NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Trey Burton 2018 Outlook

Bastardo!
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

I'm higher on Graham than most, and although I love DWalker (in PPR), he's recently injured so the jury is still out there. Burton in the 9th is in accordance with his ADP, for whatever that's worth, but 1) Shaheen is something, at least an annoyance, at least a TD mosquito, and 2) we have yet to see the "new" Bears offense; 3) we've really yet to see Burton unleashed. A lot of unknowns there.

I'll full-steam-ahead on Burton in Best Ball, but right around this ADP you have Cobb, Woods, Kupp, Blount, all great Best Ball picks. If you've yet to choose a Best Ball TE, click on Burton.

In redraft, I don't think I'd go Burton in single digits with several double-digit TEs available, and I'd sooner go Woods there and then choose ASJ or Hayden Hurst three-to-four rounds later, or Kittle in 10 if healthy. But this is all personal preference, and I'm open to being swayed in one direction or the other. Preseason will tell much about Trubisky, and hopefully Burton.

19 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Odds are he is going to light the Broncos up on Saturday so expect that ADP to keep climbing 

Agreed. I'd rather take Woods in the eighth or ninth would be a steal, I was just curious on your thoughts. Shaheen is a real thing that I've stated in this thread, and Burton truthers come out. I do feel, based on his camp/joint practice usage, Burton will more then return profit. 

Burton will absolutely light up Broncos, that's always been their weakness vs TE.. But now we will wish we could have gotten him in the tenth after this game. 3/36/1 line I predict in his first preseason game. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Trey Burton 2018 Outlook

just glimpsed the experts/staff 12 team ppr draft from the cats at FFToday - one of the best free resource sites out there.  Mike & co. do a great job.

Burton went exactly mid 7th rd. - now, as others in here have opined, his price may be getting too rich, however, this draft was carried out by guys who have their collective ear to the ground much more than your average magick foosballer ... can interpret this two ways: 1) dude reached too far up, or 2) this kid Burton is a very prized commodity by those who do this ish religiously.

certainly one doesn't need to be on staff at a site to glean info these days ... hell, so many tidbits are disseminated freely that one can actually track their man crushes farts at any given practice session.  the true "sleeper" is a thing of the past, our world has shrunk a great deal in that respect. 

all that being said, i still think he will be had in most drafts in the 8th/9th rd vicinity.   enough caveats to shoo the more conservative folk will most likely keep TB in a much more conducive ADP slot when it's all said and done.

linky, fwiw:  http://fftoday.com/mock/18_staff_ppr_analysis.html  (note that the chap who snagged Burton had a very unconventional approach for the most part - he needed RB help, but opted TE in the 7th).

36 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

just glimpsed the experts/staff 12 team ppr draft from the cats at FFToday - one of the best free resource sites out there.  Mike & co. do a great job.

Burton went exactly mid 7th rd. - now, as others in here have opined, his price may be getting too rich, however, this draft was carried out by guys who have their collective ear to the ground much more than your average magick foosballer ... can interpret this two ways: 1) dude reached too far up, or 2) this kid Burton is a very prized commodity by those who do this ish religiously.

certainly one doesn't need to be on staff at a site to glean info these days ... hell, so many tidbits are disseminated freely that one can actually track their man crushes farts at any given practice session.  the true "sleeper" is a thing of the past, our world has shrunk a great deal in that respect. 

all that being said, i still think he will be had in most drafts in the 8th/9th rd vicinity.   enough caveats to shoo the more conservative folk will most likely keep TB in a much more conducive ADP slot when it's all said and done.

linky, fwiw:  http://fftoday.com/mock/18_staff_ppr_analysis.html  (note that the chap who snagged Burton had a very unconventional approach for the most part - he needed RB help, but opted TE in the 7th).

good stuff and good source pastor

Could be a league winner. Word out of camp from all the beat writers has been that Trubisky loves throwing to the tight ends (Burton specifically). Nagy is basically going to use him as a slot WR and w/ Arob and Gabriel taking a lot of attention he should eat. 

On 8/16/2018 at 1:23 PM, Brettg57 said:

Agreed. I'd rather take Woods in the eighth or ninth would be a steal, I was just curious on your thoughts. Shaheen is a real thing that I've stated in this thread, and Burton truthers come out. I do feel, based on his camp/joint practice usage, Burton will more then return profit. 

Burton will absolutely light up Broncos, that's always been their weakness vs TE.. But now we will wish we could have gotten him in the tenth after this game. 3/36/1 line I predict in his first preseason game. 

Ahem.. :ph34r: except he went 4/45/1

On 8/17/2018 at 7:34 AM, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Burton has been one of the hot names since he signed with Chicago. Don't think there's anyway you can count on getting him later than the 6th or 7th.  After Ertz, Gronk, Kelce, and mayyyybe Graham it's a toss up between Burton, Olsen, Engram, and Walker for who goes next.

Burton was consistently going behind the Reed/Walker tier but I don't see that lasting, Will likely move up to Olsen and Engram territory

I was at the game tonight and he looked great. They are very creative with his usage, coming out of the backfield, in motion, spread out wide. They are going to manufacture plays for him, there is no doubt about it

7 hours ago, Ericc5 said:

Could be a league winner. Word out of camp from all the beat writers has been that Trubisky loves throwing to the tight ends (Burton specifically). Nagy is basically going to use him as a slot WR and w/ Arob and Gabriel taking a lot of attention he should eat. 

6 hours ago, lolcopter said:

The offense is gonna run through this guy, ADP will be going way up

5 hours ago, vipulr said:

Oh boy the Shaheen injury is huge for Burton owners.

I can see him finishing behind Gronk, Kelce, Ertz

4 hours ago, lolcopter said:

Burton was consistently going behind the Reed/Walker tier but I don't see that lasting, Will likely move up to Olsen and Engram territory

I was at the game tonight and he looked great. They are very creative with his usage, coming out of the backfield, in motion, spread out wide. They are going to manufacture plays for him, there is no doubt about it

Image result for eating popcorn gif meme

Yeah Shaheen figured to play a decent role in this offense, especially in the redzone.

Burton is going to be on the field for every down and be heavily leaned on now. His value shoots up.

That being said, the Broncos are total a** at covering TEs and Allen Robinson only played 1 series and Taylor Gabriel didn't play, so it makes sense. Burton still looked extremely good so people should definitely get excited about him.

re: Shaheen injury ... i've opined in this thread a few times already that i didn't feel he was gonna be such a detriment to TB's output as much as most here did ... again, if Shaheen were the answer then the Bears wouldn't have sprung for big coin on Burton.  in the Nagy scheme Trey was gonna eat, of that i was (am) certain.

but, consider ... our boy Burton is a weak blocker - this offense needs all of it's moving parts to be operating at peak efficiency ... Shaheen may have been called on to do more "dirty work", those intangibles that help sustain drives vis a vis the run game, helping out on pass pro, loosening coverage in two TE passing sets, etc.   his loss impacts the offense as a whole, and that is not a good thing for a young team that has yet to really kick the tires on Nagy's newfangled nuances.

so, yeah, it's not simply a case of "MOAR FOR BURTON!!!111!!1",  it's a blow to the cohesion of this offense.

8 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

There goes his ADP...

Everyone is looking for the next Engram now.  Let Burton go at this point.  Potentially not worth the reach.  Just like I sniffed out Engram, I am working the scent of a few TEs this year.  I think there is some fantasy TE silver (or gold) in the form of a last round pick.

1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

re: Shaheen injury ... i've opined in this thread a few times already that i didn't feel he was gonna be such a detriment to TB's output as much as most here did ... again, if Shaheen were the answer then the Bears wouldn't have sprung for big coin on Burton.  in the Nagy scheme Trey was gonna eat, of that i was (am) certain.

but, consider ... our boy Burton is a weak blocker - this offense needs all of it's moving parts to be operating at peak efficiency ... Shaheen may have been called on to do more "dirty work", those intangibles that help sustain drives vis a vis the run game, helping out on pass pro, loosening coverage in two TE passing sets, etc.   his loss impacts the offense as a whole, and that is not a good thing for a young team that has yet to really kick the tires on Nagy's newfangled nuances.

so, yeah, it's not simply a case of "MOAR FOR BURTON!!!111!!1",  it's a blow to the cohesion of this offense.

I like Burton and think he will do well but the next kelce he is not. Kelce can actually BLOCK and is integral to the offense because he can basically do it all.  Best case is Nagy just says screw it and runs him out there like a wr the way the giants did to Engram last year, with no pretense about blocking.

Archived