NBC Sports Edge Forums
Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A QB who can’t throw and a WR who can’t catch. Not a good fit. A perfect fit. 

Amari for me is the 2017 Gurley of WRs.   - Young incredible talent, freak of nature, pedigree coming out of college - Coming off a disaster year after a promising start to NFL career

A first rounder?? A Dallas first rounder no less?? That’s going to be a top-15 pick! The Raiders just fleeced the Cowboys.

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

Addition by subtraction.

I'm commissioner of a friends league.

Team A drops Amari Cooper Tuesday Night for some WW player.

Multiple teams cry to me about someone dropping Cooper, I stand up for the guy and tell them A: He sucks B: No one will trade for him C: Free to manage your team as you wish.

Team B spends $65 FAAB on Amari Cooper.

This week Team A and Team B play each other.  Team B plays Amari Cooper against Team A (who dropped him) in favor of his previous WR2, Demaryius Thomas.

Demaryius outscored Cooper by 19.5, which will cost Team B the win this week.

Dropping Amari Cooper, literally resulted in a win for that team owner.

This is not meant to be a CSB, it's meant to demonstrate that if you have certain players rotting on your bench, that you can't trust, can't trade, and you're afraid to drop... sometimes you'd rather see that land mine on your opponents team than your own.  Don't be afraid to cut bait and move on.  We're now 5 weeks into the season, it's time to genuinely analyze the players you're holding onto and be honest with yourself.  If it hasn't happened yet, it's probably time to move on to someone who can have a bigger effect on your team down the road.

For those of you on the fence, even if Amari turns it around, how many times in a row will you have to see it, until you actually trust him enough to start him?  We're 5 weeks into the season, If he goes off in Week 6, we all ignore it as another up/down.  Week 7 is the bye, no matter what happens week 6, you can't trust him week 8.  If week 7 and week 8 are both good, finally in week 9 you have a decision to make.  Best case scenario, in 4 weeks, you might start Cooper.  Think about that.  Name value and draft day value are now meaningless to the fantasy season.  With the conclusion of week 5, we're now just under 40% of the way through the regular season.

I agree with the concept but I think there is a place on 95% of rosters for a boom/bust WR3.

Shopped Amari like crazy this week. Then he puts up yet another dud. Officially un-tradeable in the league I own Amari in. Going forward I have to view Amari as expendable if another hot WR is available on the wire or I need a bye week fill-in at kicker, defense, or something else.

1 minute ago, Chwf3rd said:

I agree with the concept but I think there is a place on 95% of rosters for a boom/bust WR3.

In my 10-team standard league we have small benches with WR/RB limits of 5 each. He is borderline droppable in such a league. And that is the old standard ESPN league settings. I'm sure plenty of folks still use them as we have continued to use them for 5+ years.

Just now, devaster said:

Shopped Amari like crazy this week. Then he puts up yet another dud. Officially un-tradeable in the league I own Amari in. Going forward I have to view Amari as expendable if another hot WR is available on the wire or I need a bye week fill-in at kicker, defense, or something else.

In my 10-team standard league we have small benches with WR/RB limits of 5 each. He is borderline droppable in such a league. And that is the old standard ESPN league settings. I'm sure plenty of folks still use them as we have continued to use them for 5+ years.

Yeah that makes sense.  I was lucky enough to trade him after last week for a struggling player on a team desperate at WR.

I think he still has enough name cache where you could move him after the next blow up game

Just now, dashoe said:

Amari is a bye week fill -in simple as that.

In deeper leagues, yes. In 10-12 team leagues I don't think he is even that unless you somehow drafted a bunch of WRs that all have the same bye. At this point I think Amari is a hail mary if you are down big after the first set of games and Amari is playing in that late afternoon or prime time game. He is often a 4pm EST kickoff.

He can’t reakky get this much hate only getting 1 target can he lol?? I won’t start the guy until bye weeks or injuries but shouldn’t the hate be going towards the guy throwing him the passes right now? 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, chud12 said:

He can’t reakky get this much hate only getting 1 target can he lol?? I won’t start the guy until bye weeks or injuries but shouldn’t the hate be going towards the guy throwing him the passes right now? 

Exactly 

55 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

Addition by subtraction.

I'm commissioner of a friends league.

Team A drops Amari Cooper Tuesday Night for some WW player.

Multiple teams cry to me about someone dropping Cooper, I stand up for the guy and tell them A: He sucks B: No one will trade for him C: Free to manage your team as you wish.

Team B spends $65 FAAB on Amari Cooper.

This week Team A and Team B play each other.  Team B plays Amari Cooper against Team A (who dropped him) in favor of his previous WR2, Demaryius Thomas.

Demaryius outscored Cooper by 19.5, which will cost Team B the win this week.

Dropping Amari Cooper, literally resulted in a win for that team owner.

This is not meant to be a CSB, it's meant to demonstrate that if you have certain players rotting on your bench, that you can't trust, can't trade, and you're afraid to drop... sometimes you'd rather see that land mine on your opponents team than your own.  Don't be afraid to cut bait and move on.  We're now 5 weeks into the season, it's time to genuinely analyze the players you're holding onto and be honest with yourself.  If it hasn't happened yet, it's probably time to move on to someone who can have a bigger effect on your team down the road.

For those of you on the fence, even if Amari turns it around, how many times in a row will you have to see it, until you actually trust him enough to start him?  We're 5 weeks into the season, If he goes off in Week 6, we all ignore it as another up/down.  Week 7 is the bye, no matter what happens week 6, you can't trust him week 8.  If week 7 and week 8 are both good, finally in week 9 you have a decision to make.  Best case scenario, in 4 weeks, you might start Cooper.  Think about that.  Name value and draft day value are now meaningless to the fantasy season.  With the conclusion of week 5, we're now just under 40% of the way through the regular season.

Fantasy Land mine is the perfect description for Cooper

It's the quarterback's fault. It's the coaching staff's fault. It's the opposing cornerback's fault. It's the game script's fault. It's the odd week's fault. It's always something besides Amari isn't it. But here's an update on his career history...

Sometimes players are who we thought they were. Cooper has now played in exactly 52 NFL games (including one playoff game).

He's been held under 50 yards in 27 of 52 games...so over 50% of his career games.

In 2015, he was under 50 yards in 8 of 16 games.

In 2016, he was under 50 yards in 7 of 17 games (including the playoff game). 

In 2017, he was under 50 yards in 9 of 14 games.

In 2018, he is under 50 yards in 3 of 5 games.

Setting the bar even lower, Cooper is statistically more likely to get 20 or less yards in a game (14 of 52 career games, so 26.9% of his games) than to get 100 yards (13 of 52 career games, so 25%). 

This is every game of his career...

5-47-0

7-109-1

8-134-0

4-49-1

4-47-0

5-133-1

5-46-0

7-88-1

5-79-0

1-4-0

7-115-0

4-69-0

0-0-0

6-120-2

2-10-0

2-20-0

6-137-0

5-71-0

4-62-0

5-48-0

6-138-1

10-129-0

4-29-0

12-173-1

6-56-0

4-57-1

4-22-0

2-59-1

5-29-0

1-18-0

5-76-0

4-39-1

2-10-0 (playoffs)

5-62-1

4-33-0

1-6-0

2-9-0

1-8-0

5-28-0

11-210-0

5-48-0

4-58-0

3-28-1

1-9-1

0-0-0

3-66-1

3-115-1

1-9-0

10-116-0

2-17-0

8-128-1

1-10-0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
13 minutes ago, TomisTerrific said:

Next big game = sell sell sell

We tried. We failed. I think the above poster was right. Maybe dropping him and letting him burn another owner's roster spot is the most prudent thing at this point. I was actually really lucky as I was an underdog last week and threw Cooper into my 4PM flex spot, and somehow he helped me win.

I think that's the only thing I'll get from him this year. I think it's time to cut the cord for hotter prospects ONLY.

19 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

We tried. We failed. I think the above poster was right. Maybe dropping him and letting him burn another owner's roster spot is the most prudent thing at this point. I was actually really lucky as I was an underdog last week and threw Cooper into my 4PM flex spot, and somehow he helped me win.

I think that's the only thing I'll get from him this year. I think it's time to cut the cord for hotter prospects ONLY.

I mean, there were valid reasons to bench him this week and its not like before today's game he was a must start. Those of us that drafted him need to pick our spots very carefully. At least he's not the worst guy to have around during bye weeks. 

In 10 team leagues, it's totally reasonable to have the ''drop'' conversation. 

It's ok Cooper is an even week type of guy. Averages 9 catches 122 yards and .5 TDs in even week games this year. Start with "confidence" next week. 

Edited by Jaw1