NBC Sports Edge Forums

Trey Burton 2018 Outlook

Bastardo!
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Chicago?  Rams?  Saints?      Needs a team that values the TE to really make a fantasy splash, and one that values him more than Cameron Brate.   I think he's in danger of being overdrafted.  I believe he's got all the talent, but he's not a sure success.   His new team's OC will be critical.    

3 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Chicago?  Rams?  Saints?      Needs a team that values the TE to really make a fantasy splash, and one that values him more than Cameron Brate.   I think he's in danger of being overdrafted.  I believe he's got all the talent, but he's not a sure success.   His new team's OC will be critical.    

i think the Bears like Shaheen a lot and i'd be surprised if the Rams dived in on Burton.  They have two young TE's they are grooming currently .

Saints make a lot of sense and i also think the Ravens, Bengals, and Texans makes sense. 

4 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Ravens seem like a good fit- Flacco loves the TE, and I think they need a guy like Burton more than anyone else does.   

i agree.  

Sounds like Houston has some big ????'s around Federowitz. An athletic TE in that offense with Watson would be nice.  For CINCY, i don't think they are sold on Kroft, and Eifert should be sent packing.  Could be a nice add for that offense

The Cincy thought makes sense in terms of need, but they rarely spend for outside FA's.   I assume Burton will be able to get someone to fork over a bit more than the Bengals would.  

Guys like Burton might be better off waiting a few days for Cousins to get settled.   As easily the premier FA, there will be several teams keeping their cap space open for him if they can make it work.   Once that dust settles, suddenly 4 or 5 teams that had left 20 mil plus open will be left without Cousins, and well, they're gonna want to buy something else.  Burton could reap some rewards from that.

PFF recently had Burton listed in association with the Seahawks, and there's an interesting stat about his 2017 production listed...

THREE ADDITIONS WE WANT TO SEE FOR FANTASY

Trey Burton, TE: Burton landing in Seattle could potentially lead to mid-TE1 fantasy numbers. Graham finished second on the team in targets in each of his three seasons with the team, so Burton would likely figure prominently into the offense. Among tight ends with at least 30 targets in 2017, Burton finished second only to Rob Gronkowski in PPR points per opportunity. It would be interesting to see what this highly efficient player could accomplish in an increased role. The only question is whether his contract demands will work with the team’s cap space limitations.

1 hour ago, Corleone said:

PFF recently had Burton listed in association with the Seahawks, and there's an interesting stat about his 2017 production listed...

THREE ADDITIONS WE WANT TO SEE FOR FANTASY

Trey Burton, TE: Burton landing in Seattle could potentially lead to mid-TE1 fantasy numbers. Graham finished second on the team in targets in each of his three seasons with the team, so Burton would likely figure prominently into the offense. Among tight ends with at least 30 targets in 2017, Burton finished second only to Rob Gronkowski in PPR points per opportunity. It would be interesting to see what this highly efficient player could accomplish in an increased role. The only question is whether his contract demands will work with the team’s cap space limitations.

Contract demands? 

Lol. This dude is gonna get paid peanuts. 

I'd be expecting 3 year / 20 M max. Probably right around $12 M guaranteed. Any team can fit that in their cap. 

12 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Contract demands? 

Lol. This dude is gonna get paid peanuts. 

Just curious as to what you base that comment on?

Spotrac.com has a projection for Burton to get a 3 year, $21 million deal: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/trey-burton-14668/market-value/

Rotoworld has Burton ranked as the #3 free agent TE (behind Jimmy Graham and ASJ). WalterFootball has him as the #1 TE. 

10 hours ago, BrianM said:

The Cincy thought makes sense in terms of need, but they rarely spend for outside FA's.   I assume Burton will be able to get someone to fork over a bit more than the Bengals would.  

Guys like Burton might be better off waiting a few days for Cousins to get settled.   As easily the premier FA, there will be several teams keeping their cap space open for him if they can make it work.   Once that dust settles, suddenly 4 or 5 teams that had left 20 mil plus open will be left without Cousins, and well, they're gonna want to buy something else.  Burton could reap some rewards from that.

During free agency, generally the big money gets spent in the first week. 

After that it seems like contracts generally get much smaller. I'd probably sign day 1 if I was him and looking to get paid. 

3 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Just curious as to what you base that comment on?

Spotrac.com has a projection for Burton to get a 3 year, $21 million deal: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/trey-burton-14668/market-value/

Rotoworld has Burton ranked as the #3 free agent TE (behind Jimmy Graham and ASJ). WalterFootball has him as the #1 TE. 

I edited my comment about 5-10 minutes before you posted this. 

It's funny cause what I guesstimated is what you say spotrac projects him for. 

That's peanuts to me with regards to making that number fit into a cap. 

7 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I edited my comment about 5-10 minutes before you posted this. 

It's funny cause what I guesstimated is what you say spotrac projects him for. 

That's peanuts to me with regards to making that number fit into a cap. 

Gotcha re: the edit. When I copied your comment to respond, the edit wasn't there yet. 

I'd be happy with $21 million (or $12 million guaranteed) :)

Burton has made about $4.2 million in his career so far, so $12 to $21 million may be more than peanuts to him too. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Trey Burton 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic

Archived