NBC Sports Edge Forums

Masahiro Tanaka 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

I wish he would've just opted out.  He had such a good matchup tonight but got clobbered.  Still only 2 hits in the game, both HR and just walking way too many.  Definitely won't be starting him in weekly leagues unless it's a 2-start week.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tanaka is a guy who I think could be underrated going into this coming draft season. Did you see what he did in the second half? Masahiro Tanaka’s 2nd half splits: 10.7 K/9, 1.65 Bb/9, 3.77 ERA, .229

Ok 35th in my league.   That's above the meh-ndoza line.   Yup, its a thing. Now. ?

Posted Images

On 5/16/2018 at 10:11 AM, ranger danger said:

Hot take there. It’s clear you have an irrational disdain for the man. Does your league not count WHIP? He’s backed by the best offense in baseball (wins), gets right around a k/inning, and historically has a very low WHIP (including this year, despite his ‘meh’ start). So he’s contributing positively in 3 of the 4 starting pitching categories, but yeah he’s trash. 

Never said he was trash. Don't put words in my mouth. I agreed that he is "meh". I also don't believe he's as good as you believe he is because an ERA of 4.50 over 180+ innings isn't good. I can roster another SP with the same or similar WHIP and K rate...but without the 4.50 ERA. So last year and this year...meh. 

3 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

I wish he would've just opted out.  He had such a good matchup tonight but got clobbered.  Still only 2 hits in the game, both HR and just walking way too many.  Definitely won't be starting him in weekly leagues unless it's a 2-start week.

14 ER in his last 20.1 innings.

He doesnt use his fastball enough.  Its just split, split, split, slider, split, split, fastball, split, split....so on and so on.  Texas hitters have been sitting on his split all night.  Laying off the ones out of the zone and pummeling the ones he leaves up.  The splitter is ineffective if you dont use your fastball and play the split off it.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, nykid1981 said:

He doesnt use his fastball enough.  Its just split, split, split, slider, split, split, fastball, split, split....so on and so on.  Texas hitters have been sitting on his split all night.  Laying off the ones out of the zone and pummeling the ones he leaves up.  The splitter is ineffective if you dont use your fastball and play the split off it.

He can't throw the fastball. It's a junk pitch now. He's got one of the most lifeless 92 mph fastball that I've seen this season. 

2017 first 10 games:

• 8.4 k/9, 2.44 bb/9
  • hr/9 2.11
  • ERA 5.86
  • FIP 5.31
  • xFIP 4.09

2018 first 10 games:

• 8.0 k/9, 2.24 bb/9
  • hr/9 1.76
  • ERA 4.95
  • FIP 4.84
  • xFIP 3.89

tanaka ended 2017 with a bad ERA of 4.74 ERA, but his second half numbers were excellent: 3.77/3.41/2.83.

maybe bench until he shows life? i dropped last year and regretted..hate to make the same mistake twice.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, ranger danger said:

6 IP, 1 ER, 1.00 WHIP, 8Ks

meh

Nice outing...let's see if he can string some of those together. The WHIP is nice, the Ks aren't exciting in this age of Ks, and the wins are useful if your league uses them. But until he drags that ERA down to a place that doesn't hurt a team...yeah, he's just meh. 

4 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Nice outing...let's see if he can string some of those together. The WHIP is nice, the Ks aren't exciting in this age of Ks, and the wins are useful if your league uses them. But until he drags that ERA down to a place that doesn't hurt a team...yeah, he's just meh. 

You're selling him short. He's not merely Meh he's Mehsahiro. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, rrrrich46 said:

He's pretty valuable in points leagues regardless of his "meh" factor. 

Pretty much. He's SP34 in my league, making him basically an SP3. A lot of that is due to playing for the Yanks, of course. He also has a decent K% and low WHIP.

9 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Pretty much. He's SP34 in my league, making him basically an SP3. A lot of that is due to playing for the Yanks, of course. He also has a decent K% and low WHIP.

He's SP55 in my 5x5 roto 12-teamer, which makes him basically an SP5...for the moment. 

On 5/21/2018 at 9:39 PM, MrBrown said:

i'm glad he didn't   we need the SP bad.   he was good in second half last year.   it's   Severino and nothing

Edited by rich22
3 hours ago, rich22 said:

i'm glad he didn't   we need the SP bad.   he was good in second half last year.   it's   Severino and nothing

He makes $27M/yr.  Clearly if he opted out they would've added SP.  

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

He makes $27M/yr.  Clearly if he opted out they would've added SP.  

where did you get $27 mil from?   he makes $67 mil 3 years.   or  $22.3 mil.     

who would they get?   Arrieta?   He is the only one     I wasn't sold on him either.      who else  was out there to get for $22 mil per?   Even Arrieta makes $25 mil.    Tanaka is a bargain at 3 years $67 mil

I'd bet on Tanaka over Arrieta over next 3 years.   Tanaka had an ok 2nd half and a great post season in 2017.   I'm banking on him doing well ROS

Edited by rich22

20 IP   2 ER   18 K  0.90  ERA and WHIP in   3 post season starts.   talk to me about it   Mr. Brown   hindsight is 20/20    he has been similar to 2017 up to May

he was 5-5 with a 6.32 ERA through May last year.      he is now 6-2  4.62 ERA      yes, wins mean something.   I'm sooooooooooo glad we have him

Edited by rich22
1 hour ago, rich22 said:

20 IP   2 ER   18 K  0.90  ERA and WHIP   3 post season starts.   talk to me about it   Mr. Brown

You're talking to me about 3 starts lmfao.

And for your last post where you talk about free agents.  There were trades that could've been made for SP as well.  One of them is having a phenomenal year and was very close to becoming a Yankee...