NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Gordon 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[We are re-opening this thread on a provisional basis, with an increased focus on keeping the discussion on topic and manageable.  This means that if your comment is not 100% germane to Josh Gordon's fantasy outlook, it is subject to removal, and you will be subject to warning and/or suspension of posting privileges.  There will be no courtesy warnings.  Please contribute to a meaningful fantasy football discussion, or take your commentary elsewhere.]

19 minutes ago, dashoe said:

They have him locked up tight he is still on his rookie comp and is a RFA in 2019 and a FA in 2020. 

There is zero incentive to trade him before 2019 given his contract is peanuts

Has he agreed to play for the Browns as a ERFA, because I missed it in the news (?)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Has he agreed to play for the Browns as a ERFA, because I missed it in the news (?)

He doesnt have a choice if they tag him with a EFRA deal. He either plays for them or no one. 

All you have is 5 games on tape so I think if you are the Browns you have to tag him with the efra and then give him a contract extension after he plays the full season.

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

He doesnt have a choice if they tag him with a EFRA deal. He either plays for them or no one. 

All you have is 5 games on tape so I think if you are the Browns you have to tag him with the efra and then give him a contract extension after he plays the full season.

If he chooses not to play = he still has a choice.  Not sure, now that he is reinstated, he's game to play for what he sees as below-market $.

If the Browns can get a nice conditional pick for him, they should contemplate it...nobody will give them the pick required to steal him once he is a RFA in '19

On 1/31/2018 at 3:29 PM, psygolf said:

Very little talk about Gordon being on a new team next year, why?

With his suspension history nobody's going to trade for him beyond giving up a late round pick and CLE would never do a deal like that. He stuck in CLE. 

On 1/31/2018 at 6:47 PM, psygolf said:

If he chooses not to play = he still has a choice.  Not sure, now that he is reinstated, he's game to play for what he sees as below-market $.

If the Browns can get a nice conditional pick for him, they should contemplate it...nobody will give them the pick required to steal him once he is a RFA in '19

You really think he has a choice to play or not?? He was given a lottery ticket  and not playing would be throwing that away. 

He is not playing for below market value.  He made his market value with his decisions and is one strike from being banned.  While talent usually determines market value but when you have done what he has. His market value comes off those bad decisions.  Any normal talent wouldn't even be given this chance.  He will play this year out(hopefully he doesn't do something stupid) and cash in on that lottery ticket.

On 1/31/2018 at 9:47 PM, psygolf said:

Then that means he is not playing football. The point is he doesnt have choice but to play for the Browns if he is tagged and if he wants to play football

7 hours ago, youngrice said:

You really think he has a choice to play or not?? He was given a lottery ticket  and not playing would be throwing that away. 

He is not playing for below market value.  He made his market value with his decisions and is one strike from being banned.  While talent usually determines market value but when you have done what he has. His market value comes off those bad decisions.  Any normal talent wouldn't even be given this chance.  He will play this year out(hopefully he doesn't do something stupid) and cash in on that lottery ticket.

Maybe...if so, the Browns will again be looking for a big wr in '19.

I'd at least shop him around before he gets his chance to escape Cleveland.

26 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Gordon's chance to escape Cleveland will arrive in 2020.  Suspensions toll the rookie contract, the Browns still hold his rights.  If Gordon is playing at an All Pro level by then, Cleveland will franchise tag him.  The price of the tag for WR is now (and probably will still be by then) pretty reasonable as compared to some other positions like defensive end, left tackle, and quarterback.

So there is no need for updates or reports on Gordon's status.  He is and will remain a Brown unless he gets himself suspended again.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Gordon's chance to escape Cleveland will arrive in 2020.  Suspensions toll the rookie contract, the Browns still hold his rights.  If Gordon is playing at an All Pro level by then, Cleveland will franchise tag him.  The price of the tag for WR is now (and probably will still be by then) pretty reasonable as compared to some other positions like defensive end, left tackle, and quarterback.

So there is no need for updates or reports on Gordon's status.  He is and will remain a Brown unless he gets himself suspended again.

I think the price to franchise tag a wr is one of the more over-inflated tags (upwards of $16m), imo

4 hours ago, psygolf said:

Really depends on how their year goes.  If Cleveland repeats the last two years but Gordon is killing it.  Then they probably would dangle him on the trade market.

He should get 15 targets a game no matter the QB. That should be in their playbook. He looked like the best fantasy WR at times late last season. Shades of Megatron .. The only issue is this off-season .. Free time = The Devil’s time .. So hopefully he keeps his head on straight 

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Flyers_28 said:

is the arrival of landry a good or bad thing ?

i cant decide

too early to tell but initial thought is he's playing the slot so taking Higgins role, but he's much better so maybe he can convert looks into TDs where Higgins couldn't? (so they went to Gordon??) ..reaching though  ..maybe JG won't be overpriced coming into drafts now. 

10 minutes ago, Flyers_28 said:

is the arrival of landry a good or bad thing ?

i cant decide

If Cleveland ends up with a QB that is only confident throwing 5 yard passes, the addition of Landry hurts Gordon.  If they get some big strapping stud QB who likes to chuck it downfield, Gordon is going to be just fine.

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If Cleveland ends up with a QB that is only confident throwing 5 yard passes, the addition of Landry hurts Gordon.  If they get some big strapping stud QB who likes to chuck it downfield, Gordon is going to be just fine.

If you're a Gordon owner you want Josh Rosen in Cleveland.  Kid throws a great deep ball. 

5 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

I have to say with Taylor in the mix I am truly interested now in this Cleveland offense. These are some serious weapons 

Add Barkley and this offense should be a serious contender. 

Yes! so excited about tyrod taylor for josh Gordon, he is amazing at scrambling to allow the deep ball to setup and he has a "last chance to prove I should start" and "i'm going to be replaced next year anyway by the rookie they draft" mentality... he's going to take risks to make big plays and become a fan favorite. Big year for both Gordon and landry coming!

1 hour ago, Iron-cock said:

Maybe the Browns move Gordon now?

Granted his skill set doesn't overlap with Landry at all, but they have Corey Coleman too.

that would be the dumbest GM move ever given he is still on his rookie contract and costs them nothing; they could never get his true value in return

Archived