NBC Sports Edge Forums

Types of leagues you play in  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Given the variations of opinions on players I was just curious to know what kind of league forum members participate in...will try to keep it really simple with the choices:

• RoTo - ReDraft
    • RoTo - Dynasty/Keeper
    • H2H - ReDraft
    • H2H - Dynasty/Keeper

I only play H2H Redraft.

I played points one year and it was trash.

Points dont promote trades or people to communicate imo. Went a whole year without one trade. Nobody

Ive never played Dynasty or keeper so im not sure how they work 

Edited by necro892003
Just now, necro892003 said:

I only play H2H Redraft.

I played points one year and it was trash.

Points dont promote trades or people to communicate imo. Ive never played Dynasty or keeper so im not sure how they work 

Sh|t i forgot about the points league as an option.  Keeper league allows you to keep certain number of players for the next season.  There is a number of ways you can do that:

keep the certain number of players indefinitely

keep them for a certain amount of seasons before they go back into the draft pool

keep them for certain amount of money in auction leagues

keep only players drafted in rounds x to z 

49 minutes ago, Deathrow said:

Sh|t i forgot about the points league as an option.  Keeper league allows you to keep certain number of players for the next season.  There is a number of ways you can do that:

keep the certain number of players indefinitely

keep them for a certain amount of seasons before they go back into the draft pool

keep them for certain amount of money in auction leagues

keep only players drafted in rounds x to z 

ah i get it. So what is dynasty?

Just now, BetterCallHinkie said:

dynos are like setting down with a wife and children. Redrafts are like one night stands without long term commitments. 

I prefer the whoring ability of redrafts

Lol. Me too.

1 hour ago, necro892003 said:

ah i get it. So what is dynasty?

Dynasty to me is where you must retain most and or very close to your entire roster.  Keepers typically limit the number of guys kept...such as 2 or 4, or whatever. I prefer auction type redrafts and keeper auction style. Trying my hand at dynasty again but it’s a bit different. 20 teams real salary cap roto. I am enjoying it so far...the salaries and cap add a different element. But, I’ll most certainly always prefer h2h auctions and or keeper auctions.

Edited by HK-47

Roto guy here, my unvarnished opinion is that H2H is like 2-dimensional Roulette, while roto is like 3-dimensional chess. Add in keepers and/or dynasty, and skill becomes the overwhelming determining factor in long-term success. Yes I am a huge poker fanatic too. If you like poker and are stuck in H2H hell, come to our side.

14 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

Dynasty to me is where you must retain most and or very close to your entire roster.  Keepers typically limit the number of guys kept...such as 2 or 4, or whatever. I prefer auction type redrafts and keeper auction style. Trying my hand at dynasty again but it’s a bit different. 20 teams real salary cap roto. I am enjoying it so far...the salaries and cap add a different element. But, I’ll most certainly always prefer h2h auctions and or keeper auctions.

H2h auction redrafts and keepers that is. If I had to pick my favorite of the two it would be redrafts. But, I do really enjoy the keepers as well.

Edited by HK-47

I used to do Roto but it gets extremely hard when you have a set amount of players you can play through the whole season.

H2H has it's limitations. You don't get to play everyone twice in 12 teamers, and sometimes managers just get lucky and get really favorable schedules. That's why Roto is always in the back of my mind but I've gotten so good at building H2H teams, I don't know if I can go back...

Would love to try auction style waiver wire. 

This isn't necessarily a type but a rule I would LOVE to implement next year, assuming 75% of league stays the same is last 2 place managers in the REGULAR SEASON has to pay an additional 25%-50% of the buy in, juicing up the pot a little more while promoting more competitive play throughout the season.

The leagues im in allow 1 keeper per year. The rest is redrafted. So I voted H2H redraft, assuming that the dynasty/keeper option is more geared tords leagues where you get to retain several guys, not just 1

Edited by Dominator83
added text
3 hours ago, Deathrow said:

Same thing, people use the two terms  interchangeably.

The terms are not interchangeable.  There is a clear distinction.

True dynasty leagues involve retaining the rights to your entire roster every year with only rookies available in drafts.  Some people use contracts or other means to reflect professional sports leagues even more.  Keeper leagues involving keeping a limited number of players, which can or cannot be for a limited number of years.

I'm in a 2 player keeper league where players can be kept indefinitely.  The consideration of future draft picks in deals makes it more interesting than standard redraft in my opinion.

In category leagues I think keeper/dynasty setups are even more compelling because of how you have to build teams around strengths and weaknesses.

These leagues, particularly dynasty ones, require active and dedicated owners though.  Disinterested owners and/or quitters can wreak a lot of havoc.

8 minutes ago, VaTerp said:

The terms are not interchangeable.  There is a clear distinction.

True dynasty leagues involve retaining the rights to your entire roster every year with only rookies available in drafts.  Some people use contracts or other means to reflect professional sports leagues even more.  Keeper leagues involving keeping a limited number of players, which can or cannot be for a limited number of years.

I'm in a 2 player keeper league where players can be kept indefinitely.  The consideration of future draft picks in deals makes it more interesting than standard redraft in my opinion.

In category leagues I think keeper/dynasty setups are even more compelling because of how you have to build teams around strengths and weaknesses.

These leagues, particularly dynasty ones, require active and dedicated owners though.  Disinterested owners and/or quitters can wreak a lot of havoc.

Thank you for that, I honestly did not know what the difference was.  Appreciate the clarification 

On 1/5/2018 at 4:47 PM, BetterCallHinkie said:

dynos are like setting down with a wife and children. Redrafts are like one night stands without long term commitments. 

I prefer the whoring ability of redrafts

LOL I love the analogy .  :lol:  You are right though, dynasty and even keeper leagues do require commitment.  I have been in a 12 team keeper (5) league for the last 6 years and we have about 7 or 8 of the original owners remaining.  My biggest peeve regardless of the league type is inactive owners.

On 1/5/2018 at 4:58 PM, rando said:

Roto guy here, my unvarnished opinion is that H2H is like 2-dimensional Roulette, while roto is like 3-dimensional chess. Add in keepers and/or dynasty, and skill becomes the overwhelming determining factor in long-term success. Yes I am a huge poker fanatic too. If you like poker and are stuck in H2H hell, come to our side.

That is exactly what I love about keepers/dynasty, long term planning and strategy.  I would love to move to full on dynasty where you pretty much can keep your entire roster but I have not been able to find another 11 "fanatic" owners lol.

Just now, Tom Chambers said:

I'd love to join a dynasty league (ideally one just starting), but it's hard enough to keep dedicated owners for keeper leagues.

Of for sure man, out of 12 owners in my league maybe I could count on 6 (7 including myself) for a dynasty league.  I have been thinking of disbanding  my league just because of the other 5/6 very inactive owners. You know it is bad when your trade offers are canceled due to time elapsed.

12 minutes ago, Tom Chambers said:

I'd love to join a dynasty league (ideally one just starting), but it's hard enough to keep dedicated owners for keeper leagues.

9 minutes ago, Deathrow said:

Of for sure man, out of 12 owners in my league maybe I could count on 6 (7 including myself) for a dynasty league.  I have been thinking of disbanding  my league just because of the other 5/6 very inactive owners. You know it is bad when your trade offers are canceled due to time elapsed.

why don't we set one up with other rotoword members? The reason I'm not in more leagues, is because a lot of you fantasy junkies want to play for money, which I refuse to do, because it negates the whole purpose of doing something just for fun.

So PM me if you are interested in setting up a new dynasty league 

26 minutes ago, Deathrow said:

LOL I love the analogy .  :lol:  You are right though, dynasty and even keeper leagues do require commitment.  I have been in a 12 team keeper (5) league for the last 6 years and we have about 7 or 8 of the original owners remaining.  My biggest peeve regardless of the league type is inactive owners.

Like marriage, divorce rates are always pretty high for dynos. But when your'e playing with your close mates it seems to keep the competitiveness to a higher degree relative to a dyno with random managers. The same can be said for any type of league however as there will always be those handful of blokes that forget to set lineups or just completely inactive altogether. The surge of Daily Fantasy Sports is revealing of the attention deficit disorder that our busy society is suffering from.