NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Gordon 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[We are re-opening this thread on a provisional basis, with an increased focus on keeping the discussion on topic and manageable.  This means that if your comment is not 100% germane to Josh Gordon's fantasy outlook, it is subject to removal, and you will be subject to warning and/or suspension of posting privileges.  There will be no courtesy warnings.  Please contribute to a meaningful fantasy football discussion, or take your commentary elsewhere.]

6 minutes ago, Jvanspro said:

I'm 100% out on this cat.  Can't trust him, he has much bigger demons to worry about.  I will not be investing in Gordon this season.  There are much better WR's to invest in.  I'd rather not deal with this headache week to week.

Going into a draft with this mindset makes no sense to me. I understand having targets and guys you plan to avoid, but at some point a player's reward is worth their risk. 

If I am looking at WR3/4s later in a draft-- that may or may not even be on your roster at years end-- why not consider a guy like Gordon who has proven WR1 upside? 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His decision to skip the start of training camp is said to be a proactive measure, with the 27-year-old wideout seeking extra counseling in preparation for his full NFL season since 2013.

1 minute ago, Grayson2401 said:

Going into a draft with this mindset makes no sense to me. I understand having targets and guys you plan to avoid, but at some point a player's risk is worth their reward. 

If I am looking at WR3/4s later in a draft-- that may or may not even be on your roster at years end-- why not consider a guy like Gordon who has proven WR1 upside? 

I tend to disagree with this thought process.  I think every pick matters.  Especially when trying to build depth.  You have to go in with a plan and for me I want zero part of the Gordon experience.

Just now, Jvanspro said:

I tend to disagree with this thought process.  I think every pick matters.  Especially when trying to build depth.  You have to go in with a plan and for me I want zero part of the Gordon experience.

Every pick does matter...

You're going into a draft believing rumors and disregarding official statements. So, it matters if you don't pick a player based off of recent rumors that aren't validated.

If gordon is there in the 6th... you take him. His ceiling offers way more opportunity for your team than most 6th rounders.

1 minute ago, Jvanspro said:

Every pick matters. I am not saying the opposite.

So you would not consider Gordon with your last pick? 

45 minutes ago, Farfromhome said:

I agree with u mostly Grayson... But it's about risk and reward... What's the best case scenario... This isn't Dez of a few years ago... Best case can he get u 1000 yards and maybe 10 tds? Possible I guess... Doubtful but possible... What's the risk?...he comes in and alienates teammates and the  "all eyes on him" takes away from the team.... Just doesn't seem worth it.. Imo

It's not a very good fit.   At this point in his career, Dez's best use would be for the things that Landry does so much better.

1 minute ago, Jvanspro said:

He's had 7 months to get this together.  He has real demons, football should not be his priority.  I wouldn't be shocked if he relapsed.

Do some research before making comments like this.

Every report states that he hasn't had a relapse, hasn't been in violation with any policy, and has been working his a** off.

This move, not showing up for training camp, which the team and doctors support... is just maintenance for the upcoming season.

Just now, Grayson2401 said:

Every pick matters. I am not saying the opposite.

So you would not consider Gordon with your last pick? 

For one he won't be there regardless.  However, there are so many WR that I don't need to invest in Gordon.

2 minutes ago, Jvanspro said:

He's had 7 months to get this together.  He has real demons, football should not be his priority.  I wouldn't be shocked if he relapsed.

I think it's highly likely he relapsed.   Maybe he's the exception but it usually takes a relapse before an addict will go back in to treatment.

2 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

Every pick does matter...

You're going into a draft believing rumors and disregarding official statements. So, it matters if you don't pick a player based off of recent rumors that aren't validated.

If gordon is there in the 6th... you take him. His ceiling offers way more opportunity for your team than most 6th rounders.

You misunderstood me.  I didn't say he relapsed.  I said I wouldn't be surprised if he did, meaning during the season.  

23 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

They also said they "absolutely" expect him to play this season. I do not believe there are any possibilities of (just) suspensions for Josh Gordon. It is basically banishment from the league with any more infractions. If they expect him to play this season, you have to assume they do not expect any suspensions. 

I'm not worried about a suspension necessarily. It's more the fact that there seems to be a great deal of uncertainty about the timeframe of his return and where his current mental health is. I majorly applaud him for sticking to his treatment plan and putting his mental health before football but, for fantasy purposes, missing significant training camp time for a guy that hasn't played a full season since 2013 and is playing with a new quarterback, is cause for concern. If that wasn't enough to make potential owners pause, the GM of the team is now openly discussing the possibility of bringing in the best free agent receiver on the open market. I feel like it is a pretty objective take to be concerned about his fantasy value at this point.

1 minute ago, Grayson2401 said:

LOL that you would not take a risk on Gordon with your last pick. I do not believe you, but your hardheaded belief is admirable. 

I'd much rather Handcuff my RB then take Gordon with my last pick.  We don't even know what he is at this point.  It's been 5 years since he's done anything significant in the league.

I only do auctions.  And provided there is no suspension, Josh will be on my roster.  My eyes are wide open, and am prepared to deal with the various peaks and valleys.  To me, his upside is worth it.  I just can't quit you, man.

28 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

So if Gordon slides to the 7th or 8th round, is it still an easy pass? 

For the most part, yea. It just depends on how the draft is going but I find this dude and everything around his football career to be an absolute total joke 

4 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

I only do auctions.  And provided there is no suspension, Josh will be on my roster.  My eyes are wide open, and am prepared to deal with the various peaks and valleys.  To me, his upside is worth it.  I just can't quit you, man.

Agree.  He's a potential league winner. 

Just now, Jvanspro said:

I'd much rather Handcuff my RB then take Gordon with my last pick.  We don't even know what he is at this point.  It's been 5 years since he's done anything significant in the league.

He basically put up WR2 numbers in his 5 games last season with one of the worst NFL QBs ever and having been away for multiple seasons. I get the off the field concerns, but if you watched him play or watched tape, you would clearly see he is still an extremely talented WR with an elite skill set. 

But good luck stocking up on handcuffs instead. 

9 minutes ago, Jvanspro said:

As much concern as there is there is with Gordon at the moment (and rightfully so), this is a foolish take.

11 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

He basically put up WR2 numbers in his 5 games last season with one of the worst NFL QBs ever and having been away for multiple seasons. I get the off the field concerns, but if you watched him play or watched tape, you would clearly see he is still an extremely talented WR with an elite skill set. 

But good luck stocking up on handcuffs instead. 

We should be very happy there are so many people still turned off by Gordon.  I hope there are more of these people in my leagues. 

Archived