NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Gordon 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[We are re-opening this thread on a provisional basis, with an increased focus on keeping the discussion on topic and manageable.  This means that if your comment is not 100% germane to Josh Gordon's fantasy outlook, it is subject to removal, and you will be subject to warning and/or suspension of posting privileges.  There will be no courtesy warnings.  Please contribute to a meaningful fantasy football discussion, or take your commentary elsewhere.]

10 hours ago, joshua18 said:

To Josh Gordon owners...sell low while you can! (and no, I'm no longer interested in buying low):

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24191752/cleveland-browns-discussed-adding-wr-dez-bryant-mix

No way would they be even considering Dez if Gordon's predicament was as smooth as they've portrayed. Teams lie, roster moves don't. 

8 hours ago, bigslick631 said:

Did anyone bother to read this article? lol

It says they had 'discussions about Dez'....well No ****!! He may be well past his prime but he is former 3x probowler and one of the best receivers of his generation, currently without a job looking for a new home. The staff would need to be a bunch of morons not to at least talk about him. I'm sure the staff of EVERY NFL team has talked about him.

7 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Discussions they weren't having before this latest Gordon incident. Do the math.

Roster moves are good source of what teams think about players.

Just to add to this, if they thought Gordon was going to just miss camp they'd bring in a camp body (ie a player at the minimum).  They're talking about bringing in Dez Bryant.  That is basically "looking for a solution at WR".

Maybe it was some kind of discussion about contingencies if Gordon does not return (after all they didn't sign Dez yet), but it's not a good omen.  It basically sounds like Josh Gordon not coming back this season is on the table.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

It basically sounds like Josh Gordon not coming back this season is on the table.

Of course it's on the table.  Just like him returning tomorrow is also on the table.  As long as there's a possibility he's not ready for week 1 (46 days away) a team has to be discussing 'what if'.  You have to discuss what the cut off date is before you bring someone in.  If Gordon isn't back for week 2 of the preseason do you get someone in?  Week 3?  If he says he'll be back week 4 of the regular season, do you get a replacement, or ride your current roster?  If you want to bring someone in, do you get a vet?  If you want a vet, do you bring them in now, or after week 1, to avoid the Vet Minimum?  Do you get a younger developmental player?  Do you start discussing moving from him all together?  Do you bring someone in to play JG's position OR do you move Coleman to JG's position, and bring someone in to take the WR3 spot?

These are all things that have to be discussed right now, you have to have a list ready, a plan of attack, and be prepared for any outcome.  The team likely knows just as much as us, so they have to treat their NFL team, just like we would treat our fantasy team if you owned JG already.  Do you rush to the WW?  Do you make a trade?  Do you just move your WR4 into your flex spot, etc etc.  Anyone, real or fake football, not discussing their options as we approach week 1 of preseason, is doing themselves a disservice.

The Browns have to prepare, even if only mental or theory or hypothetical, for all potential outcomes.  Anyone pretending as if the Browns preparing for all outcomes, is a sign that needs to be looked into, is just blowing smoke.  This is the absolute logical progression of the scenario and it was never going to play out any other way.  They don't know when he's coming back, so discussions have to be had about Plan A, B, C and beyond.  That should be obvious, and shouldn't be used as ammunition against him, nor for him.  It's just the reality of what every reasonable human being should have assumed from the first moment the news broke.

Tl;dr

Teams #1WR might miss time, team is exploring all options available to them.

Non-story.  Bunch of TMZ reporters in here.

Just now, FFCollusion said:

Of course it's on the table.  Just like him returning tomorrow is also on the table.

These are all things that have to be discussed right now, you have to have a list ready, a plan of attack, and be prepared for any outcome.  The team likely knows just as much as us,

They likely know more about the situation than we do.

He's missing the start of camp for mental issues could mean anything from "His goldfish died" to "He was snorting coke off of Jane Skinner's a** and Goodell walked in".

Seriously though, if it's just anxiety issues you'd expect him back soon.  You don't talk about blowing 10M on Dez Bryant unless there is some possibility Gordon doesn't return.

If they sign Dez, it's a huge blow to Josh Gordon's fantasy value even if he does come back at some point.

It's going to be a fun season of hard knocks.

32 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

He's missing the start of camp for mental issues could mean anything from "His goldfish died" to "He was snorting coke off of Jane Skinner's a** and Goodell walked in".

Is it possible he was snorting coke off of Goodells a** and Jane Skinner walked in?

6 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Just to add to this, if they thought Gordon was going to just miss camp they'd bring in a camp body (ie a player at the minimum).  They're talking about bringing in Dez Bryant.  That is basically "looking for a solution at WR".

Maybe it was some kind of discussion about contingencies if Gordon does not return (after all they didn't sign Dez yet), but it's not a good omen.  It basically sounds like Josh Gordon not coming back this season is on the table.

Nowhere in the article did it say 'they were talking about bringing in Dez'. They were discussing Dez cause he is a top end FA that I am sure every team has discussed. That's all. But please keep up the DND talk....hopefully everyone from my FF leagues will get persuaded by the nonsense. Keep the ADP dropping. They later I can grab him the better. 

8 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Dorsey tried to trade for Alex Smith  and then signed Tyrod Taylor passing on a prove it contract with Hue's choice AJM when he knew he was taking a QB with the #1 pick.  He also signed Carlos Hyde and resigned Duke knowing he was drafting a RB, when he could have signed cheaper options. 

I think potentially signing Dez is not a singular view on the outlook of Josh Gordon, It's a legit move when he looks at his position depth. He loses landry or Gordon he is left with questionable production from Coleman+callaway+higgins. Dez is an expensive insurance policy to avoid a losing season.  

Dorsey has already hedged his QB+rb positions with high price talent when he could have went with much cheaper options. makes sense to hedge the wr position too

8 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Just the fact they mentioned Dez at this point is ominous. People can say it's related to Coleman, they've been talking about the liability of Coleman for a month and Dez was never mentioned. The infatuation will not abate for some no matter what, but that's been the case for years with him and just makes the rest of us have access to players during the draft who will actually help us win our leagues.

37 minutes ago, The Invictus said:

Just the fact they mentioned Dez at this point is ominous. People can say it's related to Coleman, they've been talking about the liability of Coleman for a month and Dez was never mentioned. The infatuation will not abate for some no matter what, but that's been the case for years with him and just makes the rest of us have access to players during the draft who will actually help us win our leagues.

First off, I think it's just due diligence on the part of the Browns. Whether you think Gordon will be back in 10 days or not, he is a huge risk based on his history of suspensions.

Second, I think it's a huge mistake to bring in Dez. Dez is a cancer and cancers are fine when they are playing at an elite level on playoff teams. When they start slowing down, they can destroy a team's chemistry. There is a reason the Cowboys want no part of him with a young Dak. Well, the Browns have a young Baker. The last thing you want is Dez yelling at Baker for not passing him the ball enough. 

So while I understand why the Browns are kicking the tires on Dez, it would be a huge mistake to bring him in. 

13 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

First off, I think it's just due diligence on the part of the Browns. Whether you think Gordon will be back in 10 days or not, he is a huge risk based on his history of suspensions.

Second, I think it's a huge mistake to bring in Dez. Dez is a cancer and cancers are fine when they are playing at an elite level on playoff teams. When they start slowing down, they can destroy a team's chemistry. There is a reason the Cowboys want no part of him with a young Dak. Well, the Browns have a young Baker. The last thing you want is Dez yelling at Baker for not passing him the ball enough. 

So while I understand why the Browns are kicking the tires on Dez, it would be a huge mistake to bring him in. 

I agree with you for the most part, I don't see the long term benefit to a young team trying to reset a losing culture, maybe finally... by bringing in Dez. But it does say something about the prognosis of the WR Corp of not having Gordon available possibly for an extended period.

Not touching this dude with a 10 foot pole!!  Too much baggage!  There’s a 10% chance that he starts all 16 games this year and tears it up like he did way back in 2013.  I’ll leave that up to the gamblers out there that want to take a risk.  Price is way to high in drafts this year to chase stats from 5 years ago.  Good luck!

I went to bed with an offer to the gordon owner in one of my leagues that included my 2019 first round pick woke up thinking eff please don't have taken that.... I go back and forth thinking he's a buy low or a leave the headache for someone else.... I've owned him previously suspended years and it's been a roster clog....I'd still draft him I'd still trade for him but if it's a holdout for more money??? This guy needs a new agent.... he's on a prove it basis right now.... play this year play clean and beast then you can use some leverage.... but right now he should have none....if this is a mental thing I'm not sure where I stand... I get some people can't cope and need something to help them....85 percent of the world is medicated.... medicinal legal and illegal alcohol sex heck maybe he's addicted to thank yous....either way wish him luck like to have seen 10 years of what he could do clean and rocking...

43 minutes ago, FlashGordon401 said:

So the Browns took him off the NFI list, and put him on the DNR list instead. Speculation that there could be a holdout.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/25/browns-reverse-course-place-josh-gordon-on-did-not-report-list/

I have a hard time believing that this went from a "medical" situation to a holdout situation overnight, but then again this is the Browns and Josh Gordon so anything is possible. If this is a holdout situation (which i doubt) that is actually better news for Gordon owners. 

2 hours ago, FlashGordon401 said:

So the Browns took him off the NFI list, and put him on the DNR list instead. Speculation that there could be a holdout.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/25/browns-reverse-course-place-josh-gordon-on-did-not-report-list/

From my understanding this was done so they’d have the roster spot available to bring in a camp body. If he stayed on the NFI list they wouldn’t be able to bring in someone with out making a cut.

4 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

Think? I can't quit this guy... I feel like addict. lol

Something we have in common with JG, cause i still want to grab him if his adp gets low enough lmao

2 hours ago, reichl555 said:

Not touching this dude with a 10 foot pole!!  Too much baggage!  There’s a 10% chance that he starts all 16 games this year and tears it up like he did way back in 2013.  I’ll leave that up to the gamblers out there that want to take a risk.  Price is way to high in drafts this year to chase stats from 5 years ago.  Good luck!

Bingo!!  0% chance I'm wasting draft capital on this idiot.

2 minutes ago, Jvanspro said:

Bingo!!  0% chance I'm wasting draft capital on this idiot.

What an idiot trying to turn his life around and taking precautionary steps to making sure his addiction doesn't win again. An absolute and total dumb a** am I right?

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

What an idiot trying to turn his life around and taking precautionary steps to making sure his addiction doesn't win again. An absolute and total dumb a** am I right?

I'm all for the guy getting his life together.  That doesn't mean he's not an idiot and I should invest in him.  Major difference.

21 minutes ago, Jvanspro said:

I'm all for the guy getting his life together.  That doesn't mean he's not an idiot and I should invest in him.  Major difference.

Not sure how anyone can see his behavior since his last suspension as idiotic but ok.

29 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

Not sure how anyone can see his behavior since his last suspension as idiotic but ok.

Think it's just this... just reports of great off season and no trouble to days later no showing for camp.... leaves a sour taste all the confusion... so gotta take what most say with grain of salt....cause they are salty.... I get it.... I also get great off season now being put in question cause he's trying to get right or get paid or whatever he's doing....that's why the rub..... that said trade to the cowboys for a 3rd round pick incoming in t minus.... no proof just saying why not.... surely the Browns are fed up...

31 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

oh you mean, play 5 games, train the entire offseason, show up everyday for OTA's, follow the requirements mandated by the NFL and team with rehab and testing, admits to the world that he needs some time before training camp starts to calibrate his treatment instead of  relapsing and spiraling down in the darkness of lies and concealment thus destroying all of his positive efforts to this day?

Yea, what an idiot! :lol:

Archived