Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

SP Jesus Luzardo, OAK


Recommended Posts

Luzardo, who recorded five strikeouts and allowed two earned runs on five hits, two walks and a wild pitch over 3.1 innings in Triple-A Las Vegas' loss to Sacramento on Saturday, could make his major-league debut immediately after the All-Star break, Martin Gallegos of MLB.com reports.

Gallegos reports Luzardo hit 99 mph in Saturday's start, an outing in which he worked up to 61 pitches. The left-hander is slated to log five innings and 75-80 pitches in his next start with the Aviators against Fresno on Thursday. He could then reach the 100-pitch threshold manager Bob Melvin previously emphasized Luzardo would need to hit as a requisite for a promotion in his July 2 Triple-A start, leaving him poised for a big-league debut immediately after the All-Star break.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Z06vette said:

Luzardo, who recorded five strikeouts and allowed two earned runs on five hits, two walks and a wild pitch over 3.1 innings in Triple-A Las Vegas' loss to Sacramento on Saturday, could make his major-league debut immediately after the All-Star break, Martin Gallegos of MLB.com reports.

Gallegos reports Luzardo hit 99 mph in Saturday's start, an outing in which he worked up to 61 pitches. The left-hander is slated to log five innings and 75-80 pitches in his next start with the Aviators against Fresno on Thursday. He could then reach the 100-pitch threshold manager Bob Melvin previously emphasized Luzardo would need to hit as a requisite for a promotion in his July 2 Triple-A start, leaving him poised for a big-league debut immediately after the All-Star break.

 

excited_elf.gif

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:
He didn't increase his pitch count.


The prior report indicated he was slated for 5 innings - it was probably an either/or situation (i.e., if he was up to around 75 by the 4th inning or so they probably wouldn't have let him come out for the 5th).

Edited by Dark One
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dark One said:


The prior report indicated he was slated for 5 innings - it was probably an either/or situation (i.e., if he was up to around 75 by the 4th inning or so they probably wouldn't have let him come out for the 5th).

This, or maybe cuz the velo gun wasn’t working? Want to keep tabs and see if he’s losing any gas when he hits the 70 count. Either way should still be on track for post all-star break debut.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KidDynamite420 said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/athletics-jesus-luzardo-starting-again-at-triple-a/amp/

Luzardo (shoulder) will start again for Triple-A Las Vegas on Tuesday, Martin Gallegos of MLB.com reports. The plan is for him to extend to six innings or around 90 pitches.”

 

Dang then I guess this means he will need two more starts before a call up so he can reach 100 pitches. Can we still expect him post All Star Break?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

Dang then I guess this means he will need two more starts before a call up so he can reach 100 pitches. Can we still expect him post All Star Break?

I don't see why not.  If it's not right after the All-Star break, it should be shortly after given that he's going to almost be up to the magic number on Tuesday.  As long as it goes good of course.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dark One said:

We can breathe now:
 

 

Wonder how many starts this pushes him back from the show. Was supposed to reach 80-90 today, 100 next start before a call up. Now I figure 80-90 next start, 100 after before a call up? Or does he figure to miss a start due to the lat issue?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, a lat issue isn't encouraging either but I guess at least it's not the shoulder again. This is feeling like a Severino situation where it started as a shoulder injury, then became a lat injury, and next thing you know it's a lost season altogether

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

Wonder how many starts this pushes him back from the show. Was supposed to reach 80-90 today, 100 next start before a call up. Now I figure 80-90 next start, 100 after before a call up? Or does he figure to miss a start due to the lat issue?


It probably pushes it back a start or two, but as long as it's minor (definitely glad it's not arm related) it shouldn't affect the current plans for him too much - especially with Mengden tossing another dud tonight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

This is feeling like a Severino situation where it started as a shoulder injury, then became a lat injury, and next thing you know it's a lost season altogether

Luzardo was throwing well in his rehab over the past three weeks and was beginning to get stretched out to make his debut soon, Severino hasn't even begun throwing off a mound yet so I wouldn't consider their situations similar yet, let's wait for an update on Luzardo first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dark One said:


It probably pushes it back a start or two, but as long as it's minor (definitely glad it's not arm related) it shouldn't affect the current plans for him too much - especially with Mengden tossing another dud tonight.

Color me pessimistic.  A lat issue is definitely not a one or two start push back, imo.  Given the A's have been super pre-cautious with him so far, I doubt he picks up a ball for 2-4 weeks.  No way they risk him aggravating the shoulder or lat, especially with a guy that's already had TJS.

Edited by BigPapi44
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a good article.  Right now, we know nothing other than he felt tightness.  His velo dip in the last inning, imo, means it might have been something that started bothering him but he finished the inning.  Hopefully, it is just a minor strain.  Still, I suspect he'll undergo an MRI today (or soon) to see if there is any damage.  His continued rehab will be determined by the extent of the lat injury, if any.

https://www.mlb.com/news/lat-injuries-in-major-league-baseball-c230442514

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...