NBC Sports Edge Forums

Trey Burton 2018 Outlook

Bastardo!
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nagy obviously fed Kelce, so this could really be a good landing spot for him.    If you believe Trubisky is capable enough, you're sold on Burton, plain and simple.     For me, there's enough just from the Nagy thing to sell me as at worst, back end TE1 now.   Its just a matter of do I target him, or do I just draft a TE when I'm comfortable, and if he's there, so be it, if not, oh well, I take Rudolph/Doyle/whatever.   That'll be an in the moment decision for me, most likely.  

1 hour ago, BrianM said:

Nagy obviously fed Kelce, so this could really be a good landing spot for him.    If you believe Trubisky is capable enough, you're sold on Burton, plain and simple.     For me, there's enough just from the Nagy thing to sell me as at worst, back end TE1 now.   Its just a matter of do I target him, or do I just draft a TE when I'm comfortable, and if he's there, so be it, if not, oh well, I take Rudolph/Doyle/whatever.   That'll be an in the moment decision for me, most likely.  

This may be the first season in 3 that I pass on Kelce  and wait to take a TE. I like the potential of Burton catching everything underneath along with redzone work paired with Arob stretching the field and howard running the ball. 

2 minutes ago, dashoe said:

This may be the first season in 3 that I pass on Kelce  and wait to take a TE. I like the potential of Burton catching everything underneath along with redzone work paired with Arob stretching the field and howard running the ball. 

Nit afraid of shaheen splitting the catches?

3 minutes ago, the_dying_dream said:

I'm not. They don't go and sign a FA TE to 4 years and $32mil if they don't plan on using him extensively. Burton has been in the league longer and has more experience. Shaheen is a 2nd year TE that is still very raw. TE's tend to take 3-4 years to adjust to the NFL.

2 minutes ago, the_dying_dream said:

Not at all Burton isnt being paid to do alot of blocking, he is a pass catching mismatch weapon.

11 minutes ago, the_dying_dream said:

Nit's Brate and OJ Howard 1500 miles north, maybe slightly toned down. I disagree with dashoe and devaster in that I believe Shaheen will cut into Burton's receptions, but to what level? I'd suggest Burton is definitely the TE to own in Chicago, and we might see Shaheen cut into his targets in the same way Jonnu Smith cuts into DWalker's: just enough to be annoying, but not enough to scare me away from Burton: 20 receptions, 200 yards, 2 TDs for Shaheen in 2018, which is 20 receptions, 200 yards, and 2 TDs removed from Burton.

12 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Nit's Brate and OJ Howard 1500 miles north, maybe slightly toned down. I disagree with dashoe and devaster in that I believe Shaheen will cut into Burton's receptions, but to what level? I'd suggest Burton is definitely the TE to own in Chicago, and we might see Shaheen cut into his targets in the same way Jonnu Smith cuts into DWalker's: just enough to be annoying, but not enough to scare me away from Burton: 20 receptions, 200 yards, 2 TDs for Shaheen in 2018, which is 20 receptions, 200 yards, and 2 TDs removed from Burton.

Usually a TE isn't going to get 100% of the targets for their position on the team.

5 minutes ago, devaster said:

Usually a TE isn't going to get 100% of the targets for their position on the team.

Of course, which is why I suggest Shaheen will be a pain, will draw 200 yards and 2 TDs away from Burton, but will not disrupt Burton's success.

Basic rule of thumb for secondary TEs is 10-20 receptions per season / 100-200 yards per season / 1-2 TDs per season. Such is the case with the secondary TEs in New England, Philadelphia, Tennessee, Kansas City, and Seattle --- the teams with the primary TE monsters. Anything more than these numbers is a serious degradation to the success of your draft pick. My two cents.

(Disclaimer: can't include Reed and VDavis here because of Reed's health.)

16 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Of course, which is why I suggest Shaheen will be a pain, will draw 200 yards and 2 TDs away from Burton, but will not disrupt Burton's success.

Basic rule of thumb for secondary TEs is 10-20 receptions per season / 100-200 yards per season / 1-2 TDs per season. Such is the case with the secondary TEs in New England, Philadelphia, Tennessee, Kansas City, and Seattle --- the teams with the primary TE monsters. Anything more than these numbers is a serious degradation to the success of your draft pick. My two cents.

(Disclaimer: can't include Reed and VDavis here because of Reed's health.)

That doesn't mean he is a pain. If he was going to be deployed in the RZ as a TD vulture that is a pain. Just like how 2nd and 3rd string RB's that vulture TD's are a pain.

As a Burton owner I wouldn’t say this was ideal but certainly could have landed somewhere worse. The Nagy TE history is intriguing, although burton is nothing like Kelce. Size of the contract has to indicate to some degree their intent to make his a major part of their offense. Shaheen surely will steal some points here and there. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2018 at 5:16 AM, fakespike said:

As a Burton owner I wouldn’t say this was ideal but certainly could have landed somewhere worse. The Nagy TE history is intriguing, although burton is nothing like Kelce. Size of the contract has to indicate to some degree their intent to make his a major part of their offense. Shaheen surely will steal some points here and there. 

Although I lean more towards agreeing with you here, Nagy sees Burton as Kelce, at least in role, at least according to the latest: https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/plan-of-attack-a-look-at-bears-coach-matt-nagys-aggressive-offensive-approach/

True, he's a couple of inches shorter than Kelce, but 1) we can expect similar use to Kelce, assuming the article is on-the-mark, and 2) we can expect some muddling QB play to create some problems (and maybe, eventually, in the long run, some competent QB play to create some mismatches in using Burton).

Nagy also praises Shaheen here, and Gabriel, and Tarik Cohen---all of the X, Y, and Zebra letters---and has the positive off-season hopes we might expect from a team that could easily reach the playoffs, or just as easily not.

• 1 month later...

Is he the TE that will break out this year? He is getting paid a good amount of money, so looks like they envision him being the main guy at TE. Coach has even went as far to say that he is going to play the Kelce role and we know how good that role is. 

14 hours ago, jcedwards said:

Is he the TE that will break out this year? He is getting paid a good amount of money, so looks like they envision him being the main guy at TE. Coach has even went as far to say that he is going to play the Kelce role and we know how good that role is. 

He has all the tools to do it, just have to see how heavy the QB leans on him. I like that Chicago is in a division where they are going to have to put up points, and most likely playing from behind a lot, in order to win. That should be a positive for TB. I'd rather wait and take TB later than reaching for one of the top 3 TEs. 

2 minutes ago, Mr.STD said:

He has all the tools to do it, just have to see how heavy the QB leans on him. I like that Chicago is in a division where they are going to have to put up points, and most likely playing from behind a lot, in order to win. That should be a positive for TB. I'd rather wait and take TB later than reaching for one of the top 3 TEs. 

Chicago had a top 10 defense last year and should this year. Catch-up mode might not be the most standard. 

Shaheen and Burton play different positions. Shaheen will play more in-line. Burton will play more in the split and as a WR option. He won't have as many snaps maybe as some of your fantasy TEs, but he should get enough targets to make him a solid option to have a solid chance at a TE1. But Shaheen will also factor in. And I don't think it woudl be the most surprising thing to see Shaheen used far more than people expect. 

2 hours ago, taobball said:

Chicago had a top 10 defense last year and should this year. Catch-up mode might not be the most standard. 

Shaheen and Burton play different positions. Shaheen will play more in-line. Burton will play more in the split and as a WR option. He won't have as many snaps maybe as some of your fantasy TEs, but he should get enough targets to make him a solid option to have a solid chance at a TE1. But Shaheen will also factor in. And I don't think it woudl be the most surprising thing to see Shaheen used far more than people expect. 

Chicago has a top ten D, but their division has some fantastic teams and all of them have very good to generational QBs. 6 games of that is going to produce a lot of catch up. Just my opinion, but I think Mitch will be tossing that rock a good amount when he is against the Lions/Packers/Vikings.

3 hours ago, Mr.STD said:

I'm a big Trey Burton mark. I had the luxury of watching him in Philly. Even though he was a backup TE you could see the talent. He runs great routes, catches everything, is great in the locker room and a true playmaker. I think the Bears got themselves a real steal.

• 1 month later...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beargoggleson.com/2018/06/15/trey-burton-lead-chicago-bears-receiving/amp/

After watching a week of OTA practices, Brad Biggs of the Chicago-Tribune is reallyhigh on Burton and sees him as a candidate to lead the team in receiving. When asked who he thought would lead the team in receiving he mentioned Allen Robinson, but also stated that Burton will be in the mix.

Also in the mix to lead the team will probably be tight end Trey Burton. As far as tops in touchdown catches, I’d probably go with Robinson or Burton.

On 5/22/2018 at 9:54 PM, jcedwards said:

I'm a huge Burton fan and watched every snap of his NFL career. There's no doubt he can be a franchise TE. He's a fast, excellent route runner with great hands. His limitations are in his blocking abilities. But if he and Trubisky can develop a chemistry then Bear fans are going to be very very happy. If Trubisky can get him the ball expect immediate returns from Burton.

On 3/13/2018 at 1:32 PM, dashoe said:

and let's not forget that Cohen kid loosening up the coverage as well ... could be plenty of room for Burton to operate.

he's my guy this year, and his adp is perfect for how i am envisioning my drafts.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Trey Burton 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic

Archived