NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Hader 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

I predict Hader will continue to get save opportunities on a somewhat regular basis. If the meat of an opponent's order comes up in the 8th and Hader blows them away, he'll come out for the 9th more often than not. Counsell's bullpen management so far strongly suggests that they're not going to disrupt their extremely successful current use of the best reliever in baseball just to accommodate a traditional closer role. My expectation is Knebel will get a slim majority of Brewers save chances, but Hader will usually stay in the game to close it out if he comes on in the 8th.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to open this whole debate again, but you can't keep a job you never had. Hader will pitch against the opposing team's best hitters late in close games, during whatever inning they come to the plate. More often than not but not always, he'll go more than one inning. Sometimes this will result in his getting saves - either multi inning saves or more traditional saves like last night where the opponent's best hitters happened to be due up to start the ninth. I don't think having Knebel back will change his usage at all. Hader's outings will not be tied to save opportunities specifically but will include some of them. Knebel's outings will probably include most or all of the save opportunities that arise when Hader's not a factor due to being unavailable or having pitched earlier in the game.

Edited by dele
  • Like 1

I know it's been said before but holy **** is this guy impressive. He completely DOMINATED both his innings today in every facet. 6 of the 7 batters he faced struck out swinging. In those 2.1 innings, he had 15 swinging strikes. That's just completely and utterly stupid. 

Watching him preserve a 1 run lead in the ninth with Buxton on first was, again, just ridiculously impressive. He must have thrown 6 or 7 times over to first to keep Buxton, who is possibly the fastest man in the league tied down to 1st base without one single attempt to steal second. And he did all of this throwing 99% fastballs. Just unreal. 

He's now the 17th overall ranked player in my league and I am DYING to see what he could do as a starter. 

Edited by DannyMcPot
  • Like 2

He has been a savior for my team.

Would love to know why exactly his fastball is so tough to hit.

Rotworld blurb.  Comedy.

Hader came on with the game tied in the seventh inning and just kept getting outs, issuing just one walk without allowing a hit and striking out six. People call them video-game numbers, but most people aren't even good enough at video games to put up the kind of stats Hader is putting up at the back of the Brewers' pen this year. Through Saturday, the southpaw has a 1.32 ERA, 0.51 WHIP and 56/7 K/BB ratio in 27 1/3 innings of work.)

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, B&F said:

He has been a savior for my team.

Would love to know why exactly his fastball is so tough to hit.

This is going to come off as dumb and perhaps overly simplistic, but here it goes anyway. 

My thought it that is just has to do with his delivery somehow. When I watch other pitchers throw 94, 95, it seems like a (and I hate to use this word) "typical" 94/95MPH pitch. But with Hader, it's almost as if the ball warps to the hitter at lightspeed. 

On 5/12/2018 at 3:16 AM, NapPYdugout said:

What's the chances he just keeps the job? Be a shame to remove him from the closer duties with that live arm.

Hader is elite- no doubt about it. Let's not forget that Knebel was the #3 closer in all of baseball last year though. Both are studs.

• Thanks 1

Josh Hader is video game level good. If he had a third pitch to fall back on the Brewers would have their version of Chris Sale. This guy is electric. 

I'd like to mention another kid the Brewers have. Taylor Williams. Not near at the level of Hader, and his control is an issue, but his arm is also electric. Keep your eyes on him down the line as he matures in the Brewers pen. Their pen has the potential to be seriously ugly for other teams. 

I think they’re almost obligated to try. Who the hell knows though with bullpen usage now and the limitations on starters outside of the really good ones. Hader might be the first of a new trend. I wouldn’t argue too much if the Brewers wanted to leave something going so well alone, but the parallels to Sale are almost too perfect. 

6 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

Does he get a chance to be a starter next year? Ever? 

He came up as a starter. It really depends on his change-up at this point.  I don't know if he's working on it or not. I've watched quite a few innings of his this year and he has not thrown it one time that I can recall, it's all #1 and slidey. Right now he's so incredible in the pen the Brewers don't want to rock that boat, but I think he could potentially be the ace of their staff. 

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

He's rated number 11 in my league right now... overall... I'm wondering what type of year is he going to need to have to finish number 1.

he will need a lot of Wins and Saves to finish 1. K/ERA/WHIP are absolutely going to be there. I doubt he can finish #1 in QS leagues. 

On 5/25/2018 at 11:34 PM, phisouza33 said:

Does he get a chance to be a starter next year? Ever? 

As a prospective Hader owner, I don't know if I would want it. He has a dominant fastball which he throws practically all of the time which really works in relief. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thrown 6 innings combined since May 22. Shows the drawbacks of sticking an elite arm in the fireman's role as it can slow down development and isn't nearly as valuable as an elite SP over the course of a season. 

He's thrown 35.2 IP so far this season. If he were a starter he'd be up around the 90 IP mark right now. And he'd be facing hitters third time through an order, working more on his third pitch, testing his stamina, etc

I understand why the Brewers are using him this way, I'm just not sure it's the best way to develop him considering his immense talent and SP1 potential.

Edited by absknicks