NBC Sports Edge Forums
Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A QB who can’t throw and a WR who can’t catch. Not a good fit. A perfect fit. 

Amari for me is the 2017 Gurley of WRs.   - Young incredible talent, freak of nature, pedigree coming out of college - Coming off a disaster year after a promising start to NFL career

A first rounder?? A Dallas first rounder no less?? That’s going to be a top-15 pick! The Raiders just fleeced the Cowboys.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I like how you conveniently leave out he only has 22 receptions. 

i dint think it was relevant but since u introduced it lets throw in another metric to give it context,

25 out of 33 targets were catchable so that mean 22 catches out of 25 good targets and  we know 2 of those were drops

22 of 25 = 88% catch rate or true catch rate same as  your favorite wr OBJ and a hair  ahead of AB @ 87%. 

it's not Amari that's the problem :)

Edited by dashoe
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, dashoe said:

i dint think it was relevant but since u introduced it lets throw in another metric to give it context,

25 out of 33 targets were catchable so that mean 22 catches out of 25 good targets and  we know 2 of those were drops

22 of 25 = 88% catch rate or true catch rate. :)

it's not Amari that's the problem

Last year, I came to the conclusion that Gurley was a very good player not performing due to him either losing confidence or interest along with being on a bad team. Everyone knew he had the potential to be elite but not only did he perform bad he looked like a bum. I figured it was because his team was so pathetic he had no interest and thus that put a dent in his confidence.

In my opinion, WR is the second post important position in terms of mindset after kicker. Catching a ball is highly mental (obviously there is a ton of skill involved). A drop can put a good sized dent in a player. A few drops can put a bigger dent. Then the QB loses confidence in that player.

Cooper is no Gurley talent. Cooper is a solid player though and he isn't this bad. However, he really needs a change of scenery for him to succeed at this point. I just don't see him producing on this team anymore. 

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

Cooper is no Gurley talent. Cooper is a solid player though and he isn't this bad. However, he really needs a change of scenery for him to succeed at this point. I just don't see him producing on this team anymore. 

I think many are reaching this conclusion

5 minutes ago, Ryedog87 said:

Hope he goes to Dallas they could use a WR

Dalls-Sea-Redskins-Eagles-buffalo-jets-miami-titans-colts-browns

and

Raiders

Edited by dashoe

Has a WR ever changed teams mid season and been supremely effective for the rest of that season? I remember McCardell and Roy Williams as solid players for their next teams, but was that right away or was there a weeks-long learning curve? 

Unless he goes to Indy/Cleveland/Seattle, it feels to me that his best chance at production, as awful as it is to say, is to stay and hope for a change. 

19 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

Has a WR ever changed teams mid season and been supremely effective for the rest of that season? I remember McCardell and Roy Williams as solid players for their next teams, but was that right away or was there a weeks-long learning curve? 

Unless he goes to Indy/Cleveland/Seattle, it feels to me that his best chance at production, as awful as it is to say, is to stay and hope for a change. 

Josh Gordon seems like he's getting along pretty well in new england...which supposedly has the toughest system to adapt to for wide receivers.

I'm hoping he gets traded but an asking price of an 1st rounder is not going to happen sadly.  If he stays with the Raiders then I see no signs of him putting up a productive year, the team is dysfunctional and Gruden clearly sucks or needs more time to turn the team around.  If I don't find anything better on the wire, I will probably drop him after the trade deadline if I don't see any signs of life.

Edited by skye2388
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

Not in recent memory, Kelvin benjamin was the most recent big name starting wr to be traded and he did squat post trade to a bad team.

Josh Gordon is looking like he will be the exception to the rule

35 minutes ago, skye2388 said:

Josh Gordon seems like he's getting along pretty well in new england...which supposedly has the toughest system to adapt to for wide receivers.

I'm hoping he gets traded but an asking price of an 1st rounder is not going to happen sadly.  If he stays with the Raiders then I see no signs of him putting up a productive year, the team is dysfunctional and Gruden clearly sucks or needs more time to turn the team around.  If I don't find anything better on the wire, I will probably drop him after the trade deadline if I don't see any signs of life.

That's because Josh Gordon is Josh Gordon. Cooper is like if Gordon was smaller, slower, couldn't jump, and couldn't catch. The only thing they have in common is they have spent the last few years making fantasy owners hate them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

That's because Josh Gordon is Josh Gordon. Cooper is like if Gordon was smaller, slower, couldn't jump, and couldn't catch. The only thing they have in common is they have spent the last few years making fantasy owners hate them. 

I've seen a lot of plays where Cooper is blowing by defenders tho creating mad separation and Carr is just missing him or not even bothering to target him.  This being from tape analysis done by football people smarter than me.  So, I'm in the same boat of people who think Amari isn't as much of a bum as other people are making him out to be.

Edited by skye2388
  • Like 2

Saw a couple of A. Cooper's running routes, unfortunately the O-line is an issue as well, which leads to Carr forcing throws.  I hope A. Cooper goes to a team with a decent O-line and QB.

Edited by Lockout King
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, skye2388 said:

I've seen a lot of plays where Cooper is blowing by defenders tho creating mad separation and Carr is just missing him or not even bothering to target him.  This being from tape analysis done by football people smarter than me.  So, I'm in the same boat of people who think Amari isn't as much of a bum as other people are making him out to be.

He's not as much of a bum as some people make him out to be, but he is still in fact....a bum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, skye2388 said:

I think he is #8 in the NFlL with  5 cushion yards being given to him. . . . and yet carr still won't get him the ball think about that  :)

Edited by dashoe
4 hours ago, dashoe said:

I think he is #8 in the NFlL with  5 cushion yards being given to him. . . . and yet carr still won't get him the ball think about that  :)

The usage throughout his career has been an absolute disgrace

• Like 1
4 hours ago, RingMyBell said:

David Carr is definitely the problem here not Amari.  Sorry, I meant Derek Carr, not that there is much difference.....

Carr has not played well but the real problem is the offensive line. D Penn is on IR. Osemele has missed the last two games. Kolton Miller is playing with a bad knee and it's shows. there are a couple other guy's banged up and the Raiders have no depth to cover.

I would monitor the health of the line after the bye week. If they are still as beat up I don't see much changing.

it's tough to drop Cooper because you know he can explode for points at any time. I'm going to error on keeping him on the bench until I see improvement. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, dashoe said:

To add on, there are a few “experts” that put him in the top 10 WR in terms of talent.  

16 minutes ago, K197040 said:

To add on, there are a few “experts” that put him in the top 10 WR in terms of talent.  

Julio, Brown, AJG, Odell, Hopkins, Thomas,  Allen, Evans, Juju, and Hill. Those are just 10 beyond obvious names not including the many more. Those “experts” need a new job. 

Just now, Gohawks said:

Julio, Brown, AJG, Odell, Hopkins, Thomas,  Allen, Evans, Juju, and Hill. Those are just 10 beyond obvious names not including the many more. Those “experts” need a new job. 

At least one of those experts was in the top 10 in fantasy ratings for last year.  I hear what you’re saying but the point being that he’s more than a jag and his lack of production has a lot to do with Oakland.  

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I think he's pretty clearly more physically gifted than both Allen and Juju... Just doesn't have the luxury of playing in top offense with a QB who funnels targets his way. I'd argue that those two are warriors out there, where Coop seems mentally soft, but that doesn't make them more talented.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

I think he's pretty clearly more physically gifted than both Allen and Juju... Just doesn't have the luxury of playing in top offense with a QB who funnels targets his way. I'd argue that those two are warriors out there, where Coop seems mentally soft, but that doesn't make them more talented.

Physically gifted =/ talent. Martavis Bryant is physically gifted. He is not a talented football player. Allen is extremely talented given that he is less physically gifted than many others but still one of the best WRs in the game.

Edited by MJJ28
14 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

I don't think he can run routes or catch balls as well as Allen and Juju, and definitely can't release off the line like Allen.  If by physically gifted you just mean a bigger, faster dude.. okay.  What does that have to do with anything?

12 hours ago, K197040 said:

At least one of those experts was in the top 10 in fantasy ratings for last year.  I hear what you’re saying but the point being that he’s more than a jag and his lack of production has a lot to do with Oakland.  

Congrats... you got a "thank you" from DHC. We all know how rational he is.

• Haha 1