NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coaching Carousel 2018 Edition

1 hour ago, RustyMiller said:

"The Seattle Seahawks have fired offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell after seven seasons, a source confirmed to ESPN."

Can't say I'm surprised.

Sort of difficult to have a good offense when you can't build a decent o-line.  That's the perils of having alot of young  cheap players who turn out to be stars when their rookie deals are done. .less money to build.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RustyMiller said:

"I guess I have to say it," Saban said. "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

(I do agree I don't see him going to NFL.  He's too old and his record in the NFL wasn't great.  It's just interesting you have possibly the greatest nfl coach and greatest college coach both rumored around the Giants job.)

Did he really say this?  That’s pretty funny!

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

Sort of difficult to have a good offense when you can't build a decent o-line.  That's the perils of having alot of young  cheap players who turn out to be stars when their rookie deals are done. .less money to build.

Not to mention the perils of throwing on the one when you have BeastMode on your team.

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

Jason La Canfora reports "many expect" Falcons OC Steve Sarkisian to end up as the Seahawks' offensive coordinator

Yeah that isn't happening unless the Falcons feel they can find a better replacement. He is under contract and the Falcons can reject interview requests.

3 hours ago, dashoe said:

You can't blame it on the o line completely though.

For alot of the season they looked horrible in the first three quarters.  But looked unstoppable in the 4th quarter.  I'm not sure who to put the blame on why the offense looked so bad for 3 quarters and good for one but a change would be good for them.

I think it was that they were stuck in their old ground and pound mentality when they really didn't have the players to support it. And only let Russell loose when they realized it wasn't working.  If this new OC opens it up for Wilson, he may have a better year than this year.

According to FOX Sports' Jay Glazer, ex-Cardinals coach Bruce Arians was "just messing with the world" when he said Alabama coach Nick Saban could be interested in the Giants' head-coaching job.

Per Glazer, he, Arians, and ex-Bears coach John Fox went out for drinks Tuesday night, and Arians said this "after a few vodkas." It totally sounds like something Arians would do and say. The Saban-to-Giants rumors were quickly shot down by the New York Post on Tuesday evening. The G-Men appear down to Eric Studesville, Matt Patricia, Josh McDaniels, Steve Wilks, Pat Shurmur, and Steve Spagnuolo. Word Wednesday was that Patricia is viewed as the favorite.
Jan 10 - 2:34 PM

Who does that?!?

giphy.gif

With Seattle firing all of their assistant coaches, they must have quality replacements already lined up.  Right?  Right?  Apparently losing Dan Quinn and Gus Bradley hurt more than they liked to acknowledge...

23 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

With Seattle firing all of their assistant coaches, they must have quality replacements already lined up.  Right?  Right?  Apparently losing Dan Quinn and Gus Bradley hurt more than they liked to acknowledge...

Miss the playoffs 1x and they fire all the assts thats harsh:o

3 hours ago, dashoe said:

Miss the playoffs 1x and they fire all the assts thats harsh:o

Why not. They have not been championship material for 2 years now. Time for a fresh approach. That's the last thing tried before the wrecking ball.

Patricia going to be the new DET HC, per Schefter.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22094437/new-england-patriots-dc-matt-patricia-expected-next-head-coach-detroit-lions

I would safely take the under on DET winning 10 games in 2018 (which is the only way Patricia is an improvement over Caldwell), and assume that when that happens Patricia won't be fired. 

40 minutes ago, devaster said:

"Rapoport's "reporting" is the biggest load of crap."

i don't know enough about him to say, but if "reporting" isn't an accurate depiction then what would be? Also, are you saying Mularkey hasn't been offered an extension?  

4 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

i don't know enough about him to say, but if "reporting" isn't an accurate depiction then what would be? Also, are you saying Mularkey hasn't been offered an extension?  

He was let go this morning.

4 minutes ago, devaster said:

"He was let go this morning."

But he was offered an extension, something that Mularkey didn't find satisfactory. He did assume that meant the coach would be staying, but that's hardly misinformation.

Edited by markrc99