NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Amari Cooper 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

8 minutes ago, CrimsonGhost said:

Cooper is getting separation.  Watch the game film.  He has 2 drops.  Look at the facts.  OR Keep holding on to past years numbers.

Ok. We know. Carr isn't throwing him the ball. It's been covered. 

That's a huge reason people don't trust him.

Edited by DillyDilly

2 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

Amari Cooper stands out as well, and that should come as no surprise. Cooper led the league in drops (18) and drop rate (20.0 percent) in his rookie season (2015), but then seemed to get past the issue in 2016, dropping only four passes. In 2017, Cooper again led the league in drop rate (17.2 percent). Not only are these numbers bad, but they’re historically bad. Since 2007, there have only been three players to see at least 100 targets and post a drop rate of 17 percent or worse: Braylon Edwards (2007 and 2008), Greg Little (2011), and Cooper (2015 and 2017).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-metrics-that-matter-drop-rate

It kind of mirrors his games this season. On one game, then off the next. Drops a bunch of balls one season, then gets past it, then drops more balls the next. He's BAD!

Except when he doesn't get any targets despite playing nearly 100% of the offensive snaps and running the most routes of the receivers on the team.

8 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

Any chance Oakland figures out how to get this guy the ball during the bye week, he’s sitting as a FA in my league and it doesn’t feel right.

Bump, guess I’m looking for a reason to pick him up

7 minutes ago, wahoos1 said:

Bump, guess I’m looking for a reason to pick him up

Best reason to pick him up is the possibility that he gets traded to a better team where he’ll get a consistent, high, target share. Look at his stats this year. On weeks where he gets a lot of targets he was great. If he goes somewhere like Indy where Luck throws 45 times/week he might see enough targets on a weekly basis to put up great fantasy stats consistently. 

Reports just came out that Dallas is looking into him. IF he gets traded there, it's not the greatest of situations - I'm not the biggest Dak fan and that team will still be run heavy - but certainly puts him back on the map as far as fantasy relevancy goes because IF they make the effort to trade for him, they recognize his talent and would feed him in a way Oakland isn't. 

1 hour ago, ESquared said:

Reports just came out that Dallas is looking into him. IF he gets traded there, it's not the greatest of situations - I'm not the biggest Dak fan and that team will still be run heavy - but certainly puts him back on the map as far as fantasy relevancy goes because IF they make the effort to trade for him, they recognize his talent and would feed him in a way Oakland isn't. 

Dallas isn't great long-term because Dak is limited. But it is great for this season compared to what Amari is getting now in Oakland. Amari has athletic talent compared to Dez. Amari can separate and run deep, so he can hit deep balls from Dak. He won't be as good of a possession guy as Dez, but that isn't Dak's strength anyway. Amari going anywhere but Oakland is a positive this season.

On 18/10/2018 at 5:59 PM, idtran said:

So with trade rumors going around.  Where would the most ideal landing spot be if he was traded?  

The Cowboys, Colts and Redskins all have inquired about the two-time Pro Bowl player, according to ESPN
I Hope he goes to the Colts.

Besides the change of scenery Luck has been airing it out and he might benefit playing with T.Y. Whereas Dallas is a Run First team and he would be covered by opposing teams top CB's there and in Washington. 

Thoughts? 

5 hours ago, NInsko said:

The Cowboys, Colts and Redskins all have inquired about the two-time Pro Bowl player, according to ESPN
I Hope he goes to the Colts.

Besides the change of scenery Luck has been airing it out and he might benefit playing with T.Y. Whereas Dallas is a Run First team and he would be covered by opposing teams top CB's there and in Washington. 

Thoughts? 

The Colts receivers, outside of Hilton, have problems with drops. The last thing they need is Amari Cooper: drop king of the NFL.

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, DezBryant88 said:

Its not going to make a difference if he's traded to the Cowboys.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday and discussing it with a friend. Because Dak's issues are not all that different than Carr's. Dak also doesn't have the confidence to make tight window throws and throw receivers open. That is the reason Dez fell off the map in Dallas with Dak at the helm. Amari can separate and get open deep a lot more often than Dez, but he isn't as good of a possession receiver.

So maybe Dak also wouldn't take advantage of Amari's strengths and pepper him with targets. Amari needs to go somewhere where a QB will pepper him with targets and not play scared.

Just now, ff062018 said:

Being traded to the Cowboys. Source right now is just the Sleeper app. Seems like a great trade for both Amari, his fantasy owners, and the Cowboys. Wish I had tried to acquire Amari

sounds about break even ..only because it really can't get worse right