NBC Sports Edge Forums

Trey Burton 2018 Outlook

Bastardo!
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

6 minutes ago, Broncos132 said:

I see alot of experts having Burton as an easy start this week, almost must start. I'm having trouble buying in. Points wise, hes been decent the past 2 weeks, but his QB worries me. Anyone firing him up with confidence?

no qualms whatsoever.  

we ride wif Trey. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dropped him to pursue Jordan Reed...which made me worry as I heard more and more "experts" suggest he's a great start this week. At the end of the day I'm banking on Mitchell Trub sucks and can't be counted on. I guess we'll see.

1 minute ago, Litany said:

I dropped him to pursue Jordan Reed...which made me worry as I heard more and more "experts" suggest he's a great start this week. At the end of the day I'm banking on Mitchell Trub sucks and can't be counted on. I guess we'll see.

I have both oj howard and trey and chi defense, im at a loss on what to do. I dont trust Trey, if he cant do it now or rather if Trub cant do it now, it will never happen this year. 

7 minutes ago, Litany said:

You know Jordan Reed has a Bye this week right?  :) 

Reality is TE landscape is terrible after Gronk/Kelce/Ertz and even Gronk has had a bad week too.  People need to R E L A X .  Shouldn't feel bad on one side to drop Trey if someone is available in a juicy matchup but also not over react to a 1 week Will Disley reach.

2 hours ago, INFRARED 6 said:

Everyone is threatening to drop but who are you guys dropping him for? The TEs on the waiver wire are even more unreliable. It sucks to be stuck on this train but the remaining TE's are not even part of the game plan... 

i have Ebron and OJ Howard as well as Trey, and i wanna drop two of them and keep 1 lol...if Trey doesn't produce this week, that makes my decision easier.  Don't ask why i'm rostering 3 te's...i keep missing the good waiver wire pickups

19 minutes ago, nosh0t said:

You know Jordan Reed has a Bye this week right?  :) 

Reality is TE landscape is terrible after Gronk/Kelce/Ertz and even Gronk has had a bad week too.  People need to R E L A X .  Shouldn't feel bad on one side to drop Trey if someone is available in a juicy matchup but also not over react to a 1 week Will Disley reach.

Haha, yeah I did realize, that's probably why he was dropped, but I have Vance to use this week and figured I'm safe with one of those two. I was just sick of watching Trubisky play football so I gave up. Like i said could come back to bite me.

3 minutes ago, SuperMarksBros. said:

Small sample but Tampa is next to last vs tight ends.  I'll throw him out this week and if it doesn't happen, it's dropsville.  Life is too short to watch a terrible quarterback not distribute the ball.

Definitely not out of realm you can always pick up again after bye if you have remorse in week 5.

16 minutes ago, saucez said:

i dont understand everyone dropping this dude, who are you exactly picking up in replacement.  Trey Burton 50 to 60 yards and a chance of TD.  Thats normal for TE these days. 

I agree that is typical production, what it came down to for me his his QB. I'd much rather bank on Big Ben or Alex Smith generating a better statline for my TE. People want a better ceiling. I'd be shocked if Burton has more than 2 games of 100 yards receiving. THe Bears D is elite, they're all about clock management and the run game regardless of how productive their RB is per carry. 

I want a TE that is part of an offense with a more balanced attack. So yeah QB and overall upside is why I let go of him. 

1 hour ago, Litany said:

I agree that is typical production, what it came down to for me his his QB. I'd much rather bank on Big Ben or Alex Smith generating a better statline for my TE. People want a better ceiling. I'd be shocked if Burton has more than 2 games of 100 yards receiving. THe Bears D is elite, they're all about clock management and the run game regardless of how productive their RB is per carry. 

I want a TE that is part of an offense with a more balanced attack. So yeah QB and overall upside is why I let go of him. 

Jordan Reed is not available in competitive leagues and Vance is the very definition fools gold. For most Burton owners there are very few viable options on waivers that make dropping him a smart move. I honestly think a lot of this disappointment has to do with the preseason hype and how putrid the position has been this year. I guarantee if you had drafted Vance McDonald and were sitting there with him in hand and Burton on waivers you're scooping Burt up in a heartbeat and feeling great about it. 

This guy is a test in patience this year but I still think he's going to provide that return on investment for us. This is the week, no doubt. 

2 hours ago, saucez said:

i dont understand everyone dropping this dude, who are you exactly picking up in replacement.  Trey Burton 50 to 60 yards and a chance of TD.  Thats normal for TE these days. 

What it came down to for me was picking up O.J Howard. He has a QB throwing for over 400 yards a game. I like those odds better then being stuck with Mitch's average/below average play.

Kittle should still produce with Jimmy G out. 

You may find someone in your league dropping Kettle for this reason. I scooped him up because he was dropped. 

If I did not pick up Howard I would still have Burton on my team. But I also have ARob on my roster, and it's extremely hard to have to bears in my starting lineup each week, so for me it made more sense to go with Howard

3 hours ago, Broncos132 said:

I see alot of experts having Burton as an easy start this week, almost must start. I'm having trouble buying in. Points wise, hes been decent the past 2 weeks, but his QB worries me. Anyone firing him up with confidence?

It's impossible to be "confident" with Trubisky at QB.  Just got to hope he improves as the season continues, but this is the ultimate "get right" defense.

1 minute ago, mjb said:

It's impossible to be "confident" with Trubisky at QB.  Just got to hope he improves as the season continues, but this is the ultimate "get right" defense.

Are you saying starting Trey Burton is Trubisky Business?

3 hours ago, swetooth9 said:

i have Ebron and OJ Howard as well as Trey, and i wanna drop two of them and keep 1 lol...if Trey doesn't produce this week, that makes my decision easier.  Don't ask why i'm rostering 3 te's...i keep missing the good waiver wire pickups

Maybe you're missing the good waiver wire pickups because you're holding 3 TEs instead of stashing 2 possible breakouts? I would roll with OJ of those 3.

I dropped Trey this week - I've been a big believer and dove in early in the draft to make sure I got him. There's a possibility he finally has a good week this week, but I'm willing to take that risk with his Bye in week 5 - unless he absolutely blows up he'll be around before Week 6 I would bet. 

“The Bucs have been demolished by tight ends this year, allowing a league-high 25 receptions and 329 yards to them, though just one touchdown. Keep in mind that two of the tight ends who played them were Ben Watson and Vance McDonald. The other was Zach Ertz, who plays in the same system as Burton. Even with Nick Foles under center, he totaled 11 catches for 94 yards against them.”

This is all setting up too well.

I have this Naggy feeling that he doesn’t get the targets he should.

20 hours ago, saucez said:

I have Njoku and I’m rolling with him instead. Maybe Baker will bring him new life. One of the reason I’m doing it is bc I have Jordan Howard and starting 2 bears doesn’t seem right. 

Archived