NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Hader 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

What is Milwaukee's plan for Hader in 2018 ? He was very effective out of the bullpen last year. Does he stay there or does he move into the rotation ? There's a lot of K potential there if he moves into the rotation.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was a weak starter in AAA last year. He walks a ton of guys, even during last season when he produced pretty good numbers. Just seems like a guy who's better off staying in the bullpen. If he's starting, I wouldn't consider him more than just a streamer if I needed K's.

I don't put too much stock in his PCL stats.  I still believe there's TORP potential there but there will always be hiccups here and there given how erratic he can be with his control at times.  I don't see any downside in taking a flyer on him.  It's not like he'd be an early or even mid round risk.  If he doesn't cut it as a starter, he becomes a Andrew Miller, Chad Green, Chris Devenski, etc. type dominant setup man for your team... which can be just as valuable(if not more) than a back end starter on your team.

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

As the primary set-up man for Knebel? Or is that still Barnes?

I'm guessing matchups would dictate but I would lean towards Barnes as the primary 8th inning guy.

Edited by fletch44
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hader is absolutely awesome, but I don't see him being tied to the closer role. He'll prob get a few saves via mixing and matching, but the Brewers would lose their version of Andrew Miller + their best lefty. Doubt they do that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Made the Mets look like little leaguers tonight. They had no shot. His stuff is lights out (not breaking any ground here)... really makes you wonder when (if) they'll transition him back to starting. He has ace potential and as valuable as these fireman types are out of the pen nowadays I still think when you have a potential ace you need to let him start and see him fail at starting for an extended period of time before relegating him to the pen. 

Slider usage has jumped from 11% to 30%. Looks like the new pitch mix while using the FB less is allowing it to play up. While the slider is maintaining the awesome sauce even with increased use. He's also completely gutted the change up 7% to 1%.

How many k's is this guy gonna end up with if he ends the season with 90 IP? seems like he is gonna surpass what betances did a few years ago when he pitched 90 IP and got 135 k