Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums
Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A QB who can’t throw and a WR who can’t catch. Not a good fit. A perfect fit. 

Amari for me is the 2017 Gurley of WRs.   - Young incredible talent, freak of nature, pedigree coming out of college - Coming off a disaster year after a promising start to NFL career

A first rounder?? A Dallas first rounder no less?? That’s going to be a top-15 pick! The Raiders just fleeced the Cowboys.

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, mortman212 said:

Baldwin owner just offered me Cooper for my Tyler Lockett so that he is worth in my league and Im not sure I want Cooper

 

I'd say that's a pretty good buy LOW IMHO...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He has always been a boom bust player so one bad week shouldn't scare anybody away unless they didn't know what they were getting into. It is worrisome how the Raiders and in particularly Carr played which starts to make you think maybe last season wasn't just a down year. I'm not sure what happened to the Raiders after being a dumpster fire for a few years they looked like a real young promising team that could contend for multiple superbowls after 2016 then they just seemed to kind of implode last year and they look like a completely different team since. 

 

I feel he was grossly overdrafted but Rams are one of the best defensive teams and with Crabtree gone now all the defensive attention is basically on him. Like others have mentioned he isn't an elite WR so I don't think he has the ability to overcome those tough matchups and will likely need to adjust to being the true #1 (doesn't help his case that Carr seems unwilling to force the ball to him). 

Edited by Jaw1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, n4sa said:



They cut him because they know a suspension is coming, if they don't sign him before the regular season they don't have to pay him if he gets suspended mid season.



Exactly this.  Cutting and re-signing Martavis is purely a financial move.  It has little bearing on Cooper's usage imo.  

I am a little hesitant to start Amari this week though, but probably will do it anyway because I really do believe that Gruden will make him a focal point of this offense and he's going to light a fire under Carr's a** to get the ball down field to his WR's this week

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the bench until further notice. Broncos are no slouch and I’d feel better if the broncos were on the road.

 

cooper had separation all night. Carr sucks, and the second half really sucked for the raiders. Could be a long year. My league is totally risk averse so I’m sure he’s worth nothing right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

Who is starting him this week?

I am very nervous...

I cant do it. AJG, J Jones and Gordon are getting the start. Lets see what he can do this week and if the targets come. Idc who is covering him. If you say a guy is your best player, you dont target him 3 times. Amari must be mentally soft and Gruden has to play the over protective daddy to coop and make him feel all warm and fuzzy to keep him mentally stable from not falling apart. Im looking to sell but there will be better days ahead, predicting them is going to be the tough part, like it is every year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Something has to change. I have an internal feeling (though it could just be the oats from the morning parfait) that Gruden is going to give Carr his marching orders to look for Cooper first and often. I don’t think he puts up anything more than a 5-62 line but I do believe he gets moving this week.

 

Full disclaimer: with Baldwin out I have no choice but to pray to Jesus, willing Cooper to do something. Anything. Ugh.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

I cant do it. AJG, J Jones and Gordon are getting the start. Lets see what he can do this week and if the targets come. Idc who is covering him. If you say a guy is your best player, you dont target him 3 times. Amari must be mentally soft and Gruden has to play the over protective daddy to coop and make him feel all warm and fuzzy to keep him mentally stable from not falling apart. Im looking to sell but there will be better days ahead, predicting them is going to be the tough part, like it is every year.

 

That's a nice place to be. Not everyone can have such a luxury. Haha.

 

But yeah. Cooper's an easy sit @ DEN. I'd rather start Ted Ginn at home. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Rotoworld blurb
 
Speaking Tuesday, Raiders coach Jon Gruden said it was going to be "easier said than done" to spark Amari Cooper going forward.Cooper had a dreadful Week 1, catching 1-of-3 targets for nine yards while adding a nine-yard rush. Gruden actually did his best to get Cooper going against the Rams, featuring him out of the slot 45.2 percent of the time. That's compared to 21.8 percent a season ago. Derek Carr's struggles aren't helping. Busting Cooper's deepening slump is going to be extra difficult against the Broncos' stout secondary in Week 2.
 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rizon said:

Something has to change. I have an internal feeling (though it could just be the oats from the morning parfait) that Gruden is going to give Carr his marching orders to look for Cooper first and often. I don’t think he puts up anything more than a 5-62 line but I do believe he gets moving this week.

 

Full disclaimer: with Baldwin out I have no choice but to pray to Jesus, willing Cooper to do something. Anything. Ugh.

 

I'd recommend sitting for sure and dropping someone borderline to plug in someone in your lineup. Can't trust cooper at all. I would've felt better if he had targets or the tape showed that he was open and just missed for a TD or something. There's just nothing there right now to suggest he's startable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sternes said:
Rotoworld blurb
 
Speaking Tuesday, Raiders coach Jon Gruden said it was going to be "easier said than done" to spark Amari Cooper going forward.Cooper had a dreadful Week 1, catching 1-of-3 targets for nine yards while adding a nine-yard rush. Gruden actually did his best to get Cooper going against the Rams, featuring him out of the slot 45.2 percent of the time. That's compared to 21.8 percent a season ago. Derek Carr's struggles aren't helping. Busting Cooper's deepening slump is going to be extra difficult against the Broncos' stout secondary in Week 2.
 
 

 

Full quote: “We’ll have to get Amari going this week,” Gruden said. “It’s easier said than done when you’ve got (Denver cornerback Bradley) Roby and Chris Harris, and a fierce pass rush that doesn’t let you drop back and let these routes develop."

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

 

Full quote: “We’ll have to get Amari going this week,” Gruden said. “It’s easier said than done when you’ve got (Denver cornerback Bradley) Roby and Chris Harris, and a fierce pass rush that doesn’t let you drop back and let these routes develop."

 

Man, talk about out of context/fake news!  Thanks for the actual quote!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

Totally reasonable to want nothing to do with Amari but holy s--- try to make sound arguments in support of that position, there are plenty of them to be made.

 

You mean 1 year plus...1 game against one of the best secondaries in the league?

 

 

how exactly did he look bad yesterday?  it's pretty clear you're just looking at the stat sheet, not the "eye ball test"

 

Read this thread regarding the rotoworld Gruden blurb.  It was taken completely out of context and there was nothing said indicating that Gruden has "little confidence" in him.

 

Again, there are a multitude of legitimate reasons to dislike Amari but the ones you're giving aren't those.

I didn’t watch the last game, but I did watch the last year.  The stats and comments from the last game confirmed what I saw.  Cooper drops the easiest of catchable balls.  He was so bad he was costing them games.  A QB can only have some many drops by a WR before they loose faith, and go elsewhere (as Carr did in game one).  Cooper is a decoy, until defenses realize he’s nothing but a decoy.  Maybe then he’ll have a good game...

 

If Coopers fantasy owner dropped him, I wouldn’t pick him up even as a stash.  There are better WRs who didn’t drafted than Cooper.

 

Maybe someday Cooper will get his @#$ together, but until then he’s not worth a roster spot.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

I didn’t watch the last game, but I did watch the last year.  The stats and comments from the last game confirmed what I saw.  Cooper drops the easiest of catchable balls.  He was so bad he was costing them games.  A QB can only have some many drops by a WR before they loose faith, and go elsewhere (as Carr did in game one).  Cooper is a decoy, until defenses realize he’s nothing but a decoy.  Maybe then he’ll have a good game...

 

If Coopers fantasy owner dropped him, I wouldn’t pick him up even as a stash.  There are better WRs who didn’t drafted than Cooper.

 

Maybe someday Cooper will get his @#$ together, but until then he’s not worth a roster spot.

 

I watched the game...It wasnt his drops...3 targets and I think one of those targets was near the sideline and 8 ft over his head. There was just no looks. Carr got scared as soon as he was snapped the ball and dumped it off to cook. I grabbed cook, im excited for carr to remain scared the entire yr and I will leave cooper on my bench.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

I didn’t watch the last game, but I did watch the last year.  The stats and comments from the last game confirmed what I saw.  Cooper drops the easiest of catchable balls.  He was so bad he was costing them games.  A QB can only have some many drops by a WR before they loose faith, and go elsewhere (as Carr did in game one).  Cooper is a decoy, until defenses realize he’s nothing but a decoy.  Maybe then he’ll have a good game...

 

If Coopers fantasy owner dropped him, I wouldn’t pick him up even as a stash.  There are better WRs who didn’t drafted than Cooper.

 

Maybe someday Cooper will get his @#$ together, but until then he’s not worth a roster spot.

 

 

yeah this is where you lost me before i even knew where you were going. :lol:

 

last year was last year. Someof us don't draft last years production we draft based on expected production. 

Game 1 the plan was obvious to run the ball and exploit the linebackers with the big TE and for some reason Gruden didnt make adjustments in the 2nd half and open up the offense. The wr's Cooper-Seth-Jordy never sniffed the ball

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

“According to SportRadar’s Next Gen stats, Cooper averaged 3.61 yards of separation per throw on Monday. That’s the average of how far away the closest defender was on each of Carr’s pass attempts. Nelson was right behind at 3.59 yards. Those averages were the eighth- and ninth-highest in Week 1 among 69 starting wide receivers.

“Could those numbers be skewed by some off coverage late in the game, when the Rams were perfectly comfortable giving Raiders receivers plenty of cushion? (And the Raiders still didn’t throw the ball their way.) Not really. The fourth quarter was when Cooper actually averaged the least amount of separation on the night at 3.06 yards.”

*

 

In another way- Cooper has separation even against tough corners. Carr wasn't forcing it downfield and preferred the game plan of dink and dunk. IDK- still think Cooper's a sit for now. But these metrics are promising. And Jordy is not done. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Anyone watch the Raiders game and pay attention? Does he look slow? No separation? Just doesn't care? How does someone go from back to back 1000 yard receiving seasons to absolute dogdoodie?

 

 

I just wanna quickly say that “watching the Raiders play” and “watching the all-22” is WAY different in my book. As Ted Nguyen points out, he beat Talib consistently but when you play a dependent position like WR, it requires your QB to find you or at minimum look your way.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...