NBC Sports Edge Forums

Coaching Carousel 2018 Edition

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The New York Daily News reports Bill Belichick could have interest in coaching the Giants.

This comes after reports of a growing rift between Belichick, owner Robert Kraft, and Tom Brady. Belichick spent the first six years of his career as the Giants' defensive coordinator. The Patriots have denied any fallout with Belichick, but there's rumblings he could force his way out of New England. It would ultimately be surprising if Belichick didn't return to the Patriots in 2018.
Related: Giants

Jan 5 - 8:09 PM

Bleacher Report:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2752669-bill-belichick-reportedly-has-interest-in-giants-hc-job-amid-patriots-unrest

Giants fans are like:

HTTP3N0cmVhbTEuZ2lmc291cC5jb20vdmlldzYvM

9 hours ago, thebrowns said:

I'd love to see him go to Dallas. (I'm definitely not a cowboys fan)

Jerry would never hire him - he is the biggest fraud when it comes to his fans giving nonsense about wanting to do anything to win...he squandered the Romo era with Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett.  

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Titans coach Mike Mularkey's "job is not safe," and the team is "preparing for a run" at Patriots OC Josh McDaniels.

The Titans barely squeaked into the playoffs, and the team took a step back in all facets from last year despite making the postseason for the first time since 2008. Mularkey and OC Terry Robiskie's dinosaur offense plays extremely slow and got by in 2016 by being the best red-zone team. They took a big step back in that area this year, and Marcus Mariota had one of his worst seasons yet. GM Jon Robinson worked in New England from 2002-2013 and knows McDaniels well.

Andy Reid needs to fire his DC. That unit has been a wishy-washy, bend but don't break, unit his entire stint in KC. A soft defense that is completely reliant on turnovers and sacks to put the opposing offense in bad situations. They really need to get a competent DC in there. Reid has had issues with his defenses since losing his DC in Philly to cancer (RIP Jim Johnson). His teams have never been as dominant without a competent DC.

10 hours ago, devaster said:

Andy Reid needs to fire his DC. That unit has been a wishy-washy, bend but don't break, unit his entire stint in KC. A soft defense that is completely reliant on turnovers and sacks to put the opposing offense in bad situations. They really need to get a competent DC in there. Reid has had issues with his defenses since losing his DC in Philly to cancer (RIP Jim Johnson). His teams have never been as dominant without a competent DC.

Reid needs to give his best player more than 5 carries after his team builds a 21-3 lead. That's not the defense's fault.

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Reid needs to give his best player more than 5 carries after his team builds a 21-3 lead. That's not the defense's fault.

Uhh... they didn't have enough plays in the 2nd half because they couldn't get the ball. Hunt had some carries in the 2nd half. They went 3-out a couple times. They didn't stop the Titans from completely owning the TOP the entire 2nd half. That is why they didn't give the ball to Hunt more. There weren't enough plays available to them.

That is entirely on the defense and not the offense.

1 hour ago, devaster said:

Uhh... they didn't have enough plays in the 2nd half because they couldn't get the ball. Hunt had some carries in the 2nd half. They went 3-out a couple times. They didn't stop the Titans from completely owning the TOP the entire 2nd half. That is why they didn't give the ball to Hunt more. There weren't enough plays available to them.

10 minute drive by the Titans to start the 3rd quarter. 

That was amazing.

4 hours ago, devaster said:

Hunt saw the ball once on the final drive. Not the defense's fault. 

5 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

KC OC Matt Nagy new Bears HC 

The Bears are expected to name Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy their new head coach, a league source said Monday.

General manager Ryan Pace interviewed Nagy, 39, on Sunday, a day after the Chiefs’ loss in the wildcard round against the Titans. He replaces John Fox, who was fired a week ago after a 14-34 record in three seasons.

Nagy’s entire NFL coaching career has been spent under Chiefs coach Andy Reid. A record-setting quarterback in college at Delaware, Nagy started as an intern in 2008 for Reid’s Eagles. He followed Reid to the Chiefs, starting off as their quarterbacks coach in 2013 before being promoted to offensive coordinator last season.

1 hour ago, Corleone said:

I like this for Tarik Cohen. 

And potentially Kevin White. If someone is going to play the Tyreek Hill role, he'd be the guy (he also has to stay healthy for more than 5 consecutive minutes). 

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

So he can be ignored in the 2nd half of games?

Andy Reid took over play calling in the second half of that game, so this isn't a fair criticism. 

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

So he can be ignored in the 2nd half of games?

Even if that was to be the case, better to be ignored in the 2nd half and get a good amount of 1st half work...than to be ignored the whole game. 

Panthers part ways with OC Mike Shula, QB coach Ken Dorsey

CHARLOTTE -- Panthers offensive coordinator Mike Shula and quarterbacks coach Ken Dorsey have been relieved of their duties.

Shula spent the past seven seasons with Carolina, working as quarterbacks coach for two seasons before becoming offensive coordinator in 2013.

In 2017, Carolina finished 19th in total offense (323.7), fourth in rushing offense (131.4), 28th in passing (192.3) and 12th in points (22.7).

A veteran of 30 years of coaching, including 26 as an NFL assistant and four as head coach at the University of Alabama from 2003-06, Shula joined the Panthers after four seasons as quarterbacks coach for Jacksonville from 2007-10. His previous stops as an NFL assistant include Tampa Bay (1988-90, 1996-99), Miami (1991-92, 2000-02) and Chicago (1993-95).

Dorsey served as quarterbacks coach for the past five seasons following two years as a pro scout for Carolina. A former record-setting quarterback at the University of Miami (Fla.), Dorsey played six seasons in the NFL from 2003-08 before finishing his playing career in the CFL in 2010.

10 hours ago, RustyMiller said:

Seems like the Giants job is attracting all sorts of names.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/09/report-nick-saban-not-interested-in-giants-job/

Nick Saban is not interested in the Giants’ head coaching job, Paul Schwartz of the New York Post reports.

Edited by Jon21
51 minutes ago, Jon21 said:

"I guess I have to say it," Saban said. "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

(I do agree I don't see him going to NFL.  He's too old and his record in the NFL wasn't great.  It's just interesting you have possibly the greatest nfl coach and greatest college coach both rumored around the Giants job.)

3 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

"I guess I have to say it," Saban said. "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

(I do agree I don't see him going to NFL.  He's too old and his record in the NFL wasn't great.  It's just interesting you have possibly the greatest nfl coach and greatest college coach both rumored around the Giants job.)

Historically speaking it's always been a very good place for a NFL coach to work with stable owners in a big mkt.

3 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

"The Seattle Seahawks have fired offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell after seven seasons, a source confirmed to ESPN."

Can't say I'm surprised.

Agreed.

His best play on his play sheet was the "Russell Wilson running for his life, buying an additional 10 seconds and enough time for DB's to fall asleep before Wilson heaves it downfield to the then uncovered receiver who otherwise couldn't get open them damn selves" play.