NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Hader 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

I am sure management doesn't want to burn him out.  I don't blame them. 

The postseason is when he REALLY will be valuable.  See Miller two seasons ago. 

Doesn't help fantasy owners tho.  

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, absknicks said:

I understand why the Brewers are using him this way, I'm just not sure it's the best way to develop him considering his immense talent and SP1 potential.

Are you sure they even intend to try develop him as a starter again? He had 2 cracks at AAA and had terrible results both times. He throws his fastball over 75% of the time which is an absurdly high number and would never work as a starter. He only throws 2 pitches. 

He's already proven to be an elite level, multi inning reliever, which has tremendous value in it's own right.

I'm just not sure tue Brewers even consider him to be a future starter. It's possible that ship has sailed.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, cs3 said:

Are you sure they even intend to try develop him as a starter again? He had 2 cracks at AAA and had terrible results both times. He throws his fastball over 75% of the time which is an absurdly high number and would never work as a starter. He only throws 2 pitches. 

He's already proven to be an elite level, multi inning reliever, which has tremendous value in it's own right.

I'm just not sure tue Brewers even consider him to be a future starter. It's possible that ship has sailed.

Honestly, I don't know. You could be right. But he also only sorted out his control issues in June of last season. He hasn't been given a shot to start since then.

Now would the improved control hold up as a starter? Possibly not. But I'd at least like to see him get another shot with his newfound control before they resign him to the bullpen forever. 

I'm not saying the two are the same (or even all that similar) but I remember the Yankees had to make a similar choice with Luis Severino a couple years back. He had proven capable of being an elite late-inning reliever but they gave him another shot at starting and now he's one of the 5-6 best starters in all of baseball. I think Hader has that type of upside, which is why I think they need to at least give him another look as a starter.

Edited by absknicks
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, cs3 said:

Yeah, I think the ship is steaming along just fine with Andrew Miller type of numbers at such a young age. Hader has already proven to have the versatility to be a game changer at the reliever level and if the Brewers can make it to the playoffs then they will find this to be even more valuable.  I think Hader can affect more playoff games by staying in his current reliever role in any best of 7 playoff series. I see no good reason to change him to a starter when the evidence has already shown otherwise. I have him on my fantasy baseball team and I'm fine as is.

This is like being great friends with a really really hot girl and knowing there's a real possibility of being more than friends.

Yea, you shouldn't mess with a good thing, but the upside is just too good to not even give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Not disputing his talent but in terms of usage he has had little value since Knebel came back from injury.   It might be worthwhile to consider benching him if a good starter streaming option is available.

Not a ton of save opps, but I agree..they have babied him lately. Wonder if there was some injury risk with the heavy early season usage? Or maybe they are saving him for the stretch run to put on Miller-type innings?

2 minutes ago, cad300 said:

Not a ton of save opps, but I agree..they have babied him lately. Wonder if there was some injury risk with the heavy early season usage? Or maybe they are saving him for the stretch run to put on Miller-type innings?

I think honestly thay he needed a bit of a rest. He has not been quite as effective lately (although still awesome don't get me wrong). I found myself wondering as I have been watching him if he became a little fatigued from his heavy usage early in the season when knebel was out. Just seems that he isn't missing quite so many bats as he was before and has been missing his locations by a larger margin. Could be good to let him coast and regain some energy for the stretch. If the Brewers can afford to, they will need to deploy him as a weapon come playoff time and it will be critically important that he is healthy and ready to go. I would love to see him eat up hitters in the playoffs it's just fun to watch him annhialate the world's best professional hitters like they are little leaguers. You seem him pitch against some of these guys and they are straight up ANGRY after their at bats and it's just amazing to think that a guy could make some of these guys who have spent their whole LIVES training to hit a baseball THAT frustrated. It's fun. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, inrihab said:

https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/1015746284030963713

Seems obvious given his recent usage, but he wont be Betances from years back

EDIT: and I cant figure out how to embed tweets

Every tweet (at least when using the Twitter app) has a little drop arrow in the top right corner. Click that and select "Copy link to Tweet"... After that, all you have to do is paste the link. Super easy.

Edit: Should look like this before you hit submit ↓

Edited by Pitches Love Velocity
Just now, terminator10 said:

I mean coming into today 1.74ERA/0.97WHIP with 14Ks in 10ip last month....maybe not great for his standards but...

Your right. Thought it was a lot worse. He’s been real good just not Hader good. 

I havent followed his usage cuz i am just a jealous non owner bit it seems to me when i have seen his name in the box score, it feels like hes going multi innings. Easy to blow out the arm that way.

1 hour ago, k.k. said:

Rare ugly outing for Hader tonight. Back to back homers given up.

Tough considering his infrequent usage for the last month or so. They're really wasting his talent right now. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, absknicks said:

Tough considering his infrequent usage for the last month or so. They're really wasting his talent right now. 

I really don't understand it.  Why are they barely using him right now?