NBC Sports Edge Forums
Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

At some point the excuses have to stop. Sometimes talented players just don't produce the way they were expected too. Carr doesn't throw him the ball because he's dropped a million passes and is weak mentally. Yea, Carr isn't great.... but Cooper is just another uber talented bust so far.

Edited by DillyDilly
  • Like 2
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A QB who can’t throw and a WR who can’t catch. Not a good fit. A perfect fit. 

Amari for me is the 2017 Gurley of WRs.   - Young incredible talent, freak of nature, pedigree coming out of college - Coming off a disaster year after a promising start to NFL career

A first rounder?? A Dallas first rounder no less?? That’s going to be a top-15 pick! The Raiders just fleeced the Cowboys.

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

He's catching nearly 70% of his targets this year. That's not the reason Carr isn't throwing to him.

looking at his 68% catch rate is deceiving: he had a 100% catch rate vs denver, but 30% catch rate vs the rams.

1 hour ago, DillyDilly said:

At some point the excuses have to stop. Sometimes talented players just don't produce the way they were expected too. Carr doesn't throw him the ball because he's dropped a million passes and is weak mentally. Yea, Carr isn't great.... but Cooper is just another uber talented bust so far.

his problem is consistency, but as it's been pointed out earlier on this thread there's no mystery to the amari algorithm: he's horrible vs talented defensive backs, and he's decent against shoddy DBs. a 35% catch rate vs miami, some of the most talented DBs in the league, is no surprise. still, the best way to use cooper is this: drop him so your leaguemates will have to deal with him.

7640120.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=1200:630,off

9427020_web1_web-cooper-101417.jpg

9314031_web1_ap17253681725842.jpg

9314031_web1_web-cooper-092717.jpg

Baldwin at least had an excuse. One, his team used him as a decoy in his first game back. Second, he's coming back from an injury. Cooper has been healthy but suffers from a mad case of the dropsies. Baldwin has been reliable in his career. Cooper has been known as one of the biggest offenders of dropped passes in the NFL. I'd trust Baldwin over cooper. That's why Baldwin is still on my team and Cooper is not. I'd take Baldwin with his two bad knees any day. He could have a bad back and two sprained ankles and I'd take him over Cooper.

Edited by FitzMagic
1 hour ago, FitzMagic said:

Baldwin at least had an excuse. One, his team used him as a decoy in his first game back. Second, he's coming back from an injury. Cooper has been healthy but suffers from a mad case of the dropsies. Baldwin has been reliable in his career. Cooper has been known as one of the biggest offenders of dropped passes in the NFL. I'd trust Baldwin over cooper. That's why Baldwin is still on my team and Cooper is not. I'd take Baldwin with his two bad knees any day. He could have a bad back and two sprained ankles and I'd take him over Cooper.

Yeah those 2 drops this year are really plaguing him. 

Do people really think its coopers fault that he is getting 1 target a game, yet is consistently beating defenders?  Give him 10 targets and the boy produces great numbers.  Coaching in the NFL must be hard.

• Like 1
Just now, CrimsonGhost said:

Yeah those 2 drops this year are really plaguing him. 

Do people really think its coopers fault that he is getting 1 target a game, yet is consistently beating defenders?  Give him 10 targets and the boy produces great numbers.  Coaching in the NFL must be hard.

He hasn't been given the opportunity to drop many passes this year. That's the only reason he hasn't.

2 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

looking at his 68% catch rate is deceiving: he had a 100% catch rate vs denver, but 30% catch rate vs the rams.

his problem is consistency, but as it's been pointed out earlier on this thread there's no mystery to the amari algorithm: he's horrible vs talented defensive backs, and he's decent against shoddy DBs. a 35% catch rate vs miami, some of the most talented DBs in the league, is no surprise. still, the best way to use cooper is this: drop him so your leaguemates will have to deal with him.

7640120.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=1200:630,off

9427020_web1_web-cooper-101417.jpg

9314031_web1_ap17253681725842.jpg

9314031_web1_web-cooper-092717.jpg

I guess because his 68% catch rate is the issue Antonio Brown and his 55% catch rate this year make him un-rosterable garbage? If Cooper could throw himself the ball maybe you would have a point.  He has had drop issues in the past.  That is not the issue this year.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, CrimsonGhost said:

I guess because his 68% catch rate is the issue Antonio Brown and his 55% catch rate this year make him un-rosterable garbage? If Cooper could throw himself the ball maybe you would have a point.  He has had drop issues in the past.  That is not the issue this year.

Catch rate and drop rate are not the same. If a bad ball is thrown you likely aren't going to be able to make the catch. If a good ball is thrown and it hits you right in the hands and numbers and you drop it it is on you. Cooper sucks. If you want to defend him go right ahead. He's got talent, but talent only goes so far.

30 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Catch rate and drop rate are not the same. If a bad ball is thrown you likely aren't going to be able to make the catch. If a good ball is thrown and it hits you right in the hands and numbers and you drop it it is on you. Cooper sucks. If you want to defend him go right ahead. He's got talent, but talent only goes so far.

Correct they are not the same thing.  When did I say they were?  I made 2 comments. 

One was in regards to someone who said his 68% catch rate was bad.  So thank you for making my point by saying that percentage doesn't reflect the receivers play directly.  That would be implied in my statement that "If Cooper could throw himself the ball maybe you would have a point."

My second comment was.  Cooper has had drop issues in the past.  That is not his issue this year.  He has 2 drops.  Behind guys like Thielen who has 4.

He is not getting volume because Carr and the Raiders are trash.  He has 2 games this year with 10 targets each.  What were his numbers in those games?

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, CrimsonGhost said:

I said he (Cooper) drops balls. He's had a history of dropping balls. That has nothing to do with ABs catch rate. You want to give him a chance to drop more balls. Brilliant!

Edited by FitzMagic

Any situations this guy could thrive? dallas springs to mind. You know jerry jones is desperate. He's not paying a first round pick but I'd say a 5th is decent. Hopefully that first round pick news is just for show and they're not totally delusional... then again mark davis

15 minutes ago, DillyDilly said:

We can go through excuses all day long with this guy. But the fact of the matter is that he's worthless and he's scored less than 2 points in standard in 4 out of 6 games this year. That's abysmal.

And over 20 points in one third of his games this year, that's awesome! 

See, we can all say stuff. 

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, DillyDilly said:

We can go through excuses all day long with this guy. But the fact of the matter is that he's worthless and he's scored less than 2 points in standard in 4 out of 6 games this year. That's abysmal.

There are excuses and there is evaluation.

So if you evaluate a guy as being a bad player then he is a bad player but if you evaluate a guy as a good player in a bad situation then that is his situation.

The excuses would come in if you continue to find reasons to place a guy in your lineup who is bad and doesnt produce or is in a bad situation and doesnt produce.

The analysis after 6 games clearly shows Amari is a talented player in a bad situation so there is a lot of risk associated with inserting him into your lineup.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, spidybl said:

Any situations this guy could thrive? dallas springs to mind. You know jerry jones is desperate. He's not paying a first round pick but I'd say a 5th is decent. Hopefully that first round pick news is just for show and they're not totally delusional... then again mark davis

5th rounder for amari? Nah I'd say a 2nd or 3rd would do and maybe throw in someone 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

So if you evaluate a guy as being a bad player then he is a bad player but if you evaluate a guy as a good player in a bad situation then that is his situation.

The excuses would come in if you continue to find reasons to place a guy in your lineup who is bad and doesnt produce or is in a bad situation and doesnt produce.

The analysis after 6 games clearly shows Amari is a talented player in a bad situation so there is a lot of risk associated with inserting him into your lineup.

Amari Cooper stands out as well, and that should come as no surprise. Cooper led the league in drops (18) and drop rate (20.0 percent) in his rookie season (2015), but then seemed to get past the issue in 2016, dropping only four passes. In 2017, Cooper again led the league in drop rate (17.2 percent). Not only are these numbers bad, but they’re historically bad. Since 2007, there have only been three players to see at least 100 targets and post a drop rate of 17 percent or worse: Braylon Edwards (2007 and 2008), Greg Little (2011), and Cooper (2015 and 2017).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-metrics-that-matter-drop-rate

It kind of mirrors his games this season. On one game, then off the next. Drops a bunch of balls one season, then gets past it, then drops more balls the next. He's BAD!

Edited by FitzMagic
2 minutes ago, Ryedog87 said:

5th rounder for amari? Nah I'd say a 2nd or 3rd would do and maybe throw in someone 

gordon went for a fifth rounder but I guess gordon had the drug issues with him more than anything else.

9 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Last year it was the coaching. This year it's Carr. 

Obviously Cooper isn't a bad player, but he's not that good. He's been known for drops through out his career and he's a mental midget who lets things get to his head. 

Oh...And he's worthless in fantasy....again...which is the most important thing because he is drafted for fantasy purposes. 

Edited by DillyDilly
4 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Amari Cooper stands out as well, and that should come as no surprise. Cooper led the league in drops (18) and drop rate (20.0 percent) in his rookie season (2015), but then seemed to get past the issue in 2016, dropping only four passes. In 2017, Cooper again led the league in drop rate (17.2 percent). Not only are these numbers bad, but they’re historically bad. Since 2007, there have only been three players to see at least 100 targets and post a drop rate of 17 percent or worse: Braylon Edwards (2007 and 2008), Greg Little (2011), and Cooper (2015 and 2017).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-metrics-that-matter-drop-rate

It kind of mirrors his games this season. On one game, then off the next. Drops a bunch of balls one season, then gets past it, then drops more balls the next. He's BAD!

Might be the case if it was an accurate statement.  The truth is...On any game he gets targets.  Off any game he doesn't or gets hut.

• Like 1