NBC Sports Edge Forums
Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

I remember Gruden last season in the booth saying how the Raiders needed to find ways to get their best receiver the ball. That it was not on him if he wasn’t getting his number called. Well gruden, it’s time to take your own advice to heart and tell your Jesus-loving quarterback to start playing with some recklessness and forcing the ball into your best playmakers hands. Scheming to the benefit of Jared Cook and Jordy Nelson in 2018 is a surefire way to guarantee loss after loss.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A QB who can’t throw and a WR who can’t catch. Not a good fit. A perfect fit. 

Amari for me is the 2017 Gurley of WRs.   - Young incredible talent, freak of nature, pedigree coming out of college - Coming off a disaster year after a promising start to NFL career

A first rounder?? A Dallas first rounder no less?? That’s going to be a top-15 pick! The Raiders just fleeced the Cowboys.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, rizon said:

I remember Gruden last season in the booth saying how the Raiders needed to find ways to get their best receiver the ball. That it was not on him if he wasn’t getting his number called. Well gruden, it’s time to take your own advice to heart and tell your Jesus-loving quarterback to start playing with some recklessness and forcing the ball into your best playmakers hands. Scheming to the benefit of Jared Cook and Jordy Nelson in 2018 is a surefire way to guarantee loss after loss.

Maybe he didn't realize how much Carr and Cooper suck. :(

13 minutes ago, rizon said:

I feel like Gruden and Amari did their parts; Carr just blew it. Gruden moved Amari all over the formation this week to get him decent matchups and got him in motion or in the slot on over 40% of his snaps. And Amari was open on multiple occasions and was a league leader in yards of separation in week 1. 

Carr just wouldn’t let plays develop or push the ball downfield. After his got pressured a few times early then got dropped with a low hit (roughing did get called) a few minutes into the 3rd, he got jumpy and hurried. There was a stretch in the late 3rd/early 4th where he checked into a run or passed the ball to Richard on 8 of 11 straight offensive plays when they were only down by 7 and 10 with plenty of time to go. Amari never got a chance to get open on those plays cause Carr would dump it off before receivers even got into their breaks let alone out of their breaks. 

I have a hard time believing Gruden would run the offense through Richard at any let alone that point in the game. 

I was at the game.  The problem was not the play calling or Amari. It was all Carr getting stuck in his own head caused by a tenacious Rams front. Better days ahead for all. 

Edited by WestCoastMets
2 minutes ago, WestCoastMets said:

I feel like Gruden and Amari did their parts; Carr just blew it. Gruden moves Amari all over the formation to get him decent matchups and got him in motion or in the slot on over 40% of his snaps. And Amari was open on multiple occasions and was a league leader in yards of separation. 

Carr just wouldn’t let plays develop or push the ball downfield. After his got pressured a few times early then got dropped with a low hit (roughing did get called) a few minutes into the 3rd, he got jumpy and hurried. There was a stretch in the late 3rd/early 4th where he checked into a run or passed the ball to Richard on 8 of 11 straight offensive plays when they were only down by 7 and 10 with plenty of time to go. Amari never got a chance to get open on those plays cause Carr would dump it off before receivers even got into their breaks let alone out of their breaks. 

I have ave a hard time believing Gruden would run the offense through Richard at any let alone that point in the game. 

I was at the game.  The problem was not the play calling or Amari. It was all Carr getting stuck in his own head caused by a tenacious Rams front. Better days ahead for all. 

Well Gruden came out and said it’s easier said than done to spark Amari.... soooo...not sure about blaming all on Carr. No one was good.

Edited by hangin n wangin
16 minutes ago, rizon said:

Carr has regressed and hasn't been the same since his Oline decided he needed a good a** kicking in Washington last year for not kneeling during the anthem.  He might not trust them much, it looked like that last night.  The disappointing thing about last nights game is the offense looked the same as Del Rio's.  Pounding Lynch and running muscle hamster was working, and the raiders probably need to stick with that to open up things downfield.

Edited by Red Dog
47 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

I mean nobody is expecting him to be OBJ right now, like you said, so I don't think that comparison is very helpful.

And yes, people thought he could become a top 5 WR after his first two seasons because he was statistically on that trajectory.  Obviously expectations have been reduced.

That’s not the point. My point is, people think he is elite. Elite WRs put up elite numbers regardless.

4 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Well Gruden came out and said it’s easier said than done to spark Amari.... soooo...not sure about blaming all on Carr. No one was good.

You know what would be easy? How about a screen pass? A slant from the slot? Give him some easy opportunities early to at least get him involved.  

13 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Fair, but Amari didn’t get a chance to be good as the whole team was hindered by Carr. You could see how in his head he was with that 2nd pick. Nobody was near him but he ‘felt the pressure’ and lobbed the ball to nobody in particular without even looking in the direction he was throwing; was one of the worst football moments I’ve ever seen. 

Ive got no skin in the game; not a Raiders fan and don’t have any shares of Amari. But Carr was the sinking tide that lowered all boats. 

As for Gruden saying Amari needs a spark and he still believes in Carr... I think that’s just a coach who knows what his players will respond to. With Carr a disaster, he needs to motivate his best playmaker to step up and lead. Could be Amari just responds better to tough talk, call outs and Carr needs hug and kisses and reassurances. Just my two cents. 

Edited by WestCoastMets
6 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

That’s not the point. My point is, people think he is elite. Elite WRs put up elite numbers regardless.

Who would ever say he’s elite? He’s projected and drafted as a WR2. Expecting anything more is a recipe for fantasy disaster. Hoping for more... that’s a different story but hope and expectations are very different things. 

13 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Rotoworld took the quote out of context.  When Gruden said "easier said than done" he was referring to this week vs the Broncos, not in general.

6 minutes ago, WestCoastMets said:

Who would ever say he’s elite? He’s projected and drafted as a WR2. Expecting anything more is a recipe for fantasy disaster. Hoping for more... that’s a different story but hope and expectations are very different things. 

There’s people that think he’s an elite player getting held back by coaching, QB, and etc. I’m saying elite talents learn to fight past that and put up at least respectable numbers.

Just now, Gohawks said:

There’s people that think he’s an elite player getting held back by coaching, QB, and etc. I’m saying elite talents learn to fight past that and put up at least respectable numbers.

Totally hear you. But my question is more in general than to you directly... why would people think he’s elite? He has pedigree sure but not every player who comes from a big time college program is elite. He had two very solid seasons to start his pro career but didn’t reach the heights of truly great WR early production. He had a down year last year and plays on a team with no WRs to take opposing ads focus off him as the defacto WR1. 

Ive read in this thread that he was on an elite WR trajectory. I don’t see it. Look at OBJs or Julio’s 1st and 2nd seasons. Cooper was not on their trajectory; people who drafted him to be an elite WR1 didn’t do their homework. 

4 minutes ago, WestCoastMets said:

Totally hear you. But my question is more in general than to you directly... why would people think he’s elite? He has pedigree sure but not every player who comes from a big time college program is elite. He had two very solid seasons to start his pro career but didn’t reach the heights of truly great WR early production. He had a down year last year and plays on a team with no WRs to take opposing ads focus off him as the defacto WR1. 

Ive read in this thread that he was on an elite WR trajectory. I don’t see it. Look at OBJs or Julio’s 1st and 2nd seasons. Cooper was not on their trajectory; people who drafted him to be an elite WR1 didn’t do their homework. 

Why would people think he’s elite? Probably because people think all kinds of crazy s---.

18 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

Rotoworld took the quote out of context.  When Gruden said "easier said than done" he was referring to this week vs the Broncos, not in general.

This. His actual quote was "We'll have to get Amari going. That's easier said then done when you're dealing with Roby, Chris Harris and a fierce pass rush"...There is no question that part was cherry picked.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, WestCoastMets said:

His ADP was late rd2 to mid rd3 in PPR. That's no WR2 expectations. That's in between WR12-WR15.

That's not a good return in investment if you are drafting a WR2 in that ADP area

3 minutes ago, Benjamin1984 said:

This. His actual quote was "We'll have to get Amari going. That's easier said then done when you're dealing with Roby, Chris Harris and a fierce pass rush"...There is no question that part was cherry picked.

Wow. That’s is click-baiting at its finest, I’m sure to spark debate in their forums and dive up impressions. That’s pretty terrible; makes me question much of what I read in the player headlines on RW. Aggregious. 

I agree with many here. 

He is a great speculative add. Meaning, I’d take a gamble and store him on my bench if he was on waivers. 

Any idea of trade is likely out the window with where he was drafted. Owners that picked him want to recoup some of that capital. Owners that didn’t draft him viewed him as a class above waiver fodder. 

A few more weeks and we could see a fair market correction. 

3 minutes ago, WestCoastMets said:

Wow. That’s is click-baiting at its finest, I’m sure to spark debate in their forums and dive up impressions. That’s pretty terrible; makes me question much of what I read in the player headlines on RW. Aggregious. 

Seriously. I had no idea. That is pretty bad.