Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Trey Burton 2018 Outlook


Bastardo!
Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, ralphg13 said:

I have no clue what to make of this guy. I typically like to wait on TE unless there’s some excellent value that pops up in earlier rounds. I’ve had some chances to grab him in the 8th round, which appears to be fairly good value. I just have concerns with the QB. Also, he hasn’t proved all that much himself, either. Taking someone like Walker or Olsen in the 6th, 7th feels like much less of a risk. 

 

Cant play fantasy scared, burton is gonna be just as good as those guys and you can get him after filling all your rb/wr spots. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

 

Two old guys with injury history vs a potential stud in the making? Burton is quite literally playing the Kelce 2.0 role

 

I’m high on this guy like I was with Engram last season. The red carpet is rolled out, all he has to do is show up and produce. All signs are pointing to him being a huge part of this offense.

 

This guy definitely has a 2017 Engram feel to him in that you look at everything we know--Burton was recruited as a FA by this regime, scheme fits, and talent is there--and the writing seems to be on the wall that he has a good of a chance as anyone to end up as a top-5 TE by the end of the year. I actually feel more confident about Burton's chances than I did Engram and I rostered Engram all year...the issue with him was the rookie TE wall but otherwise everything just seemed to make sense and it was really only a matter of a time until the rest of the fantasy community caught up. I think there will be a lot of owners wondering why they didn't take the plunge on Burton after picking guys like Walker, Rudolph, or even Engram himself (I have Burton higher this year). We see this story every single year where on the top 10 fringe or outside of it ends up at the top of the pack. This year that guy is Burton (just like it was Engram last year, Rudolph in '16, Eifert in '14).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

Cant play fantasy scared, burton is gonna be just as good as those guys and you can get him after filling all your rb/wr spots. 

Exactly. Rarely will you win a championship by playing conservative and not taking any risks. The benefits outweigh the risks with Burton.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Nguvocity said:

You can’t draft Burton without a backup plan. 

 

Thats it, just make sure you grab Jared

Cook or Charles Clay

 

If I am drafting a "backup plan" it will be Njoku who could be a beast. Guys like Clay/Cook/Seals-Jones will be on the waiver wire. There are a ton of talented TEs in the NFL these days and unless most of your leagues drafts 2 TEs, you don't really need to draft an insurance policy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AnchorDown said:

I think there will be a lot of owners wondering why they didn't take the plunge on Burton after picking guys like Walker, Rudolph, or even Engram himself (I have Burton higher this year).

 

Same. That group, and Engram especially, is my trigger point to when I have to move on Burton and not try to get cute and wait. Rudolph I have ranked much lower despite his ideal situation, but once the Olsens and Engrams start getting picked I am wasting no time to grab Burton.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

 

If I am drafting a "backup plan" it will be Njoku who could be a beast. Guys like Clay/Cook/Seals-Jones will be on the waiver wire. There are a ton of talented TEs in the NFL these days and unless most of your leagues drafts 2 TEs, you don't really need to draft an insurance policy. 

 

Nijoku got picked up before Burton in my league.

 

i think him and Burton are both risky picks though 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Nguvocity said:

 

Nijoku got picked up before Burton in my league.

 

i think him and Burton are both risky picks though 

 

That's the type of combo though that I'd feel comfortable leaving drafts with, though, because there's a good chance at least one of those two guys will return top-10 value. I also like pairing Burton with a guy like Walker or Rudolph who are already falling anyways and give you a higher floor option in case Burton busts (which I'm still having a hard time imagining barring injury, but still). I'm pretty risk adverse and like your strategy of pairing Burton with a "backup", and with the way TE's are being drafted this year, if you can avoid falling prey to tier of Ertz, Olsen, Engram (who I think are very overvalued right now) it's really not that hard or expensive to pair Burton with a solid option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Nguvocity said:

 

Nijoku got picked up before Burton in my league.

 

i think him and Burton are both risky picks though 

What is so risky about burton? Draft capital....nope. Scoring chops? Nope...showed he can find the endzone quite well in games without ertz. Usage? Nope...went 4 for 45 in essentially a quarter the other night and is clearly a part of their game plan. Oh and he got PAID, 18 mil guaranteed. They have big plans, so should we. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

Cant play fantasy scared, burton is gonna be just as good as those guys and you can get him after filling all your rb/wr spots. 

Why are we so confident Burton will be just as good? He is fairly unproven, on a new team, and has a 2nd year QB who hasn’t exactly shown he’s a competent player. 

 

I can see myself taking him in round 8 As my TE in a lot of instances. I’m just not that confident about it. I am, however, fairly confident Delanie Walker has a decent chance to get 10-12 PPR points a game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nguvocity said:

You can’t draft Burton without a backup plan. 

 

Thats it, just make sure you grab Jared

Cook or Charles Clay

 

If you're drafting a backup plan at the TE position in a league with 1 starting TE slot per team then you're drafting wrong. 

 

Why people are still wondering if Burton is a viable starting TE option in their fantasy leagues is beyond my understanding. Trubisky has barely played this year. The starting Bears WRs have barely played this year. Shaheen now has a bad wheel. This offense is running through Howard, Cohen, and Burton.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nguvocity said:

You can’t draft Burton without a backup plan. 

 

Thats it, just make sure you grab Jared

Cook or Charles Clay

 

Sure you can.

 

So far, the first team offense has been deep incomplete pass to White, Burton for a first down, try White again, then pass to Burton.  The dude got 50 yards in one quarter their last game.  White got a pass interference call.  White's getting a LOT of targets!!  Nagy wants White to be Tyreek Hill.  Burton is DEFINATELY Kelce!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, disasterisk said:

 

If you're drafting a backup plan at the TE position in a league with 1 starting TE slot per team then you're drafting wrong. 

 

Why people are still wondering if Burton is a viable starting TE option in their fantasy leagues is beyond my understanding. Trubisky has barely played this year. The starting Bears WRs have barely played this year. Shaheen now has a bad wheel. This offense is running through Howard, Cohen, and Burton.  

 

What is wrong with having a backup TE? Could serve as an emergency flex or injury replacement. It’s such a fickle position by year it’s not so stupid to try to have two viable options while others are scrambling to figure out the best WW guy that week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

 

What is wrong with having a backup TE? Could serve as an emergency flex or injury replacement. It’s such a fickle position by year it’s not so stupid to try to have two viable options while others are scrambling to figure out the best WW guy that week. 

 

A backup TE takes a roster spot away from a skilled position  player. Never ever draft 2 tight ends. You can pick one up at your TE's bye week as a 1 week fill in. And why would you flex a TE when you can flex a RB or WR?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

 

A backup TE takes a roster spot away from a skilled position  player. Never ever draft 2 tight ends. You can pick one up at your TE's bye week as a 1 week fill in. And why would you flex a TE when you can flex a RB or WR?

 

Some people play with deep benches. Not everyone plays with your league configuration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Different rules for every league. My league is a keeper league. So if Burton gets taken in a late round, then you have a starting TE at a decent price every year.

 

TE this year seems very iffy. Even the locks like Olsen and Gronkowski aren't promising as they used to be. I'd be willing to gamble on a someone like Burton, Engram, or Njoku being decent pickups this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

 

A backup TE takes a roster spot away from a skilled position  player. Never ever draft 2 tight ends. You can pick one up at your TE's bye week as a 1 week fill in. And why would you flex a TE when you can flex a RB or WR?

 

TE is a skill position. Every year there are usually a few guys who succeed their value and surprise and finish within the top 10. There are those that bust as well. It’s a guessing game just like any position, and unless you have one of the big three you are essentially throwing a dart and there’s no reason not to treat it as any other spot.

 

Do you knock folks who took a late flier on engram last year? Doyle? Guys like that were far from sure things so I imagine most paired them with another TE and played it out to see who was the better player 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

 

TE is a skill position. Every year there are usually a few guys who succeed their value and surprise and finish within the top 10. There are those that bust as well. It’s a guessing game just like any position, and unless you have one of the big three you are essentially throwing a dart and there’s no reason not to treat it as any other spot.

 

Do you knock folks who took a late flier on engram last year? Doyle? Guys like that were far from sure things so I imagine most paired them with another TE and played it out to see who was the better player 

 

You draft 2 TE's? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

 

You draft 2 TE's? 

I have and I will again if the situation calls for it.  I'm always a draft the best player regardless of position kind of guy.  Often that leaves me going into the final rounds of a draft with no TE's on my roster yet, because the top TE's always get taken slightly earlier than I feel they should go and somewhere in the middle rounds you see a run on mediocre TE's while there are still good players left at the RB and WR positions.  That leaves me picking a couple sleeper TE's at the end of a draft.  I hang onto them for a few weeks, hope one of them works out and drop the other guy for probably somebody better than I would have taken in the 14th or 15th round anyways. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, South Carolina said:

 

A backup TE takes a roster spot away from a skilled position  player. Never ever draft 2 tight ends. You can pick one up at your TE's bye week as a 1 week fill in. And why would you flex a TE when you can flex a RB or WR?

 

I had Gronk and Ertz last year and started both, won that league. Point is never say never.

 

P.S. TE can be considered a skill position too.

 

P.P.S. draft best player available...would you rather have a top TE or a mediocre WR? Who's going to get the most points? Go with that guy. If you don't have room trade one. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

 

I had Gronk and Ertz last year and started both, won that league. Point is never say never.

 

P.S. TE can be considered a skill position too.

 

P.P.S. draft best player available...would you rather have a top TE or a mediocre WR? Who's going to get the most points? Go with that guy. If you don't have room trade one. 

 

 

What league are you in that Ertz & Gronk were both available? I'm in a super competitive 12 team (non-keeper) league. 2 good TE's are nearly impossible to get. That wouldn't happen in my league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, South Carolina said:

 

What league are you in that Ertz & Gronk were both available? I'm in a super competitive 12 team (non-keeper) league. 2 good TE's are nearly impossible to get. That wouldn't happen in my league.

 

some folks would rather have a decent WR than a great TE. ;)

 

even in competitive leagues there are great opportunities, just have to be ready to pounce.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Members_Only_76 said:

 

some folks would rather have a decent WR than a great TE. ;)

 

even in competitive leagues there are great opportunities, just have to be ready to pounce.

 

I have no problem with you having Ertz and Gronk, none at all. I'd do that in a second. My question is how did you land both? That's dam near impossible to pull off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...