NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yangervis Solarte 2018 Outlook

What is a reasonable season expectation from him now?

he was on pace to hit around 23 homers in the past in Petco.  One would have to consider the chance he is able to be a .265 30 homer guy this year (I say this year because 9 are in the bank) and high 20s going forward. I always liked him and tried to draft him and this is the first year I got him so it’s not like he is out of nowhere. Thoughts? 

4 hours ago, merlin401 said:

What is a reasonable season expectation from him now?

he was on pace to hit around 23 homers in the past in Petco.  One would have to consider the chance he is able to be a .265 30 homer guy this year (I say this year because 9 are in the bank) and high 20s going forward. I always liked him and tried to draft him and this is the first year I got him so it’s not like he is out of nowhere. Thoughts? 

Assuming he stays an every day player, I predict a .270-32HR-95 RBI-88 Run season  

The Jays seem to know what they have right now too, as they've been batting Solarte cleanup lately.  I am a bit concerned about his PT in the future when/if the rest of the infield gets healthy, but given Solarte's extreme versatility and good bat, I can't see how they keep him out of the lineup.

7 minutes ago, Pap said:

What rest of IF?

Well the Opening Day lineup was supposed to be Smoak at 1B, Travis 2B, Tulo SS, Donaldson 3B.  Tulo and Donaldson injuries led to Diaz and Solarte playing on a regular basis, and then Travis just basically sucking has gave way to Gurriel at 2B.  Now Donaldson is back, and Tulo is supposedly going to be back in a few weeks.  With everyone healthy then Solarte likely slots in as an everyday 2B, but it gets a lot tighter than it has been lately.  

I'm not saying Solarte will likely get squeezed out, just saying that PT has been a given the last few weeks, and pretty soon there will be more mouths to feed.

Considering that Gibbons has entrusted Solarte as his everyday cleanup guy. I doubt he'll be getting unseated by Travis any time soon. I view Solarte as the everyday second baseman from here on out with a sprinkle of third base when Donaldson needs a breather. Travis will probably end up getting traded.

Edited by bigbluecrew56
14 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Solarte will share time at 2b/SS/3B (giving Donaldson a blow to DH, given his arm troubles), and when not around the diamond I would expect him to see more time than Morales at DH.

Agreed. He's going to get playing time all over the infield/DH. Gibby loves him, and so does bench coach DeMarlo Hale. The front office actively pursued him in the offseason. He's definitely gonna play unless he goes ice cold for an extended period of time.

48 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Well the Opening Day lineup was supposed to be Smoak at 1B, Travis 2B, Tulo SS, Donaldson 3B.  Tulo and Donaldson injuries led to Diaz and Solarte playing on a regular basis, and then Travis just basically sucking has gave way to Gurriel at 2B.  Now Donaldson is back, and Tulo is supposedly going to be back in a few weeks.  With everyone healthy then Solarte likely slots in as an everyday 2B, but it gets a lot tighter than it has been lately.  

I'm not saying Solarte will likely get squeezed out, just saying that PT has been a given the last few weeks, and pretty soon there will be more mouths to feed.

Travis sucked and was demoted. Tulo is one step away from retirement. If Solarte keeps hitting he will play, PT is not questionable. 

52 minutes ago, Pap said:

Travis sucked and was demoted. Tulo is one step away from retirement. If Solarte keeps hitting he will play, PT is not questionable. 

I'm not trying to argue that Solarte shouldn't be in the lineup, or that he won't be as long as he keeps hitting.  But it is a fact that as more players come back healthy, the more creative they're going to have to be to keep him in the lineup every day.  

Tulo has 54 million reasons to not retire before 2020.  He might be frail and toast, but once he's activated he's still likely the everyday SS, unless he can't stay above the Mendoza line.  Travis was horrible and 2B is Solarte's best route to regular PT going forward, but the Jays organization also likes Travis and views him as a regular player in the future.  He's had a lot of injury issues too, but he's also gone through long stretches of being a .300 hitter and batting leadoff.

Solarte was brought to Toronto as a low-risk utility infielder to replace Darwin Barney.  I believe he's a superior hitter to Travis and Tulo, and he's versatile enough that they should be able to keep him in the lineup.  But I could also see a cold spell hit, and Gibbons starts rotating infielders more evenly.  Hopefully that isn't the case and we don't have to cross that bridge, because Solarte has looked great the last couple weeks.  I didn't mean to create such a long discussion on PT, but I just wanted to clarify what I meant - since Solarte was never originally slated to start, now that he is forcing his way in, there will always be someone else on the outside looking in, and ready to steal ABs if given the chance.

Things have a way of working themselves out. Often injuries are what leads to playing time or on-going opportunities.  At this point, there are no reports of any progress by Tulo or that he has seen the light of day on any baseball field.  Travis has looked the part at times, but coming back from the knee injury has not gone smoothly.  He looked lost at the plate and I think both the injury and the lack of results coming back has shaken his confidence.  I believe the organization hopes that the trip down to AAA is a re-boot for him.  Still, without any results I don't see him coming back any time soon.  Until then, Solarte likely has a place to play somewhere on the field or at DH if he continues to hit above average.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pjoner said:

anyone still holding onto him him? I am ready to dump him...

Sure, never really thought about dumping him.  Hitting around .260 with an .800 ops and 12 homers with all the eligibility he has plays fine by me.  I don't expect much different going forward 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

ASB comes at a good time for Solarte. Pretty brutal lately. #455 (Y!) overall last 30 days, #718 last 14 days (1HR 3RBI 7K).

I had to lean on this guy hard early due to injuries and he was delivering but he needs to "rejuvenate intensely" over the next 3 days.

Edited by SuperJoint

He's had 3 walks in July..that's it and now leads the majors in GIDP.  He hurts you in Avg, SBs and if your league includes it BB's or OBP.  His OPS has fallen down to around .730.  That's it for me.  Adios!

Edit: I forgot to mention - his defense is terrible too.

The Jays will have no choice but to bring up Superboy soon.  This thread belongs in the VGJ thread as much as the Solarte thread :)

Edited by KingJoffrey
forgot something
10 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

ASB comes at a good time for Solarte. Pretty brutal lately. #455 (Y!) overall last 30 days, #718 last 14 days (1HR 3RBI 7K).

I had to lean on this guy hard early due to injuries and he was delivering but he needs to "rejuvenate intensely" over the next 3 days.

I am one of those owners who needs Yangy to rejuvenate find what he had going for those first 6 weeks of the season.

the last 4 weeks have been brutal. but when you play in a 20 team league finding a replacement is tough

• Like 2

I'm holding in deep leagues as injuries mount and his multiple position eligibility will be valuable as the year wears down. Plus slumps happen & he's been known to be streaky. So I'm not really worried. For my team he's a guy who can start on that Sunday when one of your other players is resting & might do good.