NBC Sports Edge Forums

SP Jesus Luzardo, OAK

9 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Did you have him ahead of Whitley (to make an impact as a rookie)? and do you still now?

I took Whitley over him. Looking at the HOU situation, McHugh has been getting bombed in spring, Peacock has been great but there's also the idea that they like him more as a long man in the bullpen - they're BP is weak right now without McHugh & Peacock, and Devinski no longer being superhuman. That leaves Josh James, who instead of getting stretched out to be a starter, is starting out in the pen. I think that gives Whitley the leg up as the next in line, and it will likely come before Luzardo has time to recover and build back up.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/15/2019 at 6:56 PM, lavaman said:

When is this guy coming to the Show?

When he is healthy and then when the team thinks he's ready.  He's roughly halfway through his shutdown period, so it's going to be a little while still at least.

• Thanks 1
On 4/20/2019 at 2:35 PM, KilloWertz said:

When he is healthy and then when the team thinks he's ready.  He's roughly halfway through his shutdown period, so it's going to be a little while still at least.

The news of his shutdown came 3/21 so it’s been roughly 4 weeks. We’re in the “window” for when his shutdown could end. Considering he has been feeling good I’d say he could start doing activities any day now. They said there’s no need to speed it up but he seems to be ok.

Jesus Luzardo (shoulder) has begun throwing at a distance of 75 feet in Arizona.

Finally some hint of progress from the 21-year-old left-hander, who has been shut down since March 21 with a muscle strain in his throwing shoulder. Luzardo still has many hurdles to clear and probably won't be an option for the A's starting rotation until at least late May, but his recovery is worth monitoring for fantasy purposes -- even if the payoff doesn't come until the second half of the season.

Source: Susan Slusser on Twitter

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 8:22 PM, ST. STEVEN said:

Jesus Luzardo (shoulder) has begun throwing at a distance of 75 feet in Arizona.

Finally some hint of progress from the 21-year-old left-hander, who has been shut down since March 21 with a muscle strain in his throwing shoulder. Luzardo still has many hurdles to clear and probably won't be an option for the A's starting rotation until at least late May, but his recovery is worth monitoring for fantasy purposes -- even if the payoff doesn't come until the second half of the season.

Source: Susan Slusser on Twitter

Wondering if there has been any further update?  I can't seem to find anything but we are now past the long end of the 4-6 week Timetable.  Even if he is ready to throw, I wouldn't anticipate him for at least another 4 to 6 weeks.

On 5/7/2019 at 1:31 PM, BigPapi44 said:

Wondering if there has been any further update?  I can't seem to find anything but we are now past the long end of the 4-6 week Timetable.  Even if he is ready to throw, I wouldn't anticipate him for at least another 4 to 6 weeks.

Curious about an update as well. I've been holding him in my league for quite a while 

“Top prospect Jesús Luzardo is throwing long toss as he recovers from a left shoulder strain. He’s likely to start throwing side sessions within two or three weeks.” -Susan Slusser (San Francisco Chronicle Staff Writer) 

“He’s feeling great, that’s the main thing,” - Gil Patterson (A’s Minor-League pitching coordinator)

https://www.sfchronicle.com/athletics/article/A-s-let-Kendrys-Morales-go-but-he-had-positive-13842646.php?psid=4tPPZ

Edited by Unoslacker

by RotoWire Staff
(4 hrs ago) Luzardo (shoulder) who has been throwing from 120 feet and completed a bullpen session earlier this week, is expected to begin pitching in minor-league games by the end of May, Martin Gallegos of MLB.com reports.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RTW10 said:

by RotoWire Staff
(4 hrs ago) Luzardo (shoulder) who has been throwing from 120 feet and completed a bullpen session earlier this week, is expected to begin pitching in minor-league games by the end of May, Martin Gallegos of MLB.com reports.

Even assuming a pretty lengthy rehab assignment to build up strength that's better than I was expecting. Puts him back on the redraft radar IMO (league/team dependent of course).  

22 minutes ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Someone on Twitter said he might be even better than Paddack this year 🤔 

It's hard to say that given what Paddack is doing in the majors right now, but yes prior to the season I was higher on Luzardo for sure. If his recovery progresses well he's definitely a priority add from a pure talent POV.

Edited by Baur10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He was dropped from #2 to #7 on the pitcherlist SP prospect stash for redraft because...

"This past week, Jesus Luzardo threw his first bullpen session after straining his shoulder in March and is expected to start in the minors late this month. Luzardo dropped a bit in this week’s ranking after Athletic’s beat reporter Susan Slusser noted that an August return might be more realistic for Luzardoan indication Luzardo’s injury is more significant than originally thought. Until Luzardo’s path to the Majors becomes more clear, err on the side of caution."

What do you guys make of that?

2 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

What do you guys make of that?

That I wouldn't count on him that much for redraft value (particularly with the A's not likely to contend), but am undeterred if I'm holding him in Dynasty/Keeper leagues (with the key being that he's throwing bullpen sessions).

1 minute ago, Dark One said:

That I wouldn't count on him that much for redraft value (particularly with the A's not likely to contend), but am undeterred if I'm holding him in Dynasty/Keeper leagues (with the key being that he's throwing bullpen sessions).

So you believe what they're saying? That he won't come up till August?

15 hours ago, pbjfb said:

So you believe what they're saying? That he won't come up till August?

They are not playing very well and could be out of the playoff hunt by the time he is ready, Maybe he doesn't even pitch in a major league game this year

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Facing live batters this weekend.

Yesssss this sounds like hes progressing faster than reported before...first it was August...then late June...but live batters sounds like...hmmm...maybe...stash now???

• Like 1
On 5/19/2019 at 8:29 PM, pbjfb said:

"Luzardo dropped a bit in this week’s ranking after Athletic’s beat reporter Susan Slusser noted that an August return might be more realistic for Luzardoan indication Luzardo’s injury is more significant than originally thought."

Do you have a link to the original report from Slusser stating this? Because I'm not seeing the original report anywhere. Sounds like it was simply speculative in nature since he's close to facing live batters.

26 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Do you have a link to the original report from Slusser stating this? Because I'm not seeing the original report anywhere. Sounds like it was simply speculative in nature since he's close to facing live batters.

I found the report, but it's a pay-site. Could only read a paragraph. I Tweeted to her asking for more information about her August/September projection, and she never responded.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1