando team would look like-

C- Vuc, Bismack

PF- Gordon (Herzonjia?)

SF- Simmons (Herzonjia?)

SG- Fournier

PG- Augustin

Additionally, it seems like Ross and Isaac's return is matter of when not if-

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-orlando-magic-notes-0203-story.html

With all these players, it's a matter of time before Mario needs to be dropped. Hate to say it, but it has been a good seeing this kid of a beast go off. Orlando made a mistake by not picking up his next year's option. 

yeah i was gonna hold but didn't like seeing Collins sitting on the wire. 

On 2/16/2018 at 6:47 AM, DavidbivaD said:

Mario's best minutes have come from the PF position. Which is AG's spot. 

Also, J Simmons was literally JUST paid by the magic in the summer. The same summer that they decided they didn't like Mario.

Honestly, I get everyone wanting Mario to continue being Super Mario, but every single arrow points to a big, fat NO.

I get it. I have him too. I want him to keep doing this and be an amazing waiver pickup.

Unfortunately, he's not going to, because Magic not only have no incentive to play him, they have incentive to NOT play him. 

The less other teams notice and take interest in Mario, actually BETTERS the Magic's chances to resign Mario.

If I was the Magic, I'd be hoping to put him back into small minutes, and hoping he sucks in those minutes.

That way, he won't command more $ than his rookie option, and THAT would allow me to resign him. 

We all just need to prepare for the huge, inevitable drop off that's coming after the ASB.

Sad. Face.

Have to disagree about the middle part... if they don't play him he's even LESS likely to re-sign there on a rookie scale 1 year deal.. teams obviously see what he's doing right now - scouts aren't stupid. Some bad team (like the Hawks or BKN or Mavs) whom are talent starved would definitely make an effort to sign him, so not playing him is essentially a death sentence, the only way they can hope to retain him is to play him and sell him on the idea that they want to build forward with him as part of the core.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Raziballs3324 said:

I think he is, in terms of being a third option in the future on a championship team. But if he would have to carry the team (and not win anything, both cases)... I give AG the edge. 2nd option, then it depends, probably still AG.

So Hezonja is a better third option, but AG a better first or second. Man when you say someone is better you cannot talk about the hypothetical scenario that the Magic bring two so good players that they choose who fits better as a third option. AG is a better basketball player right now.

Edited by RipCity0
18 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

So Hezonja is a better third option, but AG a better first or second. Man when you say someone is better you cannot talk about the hypothetical scenario that the Magic bring two so good players that they choose who fits better as a third option. AG is a better basketball player right now.

Oh, you most definitely can... Like for example Prime Pau Gasol is THE BETTER basketball player than Prime Blake Griffin or IT.... However.... as a first option I would take BG or IT over Pau.... while you are definitely winning more with Pau as the 2nd option vs BG...

Also if you actually read my response... it states that Hez is better under certain conditions... and is an overall better player... but he is nowhere near assertive/aggressive enough to fill a 1st (and probably 2nd) man role...

Edited by Raziballs3324
Clarity
2 hours ago, Raziballs3324 said:

Oh, you most definitely can... Like for example Prime Pau Gasol is THE BETTER basketball player than Prime Blake Griffin or IT.... However.... as a first option I would take BG or IT over Pau.... while you are definitely winning more with Pau as the 2nd option vs BG...

Also if you actually read my response... it states that Hez is better under certain conditions... and is an overall better player... but he is nowhere near assertive/aggressive enough to fill a 1st (and probably 2nd) man role...

You have to reach conclusions based on the facts you have. We are talking about the Magic. I disagree with Hezonja being even a 5th better option than AG anyway. And even in this Magic team AG was an excellent 3rd option in the beginning of the season and before Vooch went down. I remember people complaining he was too good to only be a 3rd option, because he was exceptional already in his role and looked ready for more. 

1 hour ago, RipCity0 said:

You have to reach conclusions based on the facts you have. We are talking about the Magic. I disagree with Hezonja being even a 5th better option than AG anyway. And even in this Magic team AG was an excellent 3rd option in the beginning of the season and before Vooch went down. I remember people complaining he was too good to only be a 3rd option, because he was exceptional already in his role and looked ready for more. 

Well, to be honest, AG has not proven that he's a good first option either. Sure, he's flashy, but we all know how things went without Vooch.

8 hours ago, Mambamode said:

Finally some good news after yesterdays announcement of Hawks not starting Collins. Yeah, I got J Allen, J Collins and M Hezonja on my team.

8 hours ago, mmcc1029 said:

me too!!! :lol:

I got all 3 too... haha

At the very least the minutes will be at around 25. 

Hezonja will have high usage from here and out. He just needs mediocre playing time. 

Frank Vogel was asked how he could maintain Hezonja's rhythm with the second unit, he replied, "Keep playing him a lot of minutes. I intend to keep him in there."