NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Hader 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

He's been mediocre for over a month now. He gets in maybe 2 games a week. Like a lot of posters on here, I find it baffling that they play him so little. I'm weighing dropping him because he barely pitches. He went from being a super reliever to pedestrian. I wasted a waiver claim on this guy 3 weeks ago, and he's given my team next to nothing in terms of tangible value. So frustrating. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, inmybag said:

He's been mediocre for over a month now. He gets in maybe 2 games a week. Like a lot of posters on here, I find it baffling that they play him so little. I'm weighing dropping him because he barely pitches. He went from being a super reliever to pedestrian. I wasted a waiver claim on this guy 3 weeks ago, and he's given my team next to nothing in terms of tangible value. So frustrating. 

He was overused before. Now they're trying to reel it back in so they're overcompensating his rest to even out his overuse earlier. He had a little rough patch, now he's back to being really good when he pitches, it's just that they're resting him more, prolly anticipating a playoff run.

Update:

"There was just a velocity dip a little bit, and we just wanted to check and make sure he was all right," Counsell said. "He said he was fine, no issues, so no worries."

Said Hader: "I had no idea what it was for. I thought it was for somebody else. All is well over here."

• Like 1

I think the lack of usage is over blown here. Brewers just haven't had the leads at the right times for Hader to be used. His usage is actually  very similar to it was earlier this season. It's just like when a closer doesn't get a save for a while, do you all complain "why isn't he getting saves" when there haven't been many save opportunities? Come on guys.

Hader's usage is clear. When the Brewers are in a tie game or have a 1-3 run lead, Hader will enter the game anywhere from the 6th to 8th inning. That is typical firearm or leverage RP usage. When he does pitch, he will be given the chance to go 2 innings (assuming the game stays close). And after he does pitch 2 innings, depending on pitch count, he will be given 1-3 days of rest.

This usage has been consistent. The Brewers just haven't been in good positions to use Hader. See my closer analogy. But nothing really has changed from the beginning of the season and his usage then. I'm holding and treating as a Top 3 RP (Saves + Hold league) and a Top 20 RP (Save league). The talent is just too much.

Edited by terminator10

I am not sure the sporadic usage isn't hurting him.   He seems to go 4 days sometimes without pitching.

2 minutes ago, B&F said:

I am not sure the sporadic usage isn't hurting him.   He seems to go 4 days sometimes without pitching.

Yeah just like a closer can go 2 weeks without a save opportunity. It happens. He pitches everytime he's available and there is a 0-3 run lead. Simple as that. Sometimes those 2 conditions will happen 3 times a week. Sometimes just once a week. Can't control it.

Edited by terminator10
20 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Yeah just like a closer can go 2 weeks without a save opportunity. It happens. He pitches everytime he's available and there is a 0-3 run lead. Simple as that. Sometimes those 2 conditions will happen 3 times a week. Sometimes just once a week. Can't control it.

Except we don't own him for saves, we own him for elite ratios and k's. In the last month he's pitched 11 innings with 15 k's with a 3.27 ERA and 1.36 WHIP. 

Me personally, I'm holding until the ASB to see how trades shake out. If another reliever gets a closer spot, Hader is going to the wire. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

Except we don't own him for saves, we own him for elite ratios and k's. In the last month he's pitched 11 innings with 15 k's with a 3.27 ERA and 1.36 WHIP. 

Me personally, I'm holding until the ASB to see how trades shake out. If another reliever gets a closer spot, Hader is going to the wire. 

Ok he is still having a Top 50 overall season in save leagues (per yahoo rankings). Do you look to cut every Top 50 player who just had a mediocre month? He still ranks amongst the Top 10 RPs this season

He will be better than he was last month no doubt

Edited by terminator10
On 7/11/2018 at 5:53 AM, terminator10 said:

Ok he is still having a Top 50 overall season in save leagues (per yahoo rankings). Do you look to cut every Top 50 player who just had a mediocre month? He still ranks amongst the Top 10 RPs this season

He will be better than he was last month no doubt

First of all Yahoo rankings are not even that reliable.

And depending on your league setting it's not surprising to see him on the cut list.

My league only has a few RP slots and no P slots and doesn't count Holds. So if you wanna compete in SV, it's best to maximize the number of closers in the RP slots. 

Plus he's not even pitching multiple innings per outing anymore. Honestly, it really depends on the replacement guy.

1 hour ago, fingy said:

First of all Yahoo rankings are not even that reliable.

And depending on your league setting it's not surprising to see him on the cut list.

My league only has a few RP slots and no P slots and doesn't count Holds. So if you wanna compete in SV, it's best to maximize the number of closers in the RP slots. 

Plus he's not even pitching multiple innings per outing anymore. Honestly, it really depends on the replacement guy.

In my saves (no holds) league I have Diaz Chapman Hader Norris Will Smith Cody Allen and Osuna. Hader is my 3rd most valuable RP IMO

Edited by terminator10
1 hour ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Appearances by month:

April - 9 (15 IP)

May - 8 (15 IP)

June - 9 (8.2 IP)

July - 2 (4.2 IP)

Such a waste. They have nothing to lose by trying him out as a starter.. even if he fails you've already seen he can be an elite reliever come playoffs time or down the stretch in a close race. 

18 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Such a waste. They have nothing to lose by trying him out as a starter.. even if he fails you've already seen he can be an elite reliever come playoffs time or down the stretch in a close race. 

So why is Hader barley pitching? I still don’t get it here.  He pitched multiple inning appearances the first two months and was fine. Now he pitches once snd than is off a week plus. 

26 minutes ago, chud12 said:

So why is Hader barley pitching? I still don’t get it here.  He pitched multiple inning appearances the first two months and was fine. Now he pitches once snd than is off a week plus. 

Counsell said he will only pitch in games where the score is tied or where Brewers are up a few runs..he'll pitch in special situations when they are down a few runs, though.  Doesn't help that the Brewers have a ton of nice arms in their bullpen as well.

1 minute ago, benturn22 said:

Counsell said he will only pitch in games where the score is tied or where Brewers are up a few runs..he'll pitch in special situations when they are down a few runs, though.  Doesn't help that the Brewers have a ton of nice arms in their bullpen as well.

I mean i can’t cut him but why would this recent usage change?? This sucks. 

35 minutes ago, chud12 said:

I mean i can’t cut him but why would this recent usage change?? This sucks. 

He’s basically been used this way all year. The Brewers were winning before, now they’re not. Also, Knebel being back is another high-leverage reliever which limits Hader’s innings per outing somewhat.

Also another thing I like how Brewers are conducting themselves like they're the Dodgers last year or the 3 AL super teams right now.m, just DL or rest and hang back. Brewers are no lock to get in right now and could have used him when it was 1-0 in that DH yesterday.

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX
12 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

Soo uhhh... Think this guy's life is about to change.

Old tweets have been dug up. Don't think I can post them here. 

Yeah, if you want to see some of the absolutely insane things Hader Tweeted, check out this person's account.  He's in big trouble (at least in the public eye). https://twitter.com/kjen1327

Edited by JDL88