NBC Sports Edge Forums

Trey Burton 2018 Outlook

Bastardo!
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

16 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

Right, but Engram needed 115 targets to reach those numbers, and was the de facto #1 receiver on the Giants once all of their WRs went down with injury. I might need to lower my projection for Burton now that you point that out...

flipside of that is the fact that the Jints offense was as putrid as could be last season, due to those extenuating injury circumstances, yes, but the o-line was hot frickin' garbage, they had zero running game, etc

this year's Bears offense, though vastly unproven, is light years ahead of that swamp arse Jints offense of 2017 - ergo, more opportunities for Burton, as drives are kept alive/extended, more trips to the red zone ... more good stuff - yes.  

will he see EE 2017 level targets?  no.  lotta moving parts up in Nagy's new digs ... but this Burton chap will eat like no one's biz ... he's on that precipice of TE dominance, and i'm buying. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

flipside of that is the fact that the Jints offense was as putrid as could be last season, due to those extenuating injury circumstances, yes, but the o-line was hot frickin' garbage, they had zero running game, etc

this year's Bears offense, though vastly unproven, is light years ahead of that swamp arse Jints offense of 2017 - ergo, more opportunities for Burton, as drives are kept alive/extended, more trips to the red zone ... more good stuff - yes.  

will he see EE 2017 level targets?  no.  lotta moving parts up in Nagy's new digs ... but this Burton chap will eat like no one's biz ... he's on that precipice of TE dominance, and i'm buying. 

Yeah the situations are not directly comparable, nor are the players. I just think the Engram's season totals show how hard it can be for any tight end to put up a Kelce/Gronk type season. A lot of the top 10, every-week starters at TE end up with numbers that look pretty pedestrian, even if they are "must-start" guys who are seeing tons of targets and are capable of having huge weeks. 

I like Burton as a player and I like the potential of the Bears offense. I might even end up with Burton on a team or two if his ADP/auction price stays reasonable. But I think Shaheen is a good player too and will be involved, along with the myriad passing game options noted earlier. The "Kelce role" talk seems like hyperbole to me, once you actually compare Burton to Kelce physically and factor in their roles/target share in their respective offenses. 

Let me put it this way...I'm worried Burton's price tag doesn't leave a ton of room for profit right now. 

Anyone worried that Shaheen will eat into whatever snaps Burton would need to live up to this years' hype? On one hand there's the fantasy hype-train for Burton, on the other, there's praise out of camp for Shaheen, who was a 2nd round draft pick last year.  The buzz on Burton is he can't block and will also play out of the slot, but how much, no one knows.  But from the little research I did, Shaheen is a pretty good receiving TE as well and is also fast for the position.  It's anyone's guess how this will pan out.  I suppose I need to see how the Bear's offense plays out because the above just doesn't add up.  

19 minutes ago, mikeflavaz said:

Anyone worried that Shaheen will eat into whatever snaps Burton would need to live up to this years' hype? On one hand there's the fantasy hype-train for Burton, on the other, there's praise out of camp for Shaheen, who was a 2nd round draft pick last year.  The buzz on Burton is he can't block and will also play out of the slot, but how much, no one knows.  But from the little research I did, Shaheen is a pretty good receiving TE as well and is also fast for the position.  It's anyone's guess how this will pan out.  I suppose I need to see how the Bear's offense plays out because the above just doesn't add up.  

This question has been asked so many times already in this thread. The answer is no.

4 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

Im a fan of burton this year, but I feel like he's the new cool TE thats sure to get drafted before he should.

meh ... for those of us waiting on TE he makes perfect sense.  right now i am prepared to procure TB's services at what will eventually flesh out to be a massive bargain ... i may need to reach, but said reach will be judicious vis a vis my roster config leading up to.

the savvy magick foosballer will be snaggin' this kid toot sweet, still with a reasonable enough adp - sure, he's buoyed by glowing camp tidbits, and the cat's hot to pounce are hep to the prowess that was under wraps while toiling behind Ertz - but others will shy away because, well, BEARS ... and perhaps that Shaheen shim.  coolio. moar for us troofers.

this whole sitch is awfully reminiscent of the guy i think TB nudges out the top 5 - Delanie Walker.   spent a couple/few seasons caddying for VD, but we all knew that the talent to ascend was abundant, and that once he shook free from San Fran he was gonna chuck some beastly performances up in his own personal starting gig.  

and here we are with Trey.   let's do this.

11 hours ago, devaster said:
11 hours ago, mikeflavaz said:

Anyone worried that Shaheen will eat into whatever snaps Burton would need to live up to this years' hype?

This question has been asked so many times already in this thread. The answer is no.

maybe.gif

12 hours ago, mikeflavaz said:

the 2018 Chicago Bears are not exactly the '76 Stillers or the '84 'Niners, amirite?  ... plenty of holes up on that squad to be patched via FA dabbling, yet they chose to toss 4/32mil coin at TB why? 'cause last year's second rd. pick was the answer? 

Image result for hmmmm gif

Nagy is from the Fat Andy tree .. this kid is the Kelce/Ertz prototype for that scheme.

27 minutes ago, bgar15 said:

For those drafting Burton, are you also taking a backup?

Have only taken Burton in Best Ball so far, and his price tag has been too high in redraft leagues for me. I love the talent, but I'm hesitant to take him as my sole TE. I'd suggest pairing him with another cheap TE until we see some production (e.g Reed, who's cheap but oft-injured).

1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i would never roster two TEs, but for those who choose to, this is a pretty good call. 

Last year I had 3 TEs rostered in a 12 man league and was pissed to learn that was the max(was trying to pick up RSJ off waivers). Had Charles Clay ASJ and jimmy graham and all were playing pretty well. Ended up trading ASJ for a defense with a great playoff schedule and picking up RSJ I think. The way my team was structured/ hit by injuries i just felt like TEs were better flex plays then the other guys I had available. 

2 hours ago, lolcopter said:

I’ve been taking Gronk and then Burton AS my backup/flex, and I hate rostering two TEs

With gronk already kinda surprised you reached on burton did he fall very far? 

Just now, hard1 said:

With gronk already kinda surprised you reached on burton did he fall very far? 

I wouldn’t consider it a reach, more like a premium insurance policy. Typically don’t target him until the double digit rounds, maaybe the 9th. 10 team standard fwiw.

5 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

Have only taken Burton in Best Ball so far, and his price tag has been too high in redraft leagues for me. I love the talent, but I'm hesitant to take him as my sole TE. I'd suggest pairing him with another cheap TE until we see some production (e.g Reed, who's cheap but oft-injured).

I have seen Burton earliest go in the eighth, mostly the ninth. Is that too early? I don't think that's unreasonable. In my best ball draft right now, round seven, Burton is sitting there still behind Rudolph, Graham, Reed, and Delanie. 

3 minutes ago, Brettg57 said:

I have seen Burton earliest go in the eighth, mostly the ninth. Is that too early? I don't think that's unreasonable. In my best ball draft right now, round seven, Burton is sitting there still behind Rudolph, Graham, Reed, and Delanie. 

I'm higher on Graham than most, and although I love DWalker (in PPR), he's recently injured so the jury is still out there. Burton in the 9th is in accordance with his ADP, for whatever that's worth, but 1) Shaheen is something, at least an annoyance, at least a TD mosquito, and 2) we have yet to see the "new" Bears offense; 3) we've really yet to see Burton unleashed. A lot of unknowns there.

I'll full-steam-ahead on Burton in Best Ball, but right around this ADP you have Cobb, Woods, Kupp, Blount, all great Best Ball picks. If you've yet to choose a Best Ball TE, click on Burton.

In redraft, I don't think I'd go Burton in single digits with several double-digit TEs available, and I'd sooner go Woods there and then choose ASJ or Hayden Hurst three-to-four rounds later, or Kittle in 10 if healthy. But this is all personal preference, and I'm open to being swayed in one direction or the other. Preseason will tell much about Trubisky, and hopefully Burton.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Trey Burton 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic

Archived