NBC Sports Edge Forums

Trey Burton 2018 Outlook

Bastardo!
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

12 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

During free agency, generally the big money gets spent in the first week. 

After that it seems like contracts generally get much smaller. I'd probably sign day 1 if I was him and looking to get paid. 

True, it seems like short of a couple of guys, the only big money comes within the first weekend.   Then the average deal size falls off a cliff.   I would certainly expect to see that happen again in a couple of weeks.   I just wonder if the presence of Cousins could affect not just the QB market.   If you're, say, Minnesota, Denver or the Jets, why not call a few agents and say "hey, wait for us, if we dont get Cousins by Monday, we'll come back at you about X"   Maybe even bring that guy in for a visit to show you're serious.     It would absolutely take a leap of faith though for a guy to pass on a big deal in hopes that his market gets bigger later on, i get it.  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, GreatestShowonTurf said:

Potential fits could be:

-Miami

-Oakland

-Pittsburgh

-Baltimore

-Green Bay

Unlikelier fits include

-New Orleans

-Jacksonville

-Buffalo

Some long-shots:

-Seattle (if they trade Jimmy Graham)

-Atlanta (if they want an upgrade on Hooper)

Pitt no with McDonald and James.

Oakland probably not with Cook.

Miami and Jax both place a premium on blocking from their TE.

Seattle makes sense.  So does GB.

I think Hooper is underutilized.

4 minutes ago, devaster said:

I'd really hate to see him go to the Redskins as an Eagles fan. But as a dynasty owner of both Reed and Burton it could work out well for me.

Their prediction was when Cousins was still on the Skins...but with Alex Smith, that could still be interesting since Smith always liked throwing to Kelce at TE (and to V. Davis back in his SF days). 

5 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Their prediction was when Cousins was still on the Skins...but with Alex Smith, that could still be interesting since Smith always liked throwing to Kelce at TE (and to V. Davis back in his SF days). 

I think the Redskins are stuck with Reed the next year or two. Would they really go out and sign Burton to a similar type of deal?

Just now, devaster said:

I think the Redskins are stuck with Reed the next year or two. Would they really go out and sign Burton to a similar type of deal?

It's the Redskins, so logic and reason go out the window with their personnel moves. 

11 hours ago, GreatestShowonTurf said:

Potential fits could be:

-Miami

-Oakland

-Pittsburgh

-Baltimore

-Green Bay

Unlikelier fits include

-New Orleans

-Jacksonville

-Buffalo

Some long-shots:

-Seattle (if they trade Jimmy Graham)

-Atlanta (if they want an upgrade on Hooper)

I'd add Patriots in there, they seem willing to go after good free agent tight ends and there might be fire with all this Gronk retiring smoke.

1 minute ago, hoppychokes said:

I'd add Patriots in there, they seem willing to go after good free agent tight ends and there might be fire with all this Gronk retiring smoke.

Report earlier today is that Gronk is coming back. 

46 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

As a kittle owner, "noooooooooo"

oh my lol.  I have Kittle in a dynasty and traded for Burton as well.  Please don't let them end up on the same team :(

On 2/27/2018 at 3:57 PM, Corleone said:

PFF recently had Burton listed in association with the Seahawks, and there's an interesting stat about his 2017 production listed...

THREE ADDITIONS WE WANT TO SEE FOR FANTASY

Trey Burton, TE: Burton landing in Seattle could potentially lead to mid-TE1 fantasy numbers. Graham finished second on the team in targets in each of his three seasons with the team, so Burton would likely figure prominently into the offense. Among tight ends with at least 30 targets in 2017, Burton finished second only to Rob Gronkowski in PPR points per opportunity. It would be interesting to see what this highly efficient player could accomplish in an increased role. The only question is whether his contract demands will work with the team’s cap space limitations.

PFF is kind of overlooking Nick Vannett. The Seahawks really like Vannett and he has been comped to Ertz by more than one analyst. Burton would be a back up/sub-package guy at best buy I think he's being overhyped. 

1 hour ago, pikerbkb said:

PFF is kind of overlooking Nick Vannett. The Seahawks really like Vannett and he has been comped to Ertz by more than one analyst. Burton would be a back up/sub-package guy at best buy I think he's being overhyped. 

PFF is kind of overlooking that the Seahawks never used their TE outside of the RZ. It was nice when Graham scored, but he wasn't doing much else.

1 hour ago, pikerbkb said:

I'm a buckeye and love Vannett.  But he's a blocker more than a pass catcher. 

3 hours ago, 96mnc said:

I'm a buckeye and love Vannett.  But he's a blocker more than a pass catcher. 

He's actually a very good receiver and route runner. Just didn't have that role at OSU. And in an interview Meyer said Vannett was more of a move TE than the others he had on the roster. 

4 hours ago, devaster said:

PFF is kind of overlooking that the Seahawks never used their TE outside of the RZ. It was nice when Graham scored, but he wasn't doing much else.

The whole team is going to look different on both sides of the ball. Graham and Richardson, gone for sure. Baldwin's getting older. Defense just had some serious attrition take place. Seahawks are going to struggle defensively this season. Wilson is going to have to turn into a gunslinger just to keep them in games. New offensive coordinator as well. Anything can happen. 

8 hours ago, pikerbkb said:

He's actually a very good receiver and route runner. Just didn't have that role at OSU. And in an interview Meyer said Vannett was more of a move TE than the others he had on the roster. 

He is a good route runner and has good hands.  He's just not a supreme athlete.

If he's the lead TE though I'd be willing to roster him. 

13 hours ago, 96mnc said:

He is a good route runner and has good hands.  He's just not a supreme athlete.

If he's the lead TE though I'd be willing to roster him. 

I hear you. In the end I picked him up off waivers in a couple of dynasty leagues so he's an easy drop. He's not quite as athletic as Ertz, but close enough to where he could be effective if used in a similar role....but chances are Vannett will have production more similar to Celek than Ertz. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Trey Burton 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic

Archived