NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Amari Cooper 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

16 minutes ago, Mahomet said:

More on this.

This is the problem. There's a metric citing that Cooper leads the league in avg. yards separation, so Amari's getting open. Carr lacks the confidence either in himself or his receiver to take the calculated risk and toss a target Coop's way. This is the trend now, with a decent sample size to show it. 

Our job is to identify games where Coop has a matchup that a timid quarterback feels confident enough to test. Until Carr mans up and shows the chemistry/trust that big boy QBs have with their WR1s, that's all we can play for. For whatever reason, right now he's playing scared, it makes the Raiders offense one dimensional, and it's not surprising that Cooper's target counts directly correlate to Oakland being competitive in games. 

TLDR; Coop startable only in matchups with JAG corners. Solid potential for 8+ targets and min. 80 yards in all other situations. Can someone grab the schedule and cross that with PFF CB grades to make a start/sit list for ROS?

Start: Never

Sit: Always

• Like 1

Hate to break it to everyone but this comes with the territory. I wish I had stats to back this up but Cooper might have the biggest standard deviation (shoutout 9th grade algebra) of all top 30 WRs from the past couple seasons.

I owned him outright two years ago and for .5 season last year. He'll either win you your week or lose you your week. That's the risk you run. 

• Like 1

Heres the thing. 

At a certain point, some/most of the blame gotta be on Carr. When Cooper is targeted/force fed, he produces. 

Its really not on Cooper when he gets 3, 5 and 1 target(s), his odd numbered bad weeks.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JDOG said:

The WR version of Derrick Henry! All hype no results!

So far, the score is 2 results on even weeks, and 3 duds on odd weeks... Next week is an even week:lol:

Meanwhile, Henry's been a consistent force of 5-6 points in ppr.:lol:

I drafted Cooper as a rookie in my dynasty IDP league in 2015. All I can say is that I don't understand why he has regressed to the point where I'm not even considering keeping him at his age 24 season! It really pains me because I B Cooks was a 2nd year guy who went un kept and I was debating about drafting him over Cooper but went with Cooper instead..... In other words that mistake hurts big time!

He has to be the oddest thing going in fantasy. 

How on Earth does a former Top 5 pick, playing with an above avg to avg QB produce so many games under 20 yards, which are basically like taking goose eggs. I had him last year and he became one of those "never again" players. Was shocked he was going in the 3rd round in fantasy. 

8 minutes ago, RepoMan said:

He has to be the oddest thing going in fantasy. 

How on Earth does a former Top 5 pick, playing with an above avg to avg QB produce so many games under 20 yards, which are basically like taking goose eggs. I had him last year and he became one of those "never again" players. Was shocked he was going in the 3rd round in fantasy. 

His ADP didn't move down from last year because Gruden was blasting all over the news feed about how he was going to feature this gem named "Amari Cooper". 

What happened next was a performance still better than last year, with horrible floor and good ceiling... But certainly not the high end wr2 or the expected wr1 numbers if you had drafted RB/RB in the first two rounds

10 hours ago, Cleanface said:

I dropped him after the third week.  Had him last season too.  

RAGE DROPPED.  Picked up T. Boyd.

Feel great about it.  Some other poor bastard started him this week and lost...heehee.

You are my idol.  I should've traded him last week.  Ugh. 

His down weeks have come against the Rams (Peters/Talib), the Dolphins (X. Howard), and the Chargers (Hayward). 

Studs perform against all matchups, but judging from the box scores Carr simply doesn't throw at elite corners, and Cooper's stats obviously suffer as a result. 

Jordy getting more run in the slot at the expense of Cooper is part of the problem here. Cooper has a much more difficult time shaking shadow coverage when he's stuck on the outside. 

• Thanks 1

Cooper is the 39th WR in my league (12 person, PPR).

Congratulations Cooper owners you got a WR4 for only WR2 money.

Am I going to Hell for trolling Cooper owners?  Pretty sure mama said leave insane people alone...

Insane “doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result”.

It’s good to hear some Cooper owners are in recovery! (Boyd & Lockett = WR2)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

Am I going to Hell for trolling Cooper owners?  Pretty sure mama said leave insane people alone...

I've actually always been a Lockett fan, feel free to check previous years posts. Your own logic falls apart though as someone like Lockett had 3 bad useless fantasy years in his previous and only 3 years. It's a story of sticking to talent regardless of temporary fantasy value. That is, unless you only heard of Tyler Lockett this year or you play in a shallow enough league where nothing matters because you can pick up Lockett in week 4 or 5 after starting the season with 3 double digit games.  Similar could be said about Boyd too.

Being the 39th receiver after 4 games is far from ideal from your WR2, but acting like this is some ridiculous bust 5 weeks in is also shortsighted. He has some big games to come.  In a 12 team 3 WR league, seems pretty statutable most weeks, especially in byes.  

Edited by brockpapersizer

15 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I've actually always been a Lockett fan, feel free to check previous years posts. Your own logic falls apart though as someone like Lockett had 3 bad useless fantasy years in his previous and only 3 years. It's a story of sticking to talent regardless of temporary fantasy value. That is, unless you only heard of Tyler Lockett this year or you play in a shallow enough league where nothing matters because you can pick up Lockett in week 4 or 5 after starting the season with 3 double digit games.  Similar could be said about Boyd too.

Being the 39th receiver after 4 games is far from ideal from your WR2, but acting like this is some ridiculous bust 5 weeks in is also shortsighted. He has some big games to come.  In a 12 team 3 WR league, seems pretty statutable most weeks, especially in byes.  

You’re right.  I should go easy on Cooper.  He finished 36th last year, and he’s 39th after 5 games.  There’s some upside to become a bottom of the barrel WR3.  Go Cooper!

With Baldwin back, Lockett might fall to a good WR3...

For Boyd the situation has changed (from last year) he’ll remain a WR2.

55 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

jim carrey idk GIF

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

You’re right.  I should go easy on Cooper.  He finished 36th last year, and he’s 39th after 5 games.  There’s some upside to become a bottom of the barrel WR3.  Go Cooper!

With Baldwin back, Lockett might fall to a good WR3...

For Boyd the situation has changed (from last year) he’ll remain a WR2.

you missed the point.  Lockett was trash for 3 years.  Had you given up on Lockett because "Insane “doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result”, you'd have missed out on Lockett. Again speaking to people who play in leagues of consequences and not leagues where you can pick these guys up after 4-5 weeks like some can.

Im not arguing that Cooper hasn't disappointed through 5 weeks. 

Edited by brockpapersizer