NBC Sports Edge Forums
Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A QB who can’t throw and a WR who can’t catch. Not a good fit. A perfect fit. 

Amari for me is the 2017 Gurley of WRs.   - Young incredible talent, freak of nature, pedigree coming out of college - Coming off a disaster year after a promising start to NFL career

A first rounder?? A Dallas first rounder no less?? That’s going to be a top-15 pick! The Raiders just fleeced the Cowboys.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Mr.E said:

Amari for me is the 2017 Gurley of WRs.

- Young incredible talent, freak of nature, pedigree coming out of college

- Coming off a disaster year after a promising start to NFL career

- Everyone lost faith in him plummeting his ADP into steal territory

- Going into a season with a coaching overhaul that should help him

(+ Crabtree gone). 

He's exactly the type of potential league-winning pick that I look for every year.

I want to believe.  Drafting at the back of the draft.  If I decide to go RB RB, Cooper will be a target of mine in the late 3rd.

Gruden on record saying he wants the offense to flow throw this guy.  What's not to like?

1 minute ago, CooL said:

I want to believe.  Drafting at the back of the draft.  If I decide to go RB RB, Cooper will be a target of mine in the late 3rd.

Gruden on record saying he wants the offense to flow throw this guy.  What's not to like?

Derek Carr?

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, CooL said:

In no particular order:

- Gruden

- The Oakland Offense

- Carr

Gruden has made some really weird choices, to my mind. The Raiders Offense looks anemic, and Carr is not a bad QB, but hardly top5.

It can still happen, but... Hardly a gimme.

Question is.. has this guy worked on catching the ball? Seems Iike he’s been known for dropping too many passes. I mean this guy is an amazing route runner but won’t matter if he can’t hold onto to the ball. That’s my only hesistation drafting him. 

2 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

I could go either way on carr. He was great 2 years ago and didn’t he and amari both play through injuries last year? But he is coming off a bad year and I’m not sure JG is going to help Carr or this offense as a whole really

I know it was a more than a decade ago, but Jon Gruden got the most out of guys like RIch Gannon and Brad Johnson who had a tenth of the talent of Carr. You can definitely make the argument that the game has passed him by, but the same was said of Dick Vermeil when he returned to coach the Rams and all he did was oversee one of the most prolific offenses of the time. 

Gruden hired the Rams QB coach to be the OC so it's not like they will be running an antiquated system. 

Personally, I am very high on Carr and Cooper this year. Both guys were emerging stars heading into last year and the wheels fell off. Gruden won't allow that to happen again. 

9 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

I could go either way on carr. He was great 2 years ago and didn’t he and amari both play through injuries last year? But he is coming off a bad year and I’m not sure JG is going to help Carr or this offense as a whole really

He only broke his back, no big deal

• Haha 1

Man this guy is really hard to rank this year.  The talent is immense, and if he finished as a WR1 it would surprise few people.  However, the fact that he had what amounts to ZERO production in a third of his games is just impossible to ignore.  He's a true roll of the dice imo.   I have picks #32 (3rd) and #40 (4th) in a 12 teamer and I am interested in him. I remember having a similar question about Deandre Hopkins last year, and he proved to be a steal at his draft slot.  I do like the Gurley comparison too from a glass half full perspective, but man he was so bad for the vast majority of the games that it's hard to invest too early in him.  Depending on the board, I'd totally consider him at pick #40, but I think the names available at #32 will likely make drafting Cooper there too much of a risk to take.  

• Like 1
Just now, LongBalls said:

He's snuck pretty high into the 2nd round in some of my drafts. Dunno if he's getting a bit up there in ADP for my liking.

2nd Round??? I just got him in the middle of the 4th in my 12 team standard.

14 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

He's snuck pretty high into the 2nd round in some of my drafts. Dunno if he's getting a bit up there in ADP for my liking.

He's being going all over in my mocks, as high as late 2nd and as low as early 4th. Polarizing.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not liking his week 1 matchup. I know Cooper is a WR2 on most fantasy teams but I'm benching him. The Raiders will need to pass as they will most likely be down against that defense but I think Amari is going to be erased from the game by the elite CB on him.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, april6e said:

I'm not liking his week 1 matchup. I know Cooper is a WR2 on most fantasy teams but I'm benching him. The Raiders will need to pass as they will most likely be down against that defense but I think Amari is going to be erased from the game by the elite CB on him.

Garbage time stats still count! ? That defense is gonna be lousy even with Mack (if he ever returns) so there will be a lot of games they’re chucking it to catch up

Edited by lvsaint429
1 hour ago, april6e said:

Theyplay the rams right? Think the raiders score <10 points. Maybe cooper sees a lot of targets but this offense as a whole isn’t ready to face the rams, especially if Donald is playing

There's no way I'm not starting a healthy Amari when a healthy Derek Carr is throwing the ball with no Crabtree. Any of your guys can bust week one but you have to test the waters for at least 3 weeks.

Edited by n4sa
9 hours ago, april6e said:

word is that with the cut of Whelan, and the trade of Switzer, Coop will be operating mainly out the slot this season.  

9 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

word is that with the cut of Whelan, and the trade of Switzer, Coop will be operating mainly out the slot this season.  

i think they move him all over the field for the mismatches. This team will be playing from behind quite a bit I think. Jordy+martavis can't really compete with Cooper for targets and Carr and cooper do have a rapport.. QB's tend to favor the guys they know not the new guys coming in they have to learn and adjust too.

Funny thing is Gruden gave ZERO insight on the offense he will run for reg season. he ran the most plain vanilla offense in the preseason

Edited by dashoe
45 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

With as bad as their defense will be without Mack, Cooper should see a lot of volume.

I'd be shocked this year if Amari doesn't go back up to 1000 yds 8 tds. Last year was terrible, and who knows what with Gruden, but you never know if Gruden breathes some fresh air into Cooper's career and into these players as he seems to be a good motivator. Del Rio really sucks as a HC, and he always has.

Healthy Carr, Healthy Cooper, new HC, maybe commitment to Lynch. Cooper is a no-brainer bounce back candidate who can literally be a WR1 this year and you can draft him for a early-4th round price. Easy pick.