NBC Sports Edge Forums

SP Jesus Luzardo, OAK

3 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Here is a good article.  Right now, we know nothing other than he felt tightness.  His velo dip in the last inning, imo, means it might have been something that started bothering him but he finished the inning.  Hopefully, it is just a minor strain.  Still, I suspect he'll undergo an MRI today (or soon) to see if there is any damage.  His continued rehab will be determined by the extent of the lat injury, if any.

https://www.mlb.com/news/lat-injuries-in-major-league-baseball-c230442514

As of now this is how it should be viewed.  Yes it was a lat, but hearing them say they were just being cautious and it was just "tightness" means they feel it's (for now) minor and they were playing it safe.  The Syndergaard situation is what could happen if you're not cautious.  I remember that start and he felt something earlier in the game.  If they had taken him out then they maybe could've avoided him completely ripping his lat up later in the start.  

SO for now be optimistic til the MRI.  Right now it's subjective (Luzardo telling the trainers what he's feeling).  The MRI will be the objective part of the situation.  Of course something that feels like tightness to one person could be a grade 2 strain to another person.

My prediction with the info at hand is this will just delay his arrival by about a week or two in the end.

• Like 1
  • Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

The silence is scaring me. The As are in a tough playoff race and need him badly. If they are holding him out for long, I think that is a safe indication that it is pretty serious

It happened last night and MRI is today so no need to panic yet. Hopefully it’s as minor as they made it sound initially..  

20 minutes ago, Didgital said:

Grade 2. My quick google tells me he’ll be shut down for about a month. Rotoworld blurd says a couple weeks. Either way this is a bummer, been sitting on him for over a year

Redrafts can move on. The team is giving no timeframe for his return.

Really bummed by the MRI results.  To provide you guys some perspective of what a grade 2 strain likely means for Luzardo, I am cutting and pasting from the "Lat Injury" article I posted the link to above:

Syndergaard's strain has been labeled Grade 2, which means it has not torn completely off the bone, and surgery is generally not deemed the best course of action.
"You have to ask, what potential does the lat tendon have to heal versus not heal?" said Dr. Jeff Dugas of the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, Ala. "If it's torn all the way through and is separated from the bone, it's not going to crawl out and reattach itself. But if it's not completely detached and separated from bone, or separated from itself, it has the potential to heal itself. So do you repair it? Or do you let the patient's biology do it for you? With a Grade 2 tear, it's better to give it a chance."
The fact that the lat is also a core stabilizer used in basically every human activity as well as a respiratory muscle means it never gets a break, which makes resting it enough to allow it to heal a tricky endeavor.
In 2016, a case study done by doctors at the Cleveland Clinic looked at 30 MLB pitchers who had suffered lat or teres major strains. Twenty-nine were treated conservatively and allowed to heal on their own. Only one underwent surgical treatment. The average time required to return to pitching for the non-surgical group was 99.8 days, while the pitcher who had surgery missed 140 days.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, rrrich46 said:

Ok so is this a "he retains all his value for 2020" type injury? 

Or a "time to reevaluate his keeper status" injury?

I don't think there's any question that he's still a keeper.

agree that he is still a dynasty hold, but you have to hope that he eventually gets healthy and fulfills his potential. I am starting to get concerned that he may have trouble staying healthy and am just hoping that this is just a run of bad luck and nothing more.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, lavaman said:

Considering if I should trade this guy for a draft pick next season. Dynasty Hold for sure, but his health worries me.

Think about what one could have gotten for Alex Reyes at his peak value. I feel like this is Reyes all over again, but at least Reyes gave us a slight glimpse of what he could do in the majors in 2016. Luzardo can't even get to the majors.

Rich harden all over again smh. I remember going through this with him like it was yesterday.

Hold in dynasty, drop in redraft.

Even if he pitches well in the minors when he comes back I feel they’ll treat him like the jays treated vlad last year. If they’re about to make the playoffs and want him on the roster it’ll be like a David price type situation when the rays were championship contenders. So that’s probably the best redraft scenario, a little bullpen work here and there late in the season. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Is the consensus still drop in redraft or there a chance he can pitch in September?

When Luzardo suffered the grade 2 lat strain on July 2nd, he was more than likely on his last minor league outing before being called up to the show to join the rotation.

It seems his rehab is going well and slightly ahead of schedule, as he is penciled in to throw a 2 inning simulated game on Aug 1st. If all goes well, he should progress to pitching in minor league games shortly after and will need 2-4 starts to get back up to where the A’s wanted his pitch count to be at before coming up to the big league team.

As long as he doesn’t suffer any more setbacks, I don’t see why he couldn’t contribute in September, especially if the A’s remain in contention. My concern is that the A’s may want to baby him and stash him in the bullpen limiting Jesus to 1-3 inning stints. Just my opinion, but someone who has struggled to stay healthy, and is also supremely talented and can possibly help put you over the top in the fight for the playoffs, you will want him helping in some way or another in September. 50/50 Rotaion or Pen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Threw 2 scoreless IP in rookie ball today. Struck out 5, 1 hit and no walks.

Stats don't mean much at that level but good to see him get some game action.

17 pitches and 17 strikes. He started at High A in his last rehab. My guess he moves there next and throws 25-35 pitches. They won't want to push him to hard, but at some point he has to get on the accelerated track to give them a lift in late August/September if they are in the middle of a playoff race, which is likely. 

• Like 1