NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Trey Burton 2018 Outlook

Bastardo!
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

4 hours ago, Jason497 said:

That being said, the Broncos are total a** at covering TEs and Allen Robinson only played 1 series and Taylor Gabriel didn't play, so it makes sense. Burton still looked extremely good so people should definitely get excited about him.

1) two average WRs at best. WR talent wasn't a problem for them last night, Miller and whoever that long haired guy who always gets hurt both played fine

2) Trubisky hasn't shown he's capable of actively involving WRs anyway

8 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I like Burton and think he will do well but the next kelce he is not. Kelce can actually BLOCK and is integral to the offense because he can basically do it all.  Best case is Nagy just says screw it and runs him out there like a wr the way the giants did to Engram last year, with no pretense about blocking.

They literally already do that, but he's much more flexible if only by nature of being able to line up in more positions (inline, backfield)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night kind of validates why he is a trendy breakout pick. He certainly wasn’t a sleeper unless you live under a rock, but I’m disappointed that his ADP is going to sky rocket especially considering my drafts are of course this week.

25 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

They literally already do that, but he's much more flexible if only by nature of being able to line up in more positions (inline, backfield)

That's one of the keys to the Kelce role. If Burton can develop even into an average or slightly subpar blocker, he can be out there every down. That means hes not tipping their hand via personnel, so he gets matched up on an LB rather than a safety or nickel corner, and there's your mismatch.

45 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

That's one of the keys to the Kelce role. If Burton can develop even into an average or slightly subpar blocker, he can be out there every down. That means hes not tipping their hand via personnel, so he gets matched up on an LB rather than a safety or nickel corner, and there's your mismatch.

Thats the problem he had in Philly. They couldn't trust him to block anyone. But at the same time Ertz can't block a lick either. If used how Philly uses Ertz he will be a top 5 TE guaranteed. He's the real deal.

13 hours ago, lolcopter said:

The offense is gonna run through this guy, ADP will be going way up

Not sure about that but the whole Bears org has me re-evaluating my ffb perception of the Bears.  I'm buying Trubisky, Howard, Cohen, Burton, Robinson, and perhaps someone else.

Feel like the Bears are going to be an under the radar team, like the Chargers.

Here’s my 2 c’s in Burton. 

If Shaheen misses significant time I like him a lot more. I think Shaheen is a very legit TD threat, and probably a better blocker for goal line situations. And as much as the “Reid Family” TE has been consistently strong with Ertz and Kelce, they’ve also historically not been great at TDs for the position.

Ertz and Kelce each had a career high 8 TDs last season, so perhaps it’s a bad year to bring it up, but between 2014-2016 when both were active TE1s on their own teams, between them theyve averaged 862 Yards per season, which is great for a TE especially over 6 combined seasons. But they only averaged 3.8 TDs per year over that period. The highest TD season for either in that 6 season sample is 5 TDs. 

I think Burton could be in store for something similar. I’m not willing to give him Ertz or Kelce’s Rec/Yards numbers yer, but I do think he could realistically be the second passing option on the Offense behind AR. Maybe more 2014 Ertz than 2015/2016. 

Lowering their Rec/Yards, I’d put Burton at 65/750 and if Shaheen plays 16 games, 3.5 TDs.

That’s solid. TE8. To me it’s not enough better then other TE sleepers to justify what I think the price will climb to. If I can get him as around the 8th TE and fill up most my roster, I’d love to get Burton. 

39 minutes ago, taobball said:

Here’s my 2 c’s in Burton. 

If Shaheen misses significant time I like him a lot more. I think Shaheen is a very legit TD threat, and probably a better blocker for goal line situations. And as much as the “Reid Family” TE has been consistently strong with Ertz and Kelce, they’ve also historically not been great at TDs for the position.

Ertz and Kelce each had a career high 8 TDs last season, so perhaps it’s a bad year to bring it up, but between 2014-2016 when both were active TE1s on their own teams, between them theyve averaged 862 Yards per season, which is great for a TE especially over 6 combined seasons. But they only averaged 3.8 TDs per year over that period. The highest TD season for either in that 6 season sample is 5 TDs. 

I think Burton could be in store for something similar. I’m not willing to give him Ertz or Kelce’s Rec/Yards numbers yer, but I do think he could realistically be the second passing option on the Offense behind AR. Maybe more 2014 Ertz than 2015/2016. 

Lowering their Rec/Yards, I’d put Burton at 65/750 and if Shaheen plays 16 games, 3.5 TDs.

That’s solid. TE8. To me it’s not enough better then other TE sleepers to justify what I think the price will climb to. If I can get him as around the 8th TE and fill up most my roster, I’d love to get Burton. 

Well said. The Bears do have a lot of strong red zone options (ARob, Shaheen, running with Howard inside the 5) so TDs are a legitimate concern, especially if you believe they're still going to be a low scoring offense. However, it is worth noting that in the 2 games Ertz didn't play last year (incredibly small I know) Burton scored 3 TDs. So maybe he's just got a nose for the end zone. 

I have yet to see enough out of Trubisky to lead me to believe he can support viable WR options in fantasy, however his rapport with Burton is already apparent. Burton and Howard will be the pieces to own in the offense, the rest will be borderline unstartable imo

Do you guys actually watch the games?

You will notice that Trey Burton is a part of the game plan.

He is either the 1st or 2nd read on all the plays when he was in the game.

They literally had 4 plays that are designed for Trey Burton.

Even with Shaheen in, there are plays designed around Burton. (I think Trey had two receptions before Shaheen got knocked out.)

I think the worry is that Shaheen will have more plays in the redzone, which could take away partially from Burton's value.  At this point that's just speculation, but even if Burton is heavily involved between the 20's and has plays designed for him, his fantasy value would be capped if he doesn't score many TD's.  

The fact that Shaheen is a big body that thrives in the redzone, and the organization spent a 2nd round pick on, gives me a slight bit of concern.  I still think Burton is great value if he stays at or near his current ADP.

6 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I think the worry is that Shaheen will have more plays in the redzone, which could take away partially from Burton's value.  At this point that's just speculation, but even if Burton is heavily involved between the 20's and has plays designed for him, his fantasy value would be capped if he doesn't score many TD's.  

The fact that Shaheen is a big body that thrives in the redzone, and the organization spent a 2nd round pick on, gives me a slight bit of concern.  I still think Burton is great value if he stays at or near his current ADP.

did Shaheen just sprout that big body last week?  see, the Bears knew/know all of that Shaheen jazz, yet still chucked coin at TB ... again, this team had plenty of holes to fill with their FA budget - if they were so set at TE why in the name of Sam effin' Hill did they splurge for Burton?  

Just now, pastorofmuppets2 said:

did Shaheen just sprout that big body last week?  see, the Bears knew/know all of that Shaheen jazz, yet still chucked coin at TB ... again, this team had plenty of holes to fill with their FA budget - if they were so set at TE why in the name of Sam effin' Hill did they splurge for Burton?  

I'm not arguing that I think (or the Bears think) that Shaheen is superior to Burton, but you can bet Shaheen will be out there in the RZ this year (3 of 12 receptions last year were for TD's).  If he catches another 3 TD's, or 5 TD's, or whatever, that is directly taking away TD's from Burton.  A lot like some RB's have TD vultures on their team, I think Shaheen might be a bit of a TD vulture for Burton.  

I don't think it's reason enough to not draft Burton, but the difference between Shaheen catching 3-4 TD's versus those going to Burton could be the difference between Burton finishing as a top-10 TE and a top-5 TE.

11 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I'm not arguing that I think (or the Bears think) that Shaheen is superior to Burton, but you can bet Shaheen will be out there in the RZ this year (3 of 12 receptions last year were for TD's).  If he catches another 3 TD's, or 5 TD's, or whatever, that is directly taking away TD's from Burton.  A lot like some RB's have TD vultures on their team, I think Shaheen might be a bit of a TD vulture for Burton.  

I don't think it's reason enough to not draft Burton, but the difference between Shaheen catching 3-4 TD's versus those going to Burton could be the difference between Burton finishing as a top-10 TE and a top-5 TE.

fair enough ... let's see how this shakes out.  

10 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Regardless of Shaheen, I’d still put Burton O/U on TDs right around 7.5

(I fully recognize how high that projection is)

solid, i lean over (i'm expecting eight B))

btw, latest mocks i've run have him consistently going in 7th rd, a few shot up to 6th (all 12 team ppr)    

3 hours ago, Nguvocity said:

Do you guys actually watch the games?

You will notice that Trey Burton is a part of the game plan.

He is either the 1st or 2nd read on all the plays when he was in the game.

They literally had 4 plays that are designed for Trey Burton.

Even with Shaheen in, there are plays designed around Burton. (I think Trey had two receptions before Shaheen got knocked out.)

This∆   

Burton will be targeted. Alot. Put on your seatbelts fellows.... 

17 minutes ago, TommyKramer said:

I'm going on record as saying Burton will lead the Bears in receptions, receiving yards, and receiving TD's

I wan’t to buy in but out of ARob, Burton, Miller, Cohen, etc... somebody is going to disappoint. Trubisky should be a QB1 the way these Bears receivers are getting hyped.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-mailbag-leonard-floyd-kevin-white-biggs-20180821-story.html

Trey Burton. 600 yards. You taking the over or under?

I’d go over. If Burton remains healthy, he’s a lock to put up more yards than that. He certainly could challenge Martellus Bennett’s franchise record for receiving yards in a season by a tight end at 916 (2014).

18 hours ago, TommyKramer said:

I'm going on record as saying Burton will lead the Bears in receptions, receiving yards, and receiving TD's

Believe the hype.  TE-friendly offense, young QB needs a reliable safety net. 70-800-8 isn't a stretch given what I've seen this offseason

If one rosters Jordan Howard, is it too risky to also roster Burton? I understand the offense should be much, much better but they could also still be bad if Mitch doesn't take a step forward.  Not sure I want to own multiple shares of Bears' players...

I have no clue what to make of this guy. I typically like to wait on TE unless there’s some excellent value that pops up in earlier rounds. I’ve had some chances to grab him in the 8th round, which appears to be fairly good value. I just have concerns with the QB. Also, he hasn’t proved all that much himself, either. Taking someone like Walker or Olsen in the 6th, 7th feels like much less of a risk. 

4 minutes ago, ralphg13 said:

I have no clue what to make of this guy. I typically like to wait on TE unless there’s some excellent value that pops up in earlier rounds. I’ve had some chances to grab him in the 8th round, which appears to be fairly good value. I just have concerns with the QB. Also, he hasn’t proved all that much himself, either. Taking someone like Walker or Olsen in the 6th, 7th feels like much less of a risk. 

Two old guys with injury history vs a potential stud in the making? Burton is quite literally playing the Kelce 2.0 role

I’m high on this guy like I was with Engram last season. The red carpet is rolled out, all he has to do is show up and produce. All signs are pointing to him being a huge part of this offense.

Archived