NBC Sports Edge Forums

Todd Gurley II 2018 Outlook

Jin

Agreed with mostly everyone here. If I'm drafting #1 tomorrow I'm thinking this:

Gurley 75%

Elliott 20%

Bell 5%

DJ 0%

There's plenty of reasons why Gurley should be 1, but if I'm looking at how I feel this season is going to play out, I could see Elliott having a slightly better year. But when I factor in last year, their offenses, Elliott's slight off the field issues....gotta go with Todd. Feels safer. Also, Dallas's offense is so vanilla. Coach can talk all he wants about getting Zeke more involved in the passing game, but I'll believe it when I see it. I wanna say Elliott averaged about 3-4 targets a game and guys like Gurley and Bell average 6-7.

I'm talking standard here btw. Gurley is #1 hands down in PPR.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As we all know, logic and reason doesn't always play out like we would think, but Gurley is the clear number one in any format. Top guy last year, true three down back, if anything the offense has improved, and there are the least amount of question marks surrounding him versus the other top guys. Bell's offense is arguably as good, but he doesn't score TDs like the top guys does, he's not a home run hitter, and he has a bit more injury concern. With Zeke, the TDs are there, but he doesn't catch as much and the offense is atrocious. Not to mention he's one boneheaded off the field incident from another lengthy suspension. DJ's last two games have ended with season-ending injuries. That immediately takes him out of the running.

Like a lot of you, I like and prefer him as #1 over Le'Veon because he is not holding out (feels like most get injured/have down years when they holdout) and because of the potential to grow under McVay in the 2nd year.

Good luck and good health to all you Gurley men!

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

He's getting arrogant again...like he was preseason 2016. Was much better when he was humbled like last year.

ya know what "arrogant" truly is?  that numb nutz AP blaggin' on and on and on in preseason '13 about how he was gonna be the first 25/25 player in history (2,500 yds, 25 TDs) ... he then went on to finish some 1,100 yds and 14 TDs short of what his big stooooopid mouth spewed. 

saw him on NFLN that preseason, and he never once spoke of the Vikings, just spoke of himself, and all the records he was gonna demolish.  

so, plz check back in if/when Gurley starts incessantly babbling about himself and how dominant he's gonna be ... 'til then, there's really nothing to see here.  

He's getting arrogant again...like he was preseason 2016. Was much better when he was humbled like last year.

He said 'arrogant' things last preseason too... 

How is he much last year than this year before even playing a snap?

4 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

ya know what "arrogant" truly is?  that numb nutz AP blaggin' on and on and on in preseason '13 about how he was gonna be the first 25/25 player in history (2,500 yds, 25 TDs) ... he then went on to finish some 1,100 yds and 14 TDs short of what his big stooooopid mouth spewed. 

saw him on NFLN that preseason, and he never once spoke of the Vikings, just spoke of himself, and all the records he was gonna demolish.  

so, plz check back in if/when Gurley starts incessantly babbling about himself and how dominant he's gonna be ... 'til then, there's really nothing to see here.  

Yeah, that stupid arrogant AP had such a bad career and was such a junk fantasy player. If he would have thanked God instead and told the press he just wants to do right by the team then he surely would have rushed for 3000 yards that year. 

And the Vikings not winning anything all those years had nothing to do with the horrendous teams they put around AP in his prime years. If he was a little more humble they could have rode stud QBs like Gus Frerotte and Christian Ponder to multiple SBs. 

All sarcasm aside, unwavering confidence is what makes a lot of the league's stars who they are. You can call or arrogance or cockiness or whatever you want, but a lot of these guys are stars because they believe they are. Different things make different people tick, and I have no issue with one of the best players in the game actually believing that he is. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Todd Gurley II 2018 Outlook
On 8/3/2018 at 11:56 PM, handyandy86 said:

Yeah, that stupid arrogant AP had such a bad career and was such a junk fantasy player. If he would have thanked God instead and told the press he just wants to do right by the team then he surely would have rushed for 3000 yards that year. 

And the Vikings not winning anything all those years had nothing to do with the horrendous teams they put around AP in his prime years. If he was a little more humble they could have rode stud QBs like Gus Frerotte and Christian Ponder to multiple SBs. 

All sarcasm aside, unwavering confidence is what makes a lot of the league's stars who they are. You can call or arrogance or cockiness or whatever you want, but a lot of these guys are stars because they believe they are. Different things make different people tick, and I have no issue with one of the best players in the game actually believing that he is. 

Horrendous teams? They had an excellent defense during most of his prime and Favre in an MVP-level season. Unfortunately that was the year AP decided to fumble away his chance to get to a SB. 

On 8/3/2018 at 11:56 PM, handyandy86 said:

I agree, it's like so what if someone has confidence..people need not worry so much about what someone is saying. Let people be confident and If they fail its on them and hey so what if they fail, might be good for a laugh but overall who cares if someone is confident and wants to express it. 

People worry way to fn much about what someone else is saying, I couldn't care less if guys want to predict their season, go for it.. It won't hurt me any if you fail. 

On 8/3/2018 at 2:59 PM, joshua18 said:

yeah because Brady/Rodgers/Manning/Farve/Bell/Brown/ insert any other superstar, are humble as pie.  all these guys are arrogant.  when was the last time you heard an interview with the guy going "gee whizz i hope i can do good this year, ah shucks thanks for saying those nice things"  give me a break, these guys all have egos the size of the football stadiums they play in. 

10 minutes ago, Panthor said:

yeah because Brady/Rodgers/Manning/Farve/Bell/Brown/ insert any other superstar, are humble as pie.  all these guys are arrogant.  when was the last time you heard an interview with the guy going "gee whizz i hope i can do good this year, ah shucks thanks for saying those nice things"  give me a break, these guys all have egos the size of the football stadiums they play in. 

For what Brady has achieved, he is VERY humble. Big reason he's the GOAT and is the reigning league MVP at age 41.

For what Brady has achieved, he is VERY humble. Big reason he's the GOAT and is the reigning league MVP at age 41.

Not knocking anything he has accomplished, but it's real easy to be humble when things have gone your way for years n years.  No Star has been in a better situation than him.

3 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Brady is not humble.  Dude is smug as chit . He simply says the right things, like Jeter would.  They both love themselves lots.  

On 8/23/2018 at 10:22 PM, Goatstain3 said:

Brady is not humble.  Dude is smug as chit . He simply says the right things, like Jeter would.  They both love themselves lots.  

Brady is definitely good at DEFLATING his own ego

Gurley has a brutal schedule, but PFF says, "He averaged 22.4 fantasy points per game against defenses ranking top-10 in fewest fantasy points allowed per game to running backs. In his eight other games he averaged 21.0 fantasy points per game."

19 total TDs is certainly tough to duplicate and he may regress but out of all the top RBs this year, he has the least amount of concerns IMO.

Yes - Bell has a great track record but nobody can deny the wear on his tires and it would be much easier to take him #1 in PPR if he attended camp.

Gurley is the focal point of a dynamic offense that knows how to utilize him.  He is surrounded by a great supporting cast and set up nicely for another top 3 finish.

Archived