NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Terrance Ferguson 2017-2018 Outlook

typical 3 and D wing, waaaay better fit in starting lineup than roberson

and ferguson did fantastic in australia or wherever he played, i looked into him for my dynasty rookie draft over the summer and recall reading a lot of good reviews about his skill set

deep dynasty solid stash, season leagues prob irrelevant unless they ditch roberson like they should

*Personal Sidenote*- I used to be pretty involved with the AAU summer circuit and Ferguson, along with Jayson Tatum, was always my favorite of what was/is a very good class of 2016.   Just loved his game as a 14, 15, 16 year old.  Smooth and explosive.

Will be interesting to see how he develops given that he decided to play professionally in Australia rather than go to college for one year.

I will be keeping an eye on him to see if he gets consistent minutes.  From the little I've seen of OKC it seems they could really use a scorer with their 2nd unit.  Ferguson will be inconsistent but could be a decent source of points, 3s, and steals if the minutes are there.

I knew this thread was going to pop up after last night (haha). As someone who went to see the game last night, two things stood out, he got good range (typical 3 & D) player, he reminds me more of a Thabo. He didn’t really do too much with the ball (IE not many ball handling skills) but he is pretty much spot on as a catch and shoot guy. His defense is decent, I wouldn’t say he was better than Roberson. One is was the Lakers, and second, he did decent against Kuzma, but Kuzma still got the best of him a couple times now when he switched on Ingram, Ingram was crap though, I will admit that.

1 hour ago, greatestmetfan said:

Looked great last night but it was the Lakers and in the game there were possessions where the weren't trying or running back on defense

He's on the radar but be weary of this game it wasn't really competitive.

This, it was a garbage-time special against a Lakers team that looks like it has already packed it in with months to go.  

Edited by El_Chingon

2 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

and ferguson did fantastic in australia or wherever he played, i looked into him for my dynasty rookie draft over the summer and recall reading a lot of good reviews about his skill set

deep dynasty solid stash, season leagues prob irrelevant unless they ditch roberson like they should

Roberson is an elite wing defender in real life basketball.  Not a huge Roberson fan, but pump the breaks about replacing him with Ferguson who had one good game against an awful LAL defense.

OKC won by around 30Pts,

I don’t think that OKC need a scorer, Robertson will give more Defense against their best scorer opponent each night..

It’s hard to see an other player behind the Westbrook, Georges and Carmelo to be revelant..

he will probably nice game but much more inconsistent..

Edited by 23_gaby_23

1 hour ago, 23_gaby_23 said:

OKC won by around 30Pts,

I don’t think that OKC need a scorer, Robertson will give more Defense against their best scorer opponent each night..

It’s hard to see an other player behind the Westbrook, Georges and Carmelo to be revelant..

he will probably nice game but much more inconsistent..

steven adams is pretty relevant, but I see what you mean. nonetheless: Kiwi Power Steve deserves respect

Yeah Adams is also there. 

I haven't seen enough of Ferguson to say one way or another, but here's the thing: if his value is in low usage defensive stats, you shouldn't get very excited for 24 points (especially in garbage time, especially on 9/12 shooting).  With that in mind, if he didn't score 24 last night, would you be excited about him?  No?  Then don't be excited for him, period.

There's a lot of room for prime Thabos on real NBA teams and there's even room for those guys on fantasy teams.  But those people excite you and produce even on night where they score like 8 points.

3 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Roberson is an elite wing defender in real life basketball.  Not a huge Roberson fan, but pump the breaks about replacing him with Ferguson who had one good game against an awful LAL defense.

Yeah, absolutely ridiculous post. Ferguson doesn't do anything well at this juncture, gets no usage, and gets no minutes. Garbage time special in a 37-point win. Not even on the radar in 14-teamers.

7 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

and ferguson did fantastic in australia or wherever he played, 

Lol no he didn't.  He played for my local team and barely saw the court 

I streamed him today and pretty happy with him receiving that many shots in an offense that includes 3 usage monsters..

My take is that if Roberson comes back and Ferguson keeps his starting role I think everyone should pay attention to him as a 3 + D guy at the end of the bench.. a higher upside Terrence Ross if you will (funny enough that was one of his comparisons coming over).

One of OKC's glaring issues when team's focus in on their stars is Roberson's inability to hit open shots. Teams basically sag off him completely and trap and double every other scorer on the team, and if he's struggling then their entire offense is out of sorts. This could be a blessing in disguise for both OKC's winning potential moving forward and fantasy owners.

Definitely someone to keep an eye on once Roberson returns and see how his role shakes out, I'm going to keep him for Sunday's matchup and see how he fares (Roberson should be back for that one).

7 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

I streamed him today and pretty happy with him receiving that many shots in an offense that includes 3 usage monsters..

My take is that if Roberson comes back and Ferguson keeps his starting role I think everyone should pay attention to him as a 3 + D guy at the end of the bench.. a higher upside Terrence Ross if you will (funny enough that was one of his comparisons coming over).

One of OKC's glaring issues when team's focus in on their stars is Roberson's inability to hit open shots. Teams basically sag off him completely and trap and double every other scorer on the team, and if he's struggling then their entire offense is out of sorts. This could be a blessing in disguise for both OKC's winning potential moving forward and fantasy owners.

Definitely someone to keep an eye on once Roberson returns and see how his role shakes out, I'm going to keep him for Sunday's matchup and see how he fares (Roberson should be back for that one).

Exactly - we’ll need to see how he holds up once Roberson comes back though I think he’ll be out on Sunday too. He’ll be on my watch list next. 

I think for now Wesley Johnson is the better add with Rivers going down but Ferguson has the more intriguing ROS potential IF he can steal the starting job and minute of Roberson.

15 hours ago, Quazza said:

Lol no he didn't.  He played for my local team and barely saw the court 

Yea i was just guessing he had good stats and showed well based off of the articles i read, now that i actually check yea he didnt play enough to have a big impact

hes pretty irrelevant in fantasy hence my generalized comment without completely checking on him, was just going off info/blogs i got months ago since most probably had never heard of him anyway

and i still think hed be a better fit than roberson since he can shoot, i just hate roberson think hes a waste of space, nobodys defense is that good to where you shoot like him and still get 30 mins, especially with all the good players rotting on benches in the nba, except maybe tony allen

• 2 weeks later...

Still a nice hold in dynasty right? PG13 is def gone after the year, so his role should expand next season. Ferguson has the tools and athletic ability, but his last 5 games have been horrific. Pretty much what you would expect from a 19 year old rookie picked in the 20's, so still worth a shot. I'm middle of the pack with some injuries (Millsap/Deangelo) so i'm holding some lotto tickets (Ferguson/Hart) for the future. Almost dropped Ferguson for Bullock, but I think this kid will be a nice 3's and steals guy with around 15PPG possibly by next season if things go how I imagine they would. Wouldn't be surprised if he averages let's say about 1.8 3PTM and 1.2STL next year with a nice mixtape of dunks and oops. Thoughts?? 

• 2 weeks later...