NBC Sports Edge Forums
Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A QB who can’t throw and a WR who can’t catch. Not a good fit. A perfect fit. 

Amari for me is the 2017 Gurley of WRs.   - Young incredible talent, freak of nature, pedigree coming out of college - Coming off a disaster year after a promising start to NFL career

A first rounder?? A Dallas first rounder no less?? That’s going to be a top-15 pick! The Raiders just fleeced the Cowboys.

Posted Images

Going to try and pack him with Fournette to get a reliable receiver. I have to get rid of him. 5 targets and 2 catches equals certified bum. A #1 WR has bad games, but not this bad. His bad is really bad. It’s off the charts bad.

I realize the morale of owners is low (as it should be), but is it worth buying this guy super low? 

I just can't see them not featuring him based on Gruden teams in the past, however 2 of 3 weeks with these showings is horrible. 

Ok full (painful) disclosure on Cooper for me..  

I'm a (currently unfortunate) Raiders lifer who is hateful of all their recency...  I hated the off-season moves...  I hate the move to Vegas instead of L.A. or staying with a new stadium in Oakland...   I hate watching individually talented players struggle as a collective unit....

But I'm also a Cooper guy, and as awful as he looks sometimes, he is also a young, ultra talented dood with a bright future....

He is currently 7th in separation yards so he gets open..  No other big time wr is ahead of him it's guys like jakeem Grant and Taylor Gabriel.. 

He has been open yet targeted only 18 times....  Golden Tate has 36 targets, ty Hilton has 32, even Enunwa has 29 so this is definitely not all on him and has to be frustrating for all involved...

I hate that he stopped on that route vs Miami, but the positives were he was open with three defenders trying to stop him....  And Carr finally looked pretty healthy with that bomb he launched 60+ yards...

New coach, New system, New players, a non existent pass rush/awful defense to put even more pressure on the offense are all hard to deal with and painful to watch...

I have Cooper in my keeper league and will continue to keep him because he gets open on game days enough to be featured and if/when that time truly comes he will be glorious to set and forget in fantasy...

Bottom line is I think Carr gets told the game plan like "We can attack them in the middle with the tight ends",  Carr gets tunnel vision and doesn't use the whole field, and Amari keeps beating his man for nothing...   

If/when Carr gets more comfortable Amari should get way more targets per game boosting his floor while still maintaining that huge ceiling he has...

And if Carr is just cooked & needs to go it will be a long year and Amari's redraft value will really bottom out, but if Carr figures it out Amari should get targeted enough to be anywhere from useful to monster...

• Like 3
11 hours ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Gotta love his effort on the route and after the pick

I hate to beat a dead horse but damn this was absolutely terrible on Cooper's part. Who gives up on a play like that? Owners can't complain about him not getting the ball and then watch this.

"Superstar" receivers don't have 2 or less receptions in 2 of their first three games played. Everyone keeps saying that he is open. If this is truly the case adjustments can be made at HT or game to game based on what they are seeing on the sidelines and on tape. We are just not seeing that so it has to be more.

2 hours ago, afl5013 said:

I realize the morale of owners is low (as it should be), but is it worth buying this guy super low? 

I just can't see them not featuring him based on Gruden teams in the past, however 2 of 3 weeks with these showings is horrible. 

It's all comes down to your expectations, don't buy him expecting him to be a every week starter because he's not that guy, I'd only advise buying low on him if you're team is strong enough to bench him.

2 hours ago, General Gannicus said:

Ok full (painful) disclosure on Cooper for me..  

I'm a (currently unfortunate) Raiders lifer who is hateful of all their recency...  I hated the off-season moves...  I hate the move to Vegas instead of L.A. or staying with a new stadium in Oakland...   I hate watching individually talented players struggle as a collective unit....

But I'm also a Cooper guy, and as awful as he looks sometimes, he is also a young, ultra talented dood with a bright future....

He is currently 7th in separation yards so he gets open..  No other big time wr is ahead of him it's guys like jakeem Grant and Taylor Gabriel.. 

He has been open yet targeted only 18 times....  Golden Tate has 36 targets, ty Hilton has 32, even Enunwa has 29 so this is definitely not all on him and has to be frustrating for all involved...

I hate that he stopped on that route vs Miami, but the positives were he was open with three defenders trying to stop him....  And Carr finally looked pretty healthy with that bomb he launched 60+ yards...

New coach, New system, New players, a non existent pass rush/awful defense to put even more pressure on the offense are all hard to deal with and painful to watch...

I have Cooper in my keeper league and will continue to keep him because he gets open on game days enough to be featured and if/when that time truly comes he will be glorious to set and forget in fantasy...

Bottom line is I think Carr gets told the game plan like "We can attack them in the middle with the tight ends",  Carr gets tunnel vision and doesn't use the whole field, and Amari keeps beating his man for nothing...   

If/when Carr gets more comfortable Amari should get way more targets per game boosting his floor while still maintaining that huge ceiling he has...

And if Carr is just cooked & needs to go it will be a long year and Amari's redraft value will really bottom out, but if Carr figures it out Amari should get targeted enough to be anywhere from useful to monster...

Hmm. I definitely have the feeling that part of the blame for Amari's struggles falls on Carr. But when you see Amari quit on a route like that and Carr throw an interception as a result it might be difficult for Carr and the coaching staff to trust Amari. And this has probably been going on with Amari since he arrived in the NFL. Great player talents don't yo-yo yardage totals the way Amari does unless something is wrong with the player in question. Work ethic and laziness appear to be real issues.

I don't know if this gets fixed. Amari remains a strong "sell high" if he puts together a couple nice games like he is capable of.

Edited by devaster
  • Like 1

I’ve come to the conclusion that Cooper isn’t mentally tough at all. He doesn’t seem to give his best effort if he’s not heavily involved & someone else is doing well. I don’t know if I’ll get much but I’m done & trying to move him

• Like 1
12 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

That shows how lazy Cooper is a why I’ll never be fooled into drafting him ever again.

Man and I was SOOOOOO happy after that 10 for 10 receiving stat he had last week.  

Fools gold.

I put about 85% of the blame on Carr. The NFL game is too fast for him to utilize a player like Cooper. he seems capable only of hitting wide open dudes, rather than anticipating an opening that's about to develop.

I was trying to explain the Carr/Cooper situation to my GF, who is a musician, and I described it as a lead singer who is decent but not great (Carr), who has an incredible bass player that is by far the most talented musician in the band,  but the lead singer refuses to give the bassist any solos, and never gives him credit of any kind, essentially treating him as "just another guy" and completely squandering his potential. 

I firmly believe that if Cooper had a Tom Brady or Drew Brees -- or even a Josh McNown -- he'd be a top-12 receiver. 

On one hand, when you get paid millions to play a sport, there is no excuse to ever give up on a route. On the other hand... I'm a little bit sympathetic. Carr so rarely gives him a shot, or looks his way, there was probably an element of "what's the point?".    Kind of like playing pickup basketball with some overconfident tool who thinks he is Kobe, and never passes, or only to his friend, and eventually you just stop cutting or trying to get open, and just stand in the corner.

I say we get a Twitter movement started:     #FreeAmari 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 2
Just now, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I put about 85% of the blame on Carr. The NFL game is too fast for him to utilize a player like Cooper. he seems capable only of hitting wide open dudes, rather than anticipating an opening that's about to develop.

I was trying to explain the Carr/Cooper situation to my GF, who is a musician, and I described it as a lead singer who is decent but not great (Carr), who has an incredible bass player that is by far the most talented musician in the band,  but the lead singer refuses to give the bassist any solos, and never gives him credit of any kind, essentially treating him as "just another guy" and completely squandering his potential. In a game like baseball, individual talent rises to the top because things like hitting aren't dependent on your teammates, whereas in football, a receiver's potential is largely in the hands of the QB. 

I firmly believe that if Cooper had a Tom Brady or Drew Brees -- or even a Josh McNown -- he'd be a top-12 receiver. 

On one hand, when you get paid millions to play a sport, there is no excuse to ever give up on a route. On the other hand... I'm a little bit sympathetic. Carr so rarely gives him a shot, or looks his way, there was probably an element of "what's the point?".    Kind of like playing pickup basketball with some overconfident tool who thinks he is Kobe, and never passes, or only to his friend, and eventually you just stop cutting or trying to get open, and just stand in the corner.

I say we get a Twitter movement started:     #FreeAmari 

Such a weird take.   Carr has been lights out for 2 weeks straight.   The last time he was on the same page as his OC(musgrave) he was an MVP candidate all season.  

The problem doesn’t seem to be with the qb

6 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Such a weird take.   Carr has been lights out for 2 weeks straight.   The last time he was on the same page as his OC(musgrave) he was an MVP candidate all season.  

The problem doesn’t seem to be with the qb

Am I just in denial that Cooper isn't that good? 

5 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I think we have all been in denial in regards to Cooper.  I have had him for three years in a keeper league and have come to the conclusion that it's just not gonna happen with this guy.  Look at the video above where he gives up GIVES UP on the route.  He is lazy and he drops too many passes (didn't he have another drop on Sunday?).  We keep blaming Carr, but how can any QB trust Cooper when he is giving up on routes and dropping passes.  The next time he goes deep, how can Carr trust him to complete the route?  The INT happened because of Cooper and that was inexcusable.  

We were all complaining after week 1 that this was a Carr problem because he was dumping off too much to the RB and TE.  Well clearly the evidence is there to see exactly why he shouldn't be throwing deep to Cooper or to Cooper at all.  I'm going to try to trade him and am tired of playing this game of whether or not to start him.  It's frustrating and the potential upside with this guy is not worth the hassle.  Hopefully he will go off next week and then I can find a sucker to take him.  

I honestly just think the coaching staff, Carr and Cooper are not on the same page.  No single person deserves all of the blame this is just a complete mess of a situation right now.

Week 1: 3 targets (Cooper was open deep on several plays, coaching staff says they need to get him the ball more often)

Week 2: 10 targets (and 10 catches)

Week 3: 5 targets

I'm not ready to completely blame Cooper for his lack of production so far this season.  As you can see he's not getting enough targets on a weekly basis.  It would be a different story if he got 8+ targets every week and wasn't producing but that's not the case. 

I mean, the Raiders are 0-3, are you going to blame Amari Cooper for that as well?  No, the coaching, play calling, game plan, and Derek Carr's lack of willingness to use the entire field is more than likely all contributing to why the Raiders are losing right now and why Amari Cooper is not cooking right now. 

I still think Amari Cooper is the best player on that offense and a big reason why they're losing is because he's not getting the ball.

As for the play above where he stops on the route, terrible play by him but maybe he thought Carr got sacked and that's why he stopped on the route not because he was lazy or has bad work ethic.  Those are pretty unjustified assumptions from people who aren't on the team and aren't in the locker room.

Edited by skye2388
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I don’t really know TBH.   Carr has thrown too many picks and they’ve struggled in the RZ- but his accuracy has been record setting . (Week 2 29/32- unheard of).     Every week they’ve had a different wr go off-  Cook, Coop, Jordy...so it’s not as if he’s refusing to distribute the ball.   It’s almost like they just don’t trust Amari when he’s got a stud cb on him.    I wish I could tell u for sure what the deal was-  this trend of disappearing entirely from strings of games is really persisting for Cooper.